85 VF1000R restoration project

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by josephvh, Nov 28, 2018.

1. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Gentlemen don't stop the pics of your fleets and where they harbor...... It's never a bad thing.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Incredible. I have seen a lot on yours on here and VFRD, most excellent.

3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Created a separate Thread "fleet pics"

sixdog likes this.
  4. josephvh

josephvh New Member

United States
    Map
    To each their own obviously. This bike basically fell into my lap so I'm running with it. I don't think I ever would have considered buying one. Not saying I don't like it, but if I was buying a "classic" bike my options would be much more open. Having this and the CB are a nice contrast though. I used to like old cars and new bikes, that has somehow swapped in recent years though. Might have something to do with trying to daily a first gen RX7 for about 4 years. Lots of fun there.

I had read that. I'm considering buying a rebuilt pump from the guy in Apache Junction, AZ who lists them on eBay. The price is steep but I don't have a good impeller so I have to buy a used pump anyway. After buying a used pump and replacing seals/bearing it's not that big of a leap in price to the reman one.

Things are moving along. The holidays and work sure take up a lot of time. I'm currently trying the alum solution technique to remove a broken exhaust collector bolt from the oil pan. I sheared it off years ago then broke an ez-out off in it because I didn't know what I was doing. The alum is working slowly. I also cleaned up the fork bodies for paint. Going to drop them off in Jan. All my seals, o-rings, etc came in for the forks as well as a set of decals from CBDecals. I went ahead and bought a full set since I'm going to need it eventually and I need the "TRAC" decal for the forks soon. Ironic since the TRAC is going to be bypassed but I want it to look correct.

Mind_Surfer likes this.