85 vf500 w/body mods

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Dannyhoo, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ndulucky13

ndulucky13 New Member

Damn thats nice how many hours do you think u put into the gsxr body work to get it to fit right?

2. ndulucky13

ndulucky13 New Member

And if I where to buy a fairing kit off ebay what besides the headlight would i need?

3. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    The fairings took me about 10 hours to do and I'm still not complete yet. Things you will have to buy are the upper stay bracket seats, lights (blinkers, headlight, brake light ect) and fiberglass. It really was not to hard as long you have patience. This was the first time I ever messed with fiberglass and bondo but it was not the first time I welded before because I used to be a shop foreman and a gate and fabrication shop. You will have to do some welding and I did most of mine with a 110 Lincoln welder but the rear swingarm I'm making will be made with a 220 miller welder

4. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

I'll say it again. Nice work. Looks great. Love seeing the old ones brought back so people say "what the hell is that?"

5. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Hey guys here is an update. I finally started my swingarm. It is not done yet but it is pretty close to being finished. It is not going to be as long as it is in the pic. It will be about 5 in shorter. In the pic I just have it resting on the stock arm to give you guys an idea of what it will look like. Hope y'all like it.

Attached Files:

6. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    respectfully,,,

[​IMG]

7. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

Is your rear wheel stock?

8. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Long swingarm conbversion on a VF500? Really?

I liked everything you had done up until those pictures...

:puke:

9. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    To each there own...Great work up to that point.

Unless its a drag bike, I put long swingarms right up there with extreme ape hanger handlebars...

[​IMG]

10. steven113

steven113 New Member

TO EACH THEIR OWN! If that is how you want to build your bike then do it!!! I am sure you know what that is going to do to your ability in the twisties... Thanks for your thread.

11. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this swing arm but I like it and i don't care about taking corners at high speeds anyways that's how I wreck my first bike doing about 70 in a turn that didn't know had some gravel on the road and lost control. The bike flipped three times and I landed 100 feet from the bike. Anyways I've got another bike for that (Cbr 1000) this bike is all about looks a pure show bike it's mostly for practice.

12. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Yes it's the stock rim but it's been widened to a 5.5" rim

13. erick68121

erick68121 New Member

i think that swing arm would look nice not too long but it will add some crazy nice look to the bike with a fatter tire i just got me a 500 85 and im looking from things to do to it, and this looks good i just think is out of my budget but it looks nice i might go for the streetfighter loo just because of the budget i hope you finish soon i cant wait to see how it looks.

14. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    hey guys, i know i have not posted in awhile about the progress on my bike so here goes. i decided not to do the swingarm at all it was just not coming out the way i planed. also i decided to mount the exhaust on the right is of the bike. the resoni didn't go with the swingarm and the exhaust under the seat is because i actually want to ride the bike the season. i finally got my jet kit installed in the carbs and the bike fired up just fine. all i have to do now is finish up front fairing which i changed my design a little. [​IMG]

15. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
  16. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    I still admire your bodywork and I look forward to seeing it completed. Thanks for the update.

17. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Hey guys I rode the bike forthe first time last nite and holy crap I love this bike I finally realized why this bike seemed to be so sluggish it was because the front 2 mains were clogged and I was not running on all 4 cylinders but now I am and man this bike has some get up and go. I have not taken it out on a real cruise yet because I still need to re-register it and insure it but when I do I'll let y'all know how it is.

I do have a quick question, do this bike have to have the battery hooked up to still run the bike ir is something wrong with my charging system. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys.

18. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Can you describe what's happening with your battery?

19. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    Well the battery is about half to 3/4 of the way charged and when the bike is running it seems like it uses the power from the battery and not from the charging system. I tried starting the bike and then pull the positive lead off to see if it would continue to run without the batt connect and it would run poorly for about 30 seconds and then die. So I was wondering if this bike absolutely need to have the battery fully charged and hooked up all the time to run and stay charged or is something wrong with my regulator rectifier or my generator on the crank. Thank for help y'all.

20. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I have ridden my old VF500 for a long time with a dead battery. Bike wouldn't start unless I bump started it.

When I purchased my 2nd gen the battery was shot and it wouldn't start unless it was directly connected to the owners truck battery....once it was hooked up, it ran fine. If you disconnected the jumper cables the bike would sputter and die.

So I'd assume if the charging system was ok....and the battery wasn't completely shot it should still run.