86 vf500 upgrades.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by matt1986vf500f, Oct 27, 2010.

1. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    I about fell out of my chair when I read this.

I haven't heard this expression before. This puts a new spin on 'If you aren't blowing up an engine or two you are not a real builder'. I guess this is the best incentive to make sure that your engine build is dialed in before you hit the start button!

Looking forward to seeing the progress, keep us posted.

2. rpierce

rpierce New Member

I love that expression, I'm definitely using it.

3. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    will do ill be getting my donor engine very soon which already has some work done to it, then the real fun begins

4. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    What I should of asked him about using a lighter material than stock.

5. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Does anyone have a extra petcock nob?

6. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Well I've made some real progress last weekend now I have to add fixing some new beauty marks on the old girl lol and its on the side I've already low sided on already what a bitch!

Attached Files:

7. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map

Damn dude....SLOW DOWN.

8. rpierce

rpierce New Member

You messed up one of your nice Pazzo levers, that's a shame.

I would kill to get a pair for my VF700F but I have no idea how to get a pair that fit (most kits have a clutch lever for a cable clutch)

9. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    In my defense that was a great line before I went down.:crazy:

10. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    They were original for a vfr800 bought and they bolted right up. The 500 & 700's run the same master.

11. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    I need the forums help with this one..looking for a NC30 swingarm I've search the web and have turned up empty handed mybe if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

12. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    So your going with a custom exhaust then? The NC arm has no pass through for the rear down pipes so you'll have to bend some pipes around the shock, battery, etc. It gets tight in there when searching for a path that doesn't melt everything. You can't use the stock collector or an aftermarket header.
    Don't forget the NC has no cush drive so the drive line will be a little harsh. Things to consider if you haven't already.

13. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Well noted Hopit.

I wonder if a single sided swingarm from a Hawk 650 GT would fit the bill. These are much easier to source.

14. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    I knew it didn't have a crush drive, which I think I would like that more could learn me to be smoother with the throttle inputs. I knew I would have to do something crazy with the exhaust but I thought i'd still be able to use the hindle?

15. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    That's definitely another option. But what worrys me is how the 500 arm mount compared to the NC or the GT.

16. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States

The Hawk arm may fit between the frame but there are other factors at play here. Lets say it fits, can you get it over to the left far enough to get the wheel in line. Once you get the wheel in line you'll have to deal with the rear sprocket. Chances are good that the sprocket will have to move right towards the wheel. Tom added aluminum to the back of his cush drive while I removed material from inside the cush. Both take some doing. Chances are also good that you may have to shim out the front sprocket but not so much as to hit the cover or the frame.

Then theres the linkage or lack thereof. The Hawk has no linkage, the shock mounts directly to the top of the arm. You would need to find a shock specifically for that purpose. I don't know what the Hawks shock is like but a new upper mount would probably have to be made( I'm guessing here).

Then theres the wheel choice. If your thinking VFR400 wheel, it's not a bolt on and will need modifications to the wheel as well as the spindle. The spindle is ridiculously hardened. Make sure your machinist is not a friend because he won't be after ruining a few bits drilling the new drive pin locations. You'll need to lengthen the spindle a bit to fill the area where the wheel rides on it. The VFR400 wheel is slightly wider here than the Hawks wheel and doesn't allow the Hawk spindle to go into the wheel fully. Since there isn't much to grab at the end to begin with, IMO it would be unwise for a father of young twins to risk it.:biggrin: If you're thinking using a VFR750/800 wheel and spindle, you may have other clearances to deal with, chain mostly.

This all leads to the pivot point. Once you get the frame to accept the Hawks pivot bolt, you'll find that it passes right through where the rear down pipes are. I'm guessing the 500 is similar to the R in this regard.

Please Please Please don't try what this moron did. The first pic shows the issue with the down pipes.

[​IMG]

This issue forces a custom rear exhaust but this genius figured a way around it. He simply driiled a big hole into the frame... at a bend...near some bolt holes...next to a large existing hole...and took out most of the integrity that is left in an already quetionable frame!!!! Holy shite! That gives stupid a whole new name.

[​IMG]

SSSA's are cool but sometimes they're more of a hassle than they're worth. An R swingarm with a light wheel will make any 500 leaning towards being a street burner look really cool with a big performance gain over the heavier single arm. Don't want to bum on any dreams just thought I'd lay out some hiccups you may/will encounter.

17. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Excellent write-up. Thanks Hopit.

18. matt1986vf500f

United States
    Map
    Ok guys here's what I've been working on this evening. Where my fist is his giant hole? WTF honda absolutely no steering stem support of anykind im going to close that in then cut the center beam and move it up and forward as well brace the swingarm pivots. Hoppit thanks that does give me alot more insight on it.

Attached Files:

19. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    No problem Matt. I know you push it hard in the twisty bits and are a very capable rider looking to ring out every last ounce of performance from that 500, and I love that. I just don't want you to be disappointed by possibly taking a small step backwards in handling by forcing an issue with the rear for looks alone...but who the hell am I to talk! If I had stuck with my stock R arm, I would have been riding 2 years ago!:crazy:

Love the project. With the money, you could buy a sporty newer bike but instead, are aiming at getting your bike as high up it's potential ladder as possible. Hat's off.

20. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    A bit of frame inspiration:

[​IMG]

V4 Honda 80

This would require some serious jig building, tube bending and welding skills but a limited production run for the VF500F would be the cat's pajamas.