'86 VF500 won't start

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Mikey30006, May 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I definitely recall seeing that aftermarket fairing, although I believe also UK models came with a different fairing.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Those are Lockhart-Phillips (or Airtech) lowers. Airtech used the LP design for their lowers.
    http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VF5001983-86.htm

In the original picture of that bike you can see the Lockhart sticker.
    VF-LP.JPG

3. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    Very cool, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to run with it on or not but I don't think it looks too bad eh?

4. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    So, just thought I'd give you guys an update.

In a nutshell I'm an idiot. This all started yesterday around 5 pm. I ordered new handgrips for my bike because the ones on there were really gross (kind of rotting away).

Get the old ones off no problem, go to put the new ones on, they're a little shorter than the old ones (about 7mm). That's fine, I'm a pretty handy guy, I slide the left hand control outwards a little, looks great!

So I go to the right side, the issue is, the throttle tube is too long.. Like an idiot, my solution is to take the throttle tube off completely instead of loosening it slightly, sliding it so the 7mm hangs off the end of the bar and taking a hacksaw to it while it's still attached. Anyway so I disassemble this hand control housing the starter, kill switch and throttle. disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle tube and wiggle the tube away from the rest of the housing so I can take it off.

At this point in time, I hear a click somewhere down in the engine... after about 15 minutes of looking around I discover that there is a little wheel on the other end of the throttle cables attaching them to the carbs and the "throttle open" cable has disconnected from this wheel. The downside is that there is absolutely no way to get anywhere near close enough to this wheel with fingers or needle nose pliers to reinstall the cable.

I go to the manual.

1) remove tank
    2) remove air intake box
    3) remove air intake manifold
    4) "GENTLY" remove carbs

(This took an hour with a prybar and silicone lube)

5) rock the carbs backwards to access this wheel
    6) barely fit my (relatively small hands) in to the carb assembly to reattach this cable
    7) spend an hour with more lube and a mallet trying to get the carbs back in
    8) lube and tighten throttle cables
    9) reattach everything at the handlebars
    10) I haven't put everything back together yet but just pray to god I haven't messed up and of the little linkages between the carbs

I'm going back out tomorrow night to work on it.. I really hope I haven't royally screwed anything up :(

5. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    So, I went back out last night. Put it all back together, thank god it started up first try and seems to run okay! If anything the throttle response is better now after adjustment.

My only worry is I found a spring.. it's very fine gauge wire, about 1/2" wide and about 3/4" long.. my assumption is it fell off the carb assembly somewhere but I have no idea where from. Everything seems to be working right now so I'm hesitant to mess with it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

6. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    Those little springs do sound very familiar. I think it fits between the throttle shaft adjuster plates between the pairs of carbs. Should be two of those springs - one between the front pair and one between the rear pair. There is a little space between the flat sides of each adjuster plate between the carbs, that spring goes there. I can take a pic is you need to see what I'm talking about. I have some larger V4 racks to show you what I mean. There's also grainy diagrams like this:
    http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1985/VF500F+A/CARBURETOR+II/parts.html

There's a whole lot of external springs on these carbs, LOL. Each adjuster is a screw with a spring, and there is an opposing spring between the throttle shaft adjuster plates.

I'm glad you're willing to tackle these problems yourself. These are great little bikes. But you're getting to the reason why everyone hates the Honda V4. Even seemingly easy jobs end up being a weekend projects. VF500f. The carbs are the worst - a complete PITA. Worst single design I've ever seen on a gasoline motor.

7. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada

I think I understand the springs you mean, one of them definitely fell off the little flanges that interface the rear two carbs together, it was only about 1/4" wide and maybe 1/2" long. I was able to reinstall it with needle nose pliers. The other spring I have in my toolbox now which fell off from somewhere (really no idea where yet) is larger; about 1/2" wide and 3/4" long.

I'm having a hard time locating the interface between the front two carbs or is it integrated with the little wheel holding the throttle cables?

what about the interface joining the rotation of that throttle wheel and the rear carbs? Could this spring be from somewhere in there or maybe something to do with choke operation?

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow or saturday of the spring I have loose right now.

Thanks for your time!

8. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Mikey I have mine on the bench right now if you want me to take a look.

9. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I see one jammed in between the synchronizer screws for the rear carbs, 7/16" diameter, and it has about 6 or 7 wraps. It is concentric to the throttle plate shaft, and is wedged between the two sheet metal lobes with the synchronizer screws. There is also a similar spring for the front syncs, at the cable wheel, and has about 4 wraps. The only small spring I see is heavier gauge, .25" diameter, and has about 7-8 wraps, and it's the idle adjuster knob spring.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Get it sorted?

11. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    I have not yet found the spot for that spring, all the places I think should have springs do already... The bike runs great right now and I'm hesitant to mess with it..

I'm tackling a different problem right now though. My faring came with a broken off mount on the right side. I had never done any fiberglass before but figured there's a first time for everything. It didn't turn out pretty but it's hidden anyway and it's very strong. I'll post pics and steps of my process!

1) Purchase a $20 glassing kit from canadian tire
    WP_20150623_004.jpg WP_20150626_004.jpg

2) Lightly sandblast the area to be glassed (sandpaper would work just as well, I'm just lazy and happen to have a blast cabinet)
    WP_20150623_005.jpg

3) I used a piece of cardstock and a pencil to make a template of the other side (which was not broken) I then cut this template out of 1/16" thick aluminum using a band saw, drill press and pedestal grinder.
    WP_20150625_002.jpg

4) I laid the first layer of glass over the opening and let it cure overnight to give me a good, flat working surface
    WP_20150626_001.jpg

5) I sandwiched the aluminum insert between several more pieces of fiberglass, taking care to make sure I got all the bubbles out and had atached the fibreglass to an adequate amount of surface area inside the fairing to make sure it would be strong.
    WP_20150626_003.jpg

6) After leaving it to cure overnight again, I used a dremel tool with a cutoff disk, acetone, a paint scraper, a razor knife and a sanding block to trim and remove the excess fiberglass. Then I used a 1/2" drill to re open that hole in the middle.
    WP_20150627_002.jpg

7) Bolt together and admire my handiwork!
    WP_20150627_003.jpg

12. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    I know that this is resurrecting an old thread, I'm not sure how many of you guys are even still active on this forum but I just wanted to thank the whole community that helped me get this project on the road.

I've put several thousand kms on this bike in the last year, spent some really quality time with my Dad and my neighbor who's been essentially a surrogate grandfather. There are several little things that still bug me, about it but overall the bike runs fantastic and has been a great first bike for me. I can't thank you guys enough for all of your help in the past!

DSCN1147.jpg DSCN0809.jpg

13. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Just read this whole thread, nice to see your hard work has paid off! Did you ever end up cleaning the carbs? Cheers from a fellow 500 owner.

14. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    I didn't ever end up cleaning them. It's still kind of on my to do list but I don't have the heart to take it apart during the nice weather. I have a bad feeling that it'll turn into a week long project and coming from a background of working on 50's BSA bikes (which really are junk but we love them anyways) I've learned to not mess with things if they aren't broken. I also have new rubber, paint and maybe a suspension overhaul from Jamie on my radar but for now I'm just enjoying the ride! I hope you love your 500 as much as I love mine.

15. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Where I am from (UK) we have high detergent fuels which I use in my VF500. I reckon with regular use these do a good job in keeping carbs clean. If your bike is running OK there can't be much wrong with the carbs. Not much to be gained from taking them off and cleaning them.

16. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    That's a good point, the background behind this though was that I had a really hard time getting the bike running last year with any sort of roadworthyness. At this point in time, it starts when I push the "start" button and goes "BRAAAAAP" when I twist the throttle so I agree with you and am reluctant to mess with it.:smile: That being said, it does intermittently idle around 2-3k rpm but by the next stop light it's idling at 1500 rpm again. It just has a few little hiccups that make me feel like I need to put more work into it but I'm having too much fun on it to give up a weekend of warm weather.