6th Gen Panniers/ Saddlebags $450 New

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Frisco Kid, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    You mean this bracket...?
    [​IMG]

2. Scubalong

United States
    FYI the tail bracket only come if you bought the cases with the bike new. I bought my new so the bracket is there as you can see on the picture above. If you need demension to fab I can do some measurement for you.

3. Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid New Member

United States
    Map
    The bags came with the metal peice that connects the two mounting brackets. And nothing is ever easy is it. Becasue I need to mount the stock rear fender the Comp Werks license plate has to come off and as expected all of the parts for the fender are missing. $79 later all parts ordered from dealer. Probably would have been easier if I took them to the local shop and had them install it. But I like doing things myself, or at least trying.

Thanks all for the input it has all been very helpfull. I will continue to post as I get closer to having all the parts and will share installation tips if I can.

4. Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid New Member

United States
    Map
    Awsome! you can mount without the rear fender? Holy smokes Batman I think you just saved the day!

5. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    The bracket I'm talking about attaches the center bracket in the picture to the rear sub frame. It runs vertically and helps to stiffen the assembly. That said, it appears that you can do what Long did and just mout it all up without modification to your comp works mount. It may not be as strong but it won't fall off either. It does look a bit unfinished though.

6. Scubalong

United States
    :rolleyes: There is Thank you and Like button that you can click on........hello:rolleyes:

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Scubalong - are you just trying to pad your Thanked count :)

8. Scubalong

United States
    I am just try to show these noob how to use all the functions on the forum. :wink:

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I'll demonstrate!

10. Frisco Kid

Frisco Kid New Member

United States
    Map
    Panniers for my '02 VFR

Just wanted to update you all. It took me 4 hours, over a 7 day period to get the tail back to its original condition and mount the bags. Lots of lossening and tightening. The difficulty was putting the rear back together and reinstalling the grab rails as the threading had stripped and I needed to rethread. Out to the store again. Alligning all the holes was not easy either, but as my 5 y.o. daughter walked in and handed me her screw driver (which I bought for her to help daddy out) the light went off and she saved the day! Who'd a thunk!

VFR W Bags.jpg

11. Scubalong

United States
    Very nice...............Well done now go ride her.

12. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    That was the biggest pain I found as well was getting all the bolt holes lined back up. I didn't put the plastic drop back on, which cleaned it up some. Appearently I didn't post a picture of that. I'll have to get that.

13. Rhinoclemmys

Rhinoclemmys New Member

Hi. I'm new to the board. I just purchased used set of OEM Cases for $450 off of Craiglsist . They were in good condition (some scratches) and had all of the mounting hardware and instructions but were silver and I wanted them blue. I search Craigs a lot and saw that someone was always looking for them so wanted to get them quickly - hopefully I didn't steal them from you! I went to a bunch of body shops to see about getting them painted and the best I could do was $385 - I thought it was going to be way less than that. Most body shops wouldn't even give me a quote b/c they "didn't work on bikes". Most of the quotes were $400 or more. One was for $550. Also if you live in Cali there seem to be a number of issues getting paint to match that is compliant with all of our regulations. I like the way mine came out but never thought the final cost would be almost $800.

When I bought my VFR it had a fender eliminator kit installed. I didn't have the original fender so cut down the eliminator mounting plate for my tag (Made my own mounting plate). But this required me to mount the plate light right between the exhaust canisters. There is ~ 1.75 inches of space on each side of the plate. Do I need to worry about melting the light? See photo.

PC060002 - Copy.jpg

Also there was another set available on Craiglist in the SF bay area. They were posted on the 2nd. They are red. Guy scraped one against a pole - not sure how bad the damage it. He is asking $500

14. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a new set just last year for about $875. Look at it this way. With the paint, they are like new, so you're still doing pretty well. As far as the light goes, I can't imagine that it would be an issue. Also, when I installed the mounting hardware on my bike, I thought that the mounting brackets were secured to the stock fender. Did you have to skip that part when installing?

15. Rhinoclemmys

Rhinoclemmys New Member

To connect the right and left stays I used bracket A and bracket B as labeled in the instructions. I attached Bracket B under the Pillion seat. I attached Bracket A to the other end of bracket B and well as the right and left stays. Everything seems pretty solid. I put about 250 miles on so far and everything is fine.

16. Scubalong

United States
    The center bracket should be mount behind the stock license plate fender. Unless you have the fender eliminator then the bracket will just be holding the two rear end. See picture below
    [​IMG]

17. Rhinoclemmys

Rhinoclemmys New Member

here is what mine looks like from the underside
    PC130021.jpg

18. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Scubalong. That is what I remember now. I had the Competition Werkes fender eliminator on my bike for the first 5 years, but last year when I went to install the cases, it wasn't going to hook up as I read the directions, so I ended up putting the stock fender back on. With the cases on, the stock fender doesn't look so bad now.

19. dvictor

dvictor New Member

United States
    Map
    Just wanted to thank you for putting up the info on these bags. I went on David Silver Spares UK site, but found a link to their US site; they shipped out of Pittsburg, I paid only $399 plus $17 shipping, and , they offered them in red (like yours) or metallic black. They are 2002, so it is whatever color was offered that year. I got them in black, they are stunning! I have not finished mounting them yet, but I am gonna remove a little of the brackets where they come close to the seat cowl, as mine is freshly painted and I want to keep it that way. Luckily, when I got the bike (used) I took off the fender eliminator and went back to stock, so everything just bolts up. Regards, DJV.

20. VFRPeteR

VFRPeteR New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the same fender eliminator on my '02 and do have the original fender (don't really want to put it back on) - I would think something could be made to work with the frames that come with the bike. Anyone out there every try to install these with a fender eliminator?