87 VFR700 Problems

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Fender13Bender, Apr 12, 2010.

1. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Ask the frame seller if the title has any ENGINE # shown on it. Or better yet have him scan it into his computer & email it to you. I bet it doesn't. Neither of my cycles has any engine # shown. I agree with all crusty has said & hope to streamline your process.

In snooping around pendot it may be that notarization by the seller is required. So, the seller would sign on the back of his title, the name of the owner EXACTLY as it appears on the front. He does this in front of a notary, who is verifying that yes he signed it & he is the person. His bank will have a notary. Probably $10.00 or so. I would also have the bill of sale notarized at the same time. I would have my bill of sale something like this. Sold this day march %% , 2011, one used 1987 Honda VFR700F, VIN# **************. Sold as is, and paid in full. Then a little further down show seller: put his name, address,phone., & room for the notary to stamp it. You also have "buyer", name, address, phone. Or you can fill it in when it arrives. Point is the sellers signatures get the notarizing.

The following is critical. If you look at the VIN id plate attached to your frame on the right side of your bike, then just look a few more inches towards the front for a raised flat area on the steering stem. May require flashlight to see. There is a number imprinted into the raised area that should match your VIN id tag exactly. When you take you cycle for inspection, thats the first thing they check. If the vin tag glued to you frame & the stamped number on the steering stem do not match perfectly then its game over. So if your title thats coming vin# matches the stem stamping on the frame that is coming then things are looking better. Now if theres no engine # shown on the title thats coming things are way way better. If the seller accommodate s you by notarizing the title & bill of sale and makes the bill of sale out as shown above or even with motorcycle added to it then you are in good shape. If he calls it frame & title then you will probably spend more time satisfying the licensing requirements for an " assembled title" or whatever they call in in Pa when you make a cycle from several.

Also appears the cycle will need be roadworthy when they see it.

2. Fender13Bender

Fender13Bender New Member

Bumpity bump

[​IMG]

3. Fender13Bender

Yes, I did what you think I did, for a title.

It actually wasn't that bad, me and two buddies had it 90% done in less than 5 hours, yikes! Finished it the next day, got the title swapped over, and cleaned it. Now it's for sale :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done

[​IMG]

4. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    WOW! Well done. Really makes a nice appearance. The fairings & tank are outstanding. I really like it just the way it is. Gonna be tough for a prospective buyer to walk away from that!

Do you have another cycle project in mind? Or does a new cycle & lots of road time appeal more?(since riding season is here).

Crusty, whats your take on this?

5. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    heya matt bender. =] i am the one who once owned that frame sir. i'm glad that the frame worked out well for you. guys on these forums are great and gave me alot of help when i had my time with my vfr. that a good looking bike you put together man. i'm impressed. that is alot more work then i was willing to do to fix my vfr. looks good and glad to see it worked out for you.

Jimmy

6. Fender13Bender

Thanks guys.

I would actually prefer to keep it, it's my first bike and I put a lot of work into it, but I would like to buy a newer fuel inject 1000cc bike. I'm really looking into CBR954rrs.

Any suggestions on bikes?

I have it listed for $2300, I want to get 2k out of it, but I'm not sure if that's too high.

And hey man, I didn't know you were a part of the forums haha, thanks again! That was a huge help for you to ship that to me.

7. VF Tron Special

VF Tron Special New Member

simple, Turn off bike, disconnect the fuel line going to carbs , or anywhere after the pump. Helps if ya drain it into a gas can. And turn the bike on, the pump should cycle till it achieves pressure. You should hear a clicking sound while the pump primes.
    Sound like you have water in the tank. Same thin happened to me, I drained carb 4 till I go clear gas, I was about 2/3 water. I used a test tube to see the separation. I attached the photo below. So drain the tank, and cycle new gas with a water remover. A lil sea-foam wouldn't hurt either.

Attached Files:

8. VF Tron Special

VF Tron Special New Member

Oh forgot make sure you drain each carb using the drain screw at the bottom, I use a Nylon tubing so I can see the gas, and stop the draining when it goes clear. And a good way not to get gas all over your bike.

9. Fender13Bender

That was from a while ago, haha. Bike, fuel pump, etc are working good.

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    nicely done on the paint

11. S3V

S3V New Member

Not sure if you ever got this worked out or not, but I had the exact same issue with mine and it turned out to be dirty contacts in the turn signal switch. Opened up the switch, sprayed out the contacts with Electronic cleaner and everything worked perfectly after that.

12. Fender13Bender

Yup, turns out the turn signal relay was missing, but thanks!

Also, I have this bike for sale, if anyone is interested, or knows someone, pm me or email at fender13bender@hotmail.com.

I have it listed at $1999, not sure if that's a fair price, but I think it is.

13. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    What mine will look like in about 2 weeks when my stator and rectifier get here and i get that beast painted!! nice job dude!

14. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Hey fender13bender did you get that CBR?

15. skymasteres

skymasteres New Member

I was having the exact same issue with mine. Turns out the switch just needed some contact cleaner and it was fine.

16. Btown

Btown New Member

United States
    Hi I was reading all your comments and I actually have a question for you about the fuel line do you have a diagram of the fuel lines my bike starts up it runs when I put gas straight to the carburetors but when I attach all of the gas tank and the fuel filter with the fuel pump it doesn't want to fire up I don't know

17. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, this is a really old thread.

The important thing to remember is that the fuel pump is actually designed to pull vacuum on the input side through the filter, into the tank, through the side switch and into the gas itself.

So you can remove the tank and get your bike running by pouring a little gas in the tank line then when it's running make sure you feel vacuum on the fuel line from the fuel pump. Also make sure that your fuel line from the pump to the tank is brand new. Any type of small crack can cause a loss of vacuum and the pump will not be able to pull any fuel out of the tank.

There's also a small chance you could be losing vacuum at the petcock valve.

Do you know how to jumper the safety switch to make the fuel pump work while the engine is off?

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    "Do you know how to jumper the safety switch to make the fuel pump work while the engine is off ?"

safety switch ??????????? in other words, the fuel pump relay. it's in the manual, one jumper wire fixes it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  19. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    Are you under the impression that I was asking how to do this?

No, no, I was asking b-town if he knew how to do it because this could help him to diagnose his issue.

He could disconnect the fuel outlet from the pump and run it to a bucket or something. Then he could bypass the safety relay and see if the pump is pulling fuel or air. He might be able to hear if there is a leak.

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

not at all.

just thought "safety switch" needed better explanation as a safety switch isn't mentioned in The Manual