7th Gen suspension parts and modifications

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by f3racer, Nov 17, 2014.

1. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Trail and Error

So......coming from a entirely sportbike past, racing a couple years in CCS, and then my most recent trip to the Dragon on my VFR1200 i have been seriously looking at suspension upgrades. Now I am a Soldier in the US Army with 3 teeneage daughters, 1 who is in college and a 10 year old. Money is not falling off trees for me so sending my suspension off to be worked on is out of range for my wallet. I am also quite the do it yourself kinda guy. I prefer to buy the parts and do the work myself. I called racetech and they told me to pack up my suspension and ship it to them to be spec'd out. Then they would tell me what parts and service would cost. NO THANKS!

Lets talk talk about stock stuff 1st.

Front forks are very long in comparison and the original thought was to do a fork swap from a sport bike, but that would severely screw up the handling of this bike.

I cant seem to find a solid answer on what the spring rates are for the front. Iv'e seen .75kg/mm and I've seen .90kg/mm. Either way this is crazy soft for a large close to 600lb sport touring bike. For example the stock spring rate on a 406lb 07 cbr600rr is 1.0 kg/mm.

Next I looked to see what other springs i may drop in. Ohlins, hyperpro, and a few others have drop in fork springs at 1.0 and 1.1. all are between $125 and $200. Stock 1.0 600rr springs are $25 a spring but the free length is way different. IIRC the stock vfr spring length is around 15in and the cbr is 9. thats a big difference and fabricating a spacer in there might not be strong enough for the load. In the mean time i dropped the front end (raised the forks in the triple) 1mm.

Rear shock. Rear shocks are expensive and i care what your budget is 500-1500 for s shock is expensive. Once again sending it off is not an option right now so i was looking for alternatives. Rear springs for the shock are available from several venders and are again $125-200. So i have been looking at shock swaps. I do not have a clear answer on the rear spring yet. I asked mr Daugherty and he said that he has it listed "I have in my notes 857lb/in. However, that is the same as the OEM spring rate for a VFR800 so I'm not sure that is correct.". The issue with swapping OEM shock is that unless it has a remote mount preload adjuster its rather hard to adjust, the space in there is tight, and the freelength of the shock is longer than most sport bike shocks. I tried anyway. I have an 02 R1 rear shock that is in good shape and is an 8.8 spring rate. If the 8.5 that JD said is correct then that gives more sprint rate. The R1 shock fit in the hole but it is 12in long where the vfr shock is 13 eye to eye. i Shimmed the top mount to make up for the length but i still could not get the shock to line up without hitting the swing arm. So in the mean time i shimmed the stock shock 2mm.

After my 1st ride today the bike felt awesome when flicked back and forth but pushes at the exit of a turn. looking back at my notes and my racetech bible that tells me the front end is too low in comparison tto the rear end. The forks will be set back to stock.

Looking around at other OEM shocks online im seeing a ton for $20-30. As i get them and try them i'll list the issues here.

What I would like is tried and true fixes to these issues listed here for the do it yourselfer. If you have part numbers and brands or if you have swapped out stuff for other OEM products them please list them here. Please list spring rates and free lengths if you have them. Also if you have tried something and it didnt work list that and why it didnt work.

OEM fork length and spring length xxxxxx OEM shock length 13in and spring rate xxxx

2002-2003 OEM Yamaha R1 rear shock. Spring rate 8.8 kg/mm. Freelength 12in- Reservoir hits swing arm.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    F3

I have a similar sportbike background.

Before you swapped in the R1 shock. What were/are your specific complaints about the handling? What specific issue(s) are you trying to solve?

3. f3racer

f3racer New Member

The bike is very under sprung for my intentions and my weight. I'm 200 even in full gear. I'm a daily rider who like some track days and aggressive back road runs. I can't afford to have another pure sportbike.

The adjustability is another. The bike does not have adjustable compression damping.

Last...I'm retarded. Im on of those guys who can't leave well enough alone. I want a touring rig with the weight and handling of a sportbike and a sportbike with touring capabilities.

4. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    I totally get it.

You'd like my CBR. It has ABS, and I have it setup with Helibars and a Ventura Pack/Rack system. I does well for 500+ mile days as very sporty SPORT-tourer.

5. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Thats exactly what i had done with my 06 cbr1krr. I miss my 07 cbr600 terribly.