86 vf500 upgrades.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by matt1986vf500f, Oct 27, 2010.

1. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    A new frame would be awesome....but I lack the skills for that kind of work.

2. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    That and another thing that concerns me is wheel base I want to keep it stock and not much over that. Im sure you know how
    Important it is for the bike to keep the traits that we come to love from these peewee bikes.

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Changes to this 500's geometry is a good thing to consider with any wheel/swingarm modification.

I do like the idea of using kR swingarm, as noted above, but I am not sure what the largest rim/tire you can mount is - the goal being to get into the land of stock sized radials. I am sure other kR owners will have more info.

Looking forward to seeing how your build comes together!

4. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    I hear ya. Frame building is very intriguing but requires a serious skill set to be done correctly.

5. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Hopit, what lower/upper steering stem did you use to make the RC front end?

6. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    There is an upper and lower triple. There is only one stem. I used the stock R's stem in a 929 lower. I used an RC51 lower as the upper with some doing. I have a 929 upper now in it because I was doing some front end work and was going to switch back but ran out of time. My custom upper allows me to get the 51 fork to drop the needed amount plus it just looks damn beefy.

[​IMG]

7. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Thanks hopit I guess ill reveal the master plan I have for the bike! I was wanting to do a NC30 swingarm with a RC51 front end AND wait for it a VTR motor gasp!

8. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Matt - I love what you're doing with your 500. Don't sell yourself short on your abilities as you've already done more than what the average Joe could. I bet this latest round of changes are within your limits and if they're not, then we all like a challenge. I'm sure that's why you're doing this. Keep the updates / photos coming.

9. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    So let me get this straight. Completely different rear end, different front end and a VTR motor and all needed components that go with it? So you end up with a slightly de-tuned RC51 with a SSSA that has a spindly 25yo VF500 frame? It begs the question...why not just paint a VTR to look like an '86 VF500F?:biggrin::biggrin:

10. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    I would tend to agree here. Why not go with the engine and frame?

[​IMG]

11. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Ha no I was looking for what y'all's reaction would be..but no seriously I had though about doing that last and talked with a good source and decided against it so I guess april fools! But I will do the RC front end and NC swingarm.

12. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Ok made some good progress on the frame got my templates made and sized now they need to be welded in place.

Attached Files:

13. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    How thick is that metal? If you can easily bend it by hand, you're probably not adding any rigidity to the steering head. Does the 500 get it's clean air from those locations like the R?

14. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    It doesn't take much to add a lot of rigidity to a frame. In fact, really thin sheetmetal is normally all you need. It's the basic fundamental of a monocoque structure.

15. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Add a 9x4" piece of 16g metal to that spot and I bet nothing but the most sensitive measuring device could detect any change in twisting action of the steering head. Not buying it for a second.

If you made a rectangle out of thin metal rod, it would twist rather easily. weld some thin metal sheet to all sides and it would stiffen up noticeably. That's a given.

What we're talking about here is adding thin sheet metal to a spot that's small in relation to the over all length of the frame rails and closely encircled by steel frame members. I'm not saying the 500 has a stout frame by any means, just that I highly doubt using small gauge sheet metal THERE will produce any noticeable affect. That's why I asked how thick the metal was. Some robust steel in there would certainly fortify that area. My 2 cents.

16. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Do some research on monocoque structures and I think you'll change your opinion. Very strong, very lightweight. It's the reason planes can carry 100's of people and support them with a thin, light structure. Not reinventing the wheel - just noting that the wheel is round.

17. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I'm quite sure there are millions of examples from airplanes to mobile homes where a skinned structure is more sound than one with out, doesn't change my mind that a 1986 VF500F's steering neck is gaining anything by adding "thin" metal in a hole 1/10th the length of the frame. Wrap the whole frame in metal and I'll buy your monocoque argument. Not reinventing the apple-just not comparing it to an orange.

Thread jack over.

18. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    It would be interesting to see a stress analysis of the VF500F's steel frame. I would tend to side with Hop on this one but I am not an expert in frame design.

The tubular frames (per my previous post) seem a better way to go but as noted this would require a good bit of jig building and welding skill.

One other thing to note, a caveat to any welding - you have to be careful not to cause warping to the frame caused by super heating the metal.

It would be great to hear a frame builder's and or pro welder's take on this mod.

19. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map

No the engine doesn't get its fresh air from these holes..the metal in the picture is a 1/4 inch thick my be the lighting makes it look thinner than what it is.

20. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map

Well rigidity is the key im sure you can tell a difference when riding your than jumping on a newer bike..as for the welding I opted out of welding it with a mug and going tig and seeing how I've never used a tig welder I wont be doing it instead it will be sent off to a professional.