84 vf1000f starter wont crank

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jamey2466, Apr 12, 2010.

1. jamey2466

jamey2466 New Member

I have an 84 vf1000f it sems that all is working. put a test light to it all. and have power. just put a rebuild kit in the stater hook it to just the battery not in the bike and it turns just fine. put a test light to the cable at the starter and have good power.Then i put the starter in the bike and not a thig happens.put the test light to the starter and have a vary dim light when i push the start button. cant find out y. hope all will help me thanks.

2. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    The large electrical load of your starter can make things show up that unloaded circuitry won't. Check ALL the big cable connections for tightness and corrosion. Do you have a DCV meter? Sure your battery is strong? Do you hear the starter relay click?

You could start by putting the bulb end of your test light on the starter case directly next a mount bolt and the clip end on the positive battery cable. If you have a bright light your ground connection to the starter is likely good.

Your starter may be shorting under the heavy load of turning the engine, which replacing the brushes may not have fixed if it's in the armature itself. Or it's possible your starter relay is failing under load. You really need a DCV meter to narrow it down.

3. jamey2466

jamey2466 New Member

got if fixed thanks for the help and now i dont know how to remove this thread

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    What was the fix? Might help someone else.

5. jamey2466

jamey2466 New Member

it needed a grownd to the frame it is not stock vf anymore all custom will have pic up soon looks like the oyher one in my pics