6th Gen Average Fuel Mileage

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jasonsmith, Mar 31, 2008.

1. EFritch1

EFritch1 New Member

How far do you have when your last bar is flashing you're about to run out of gas?

2. Guj

Guj New Member

Just read the owners manual. When it reaches "E" there is about 0.92 gallons left. My guess would be about 30 miles.

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Not far enough generally!

I think mine went about 15-20 miles like this before it started to cough and my arse started to bite the skin off the seat cover. Luckily some clever drafting techniques (not safe or recomended) got me another three miles to a service center. I vowed to never play that game again.

4. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

I don't know how many miles I have left on my tank when the last bar starts flashing. What I do is I fill the tank when I get to or close to 200 miles, so I always use the trip odometer when I ride.

5. nickpapp

nickpapp New Member

I will check and report back - thanks!!

6. nickpapp

nickpapp New Member

I checked today, 5000 rpm= 75mph, and 6000rpm = 90mph. I am going to run this tank to near empty and see if the low MPG was just my riding style in keeping it high in the rpm band.

7. Fordtech

Fordtech New Member

My question is more about fuel capacity instead of fuel economy. I too can go about 200 miles (on average) on a tank (stock 08). I usually ride until the low fuel light starts to blink. I have put 4300 miles on it and have yet to put more than 5 gallons in at any particular time. The last time I was heading home and was going to fill at the station near my house. The light had been flashing for 15 miles or so. On the exit ramp it coughed a few times and I thought I was done. I filled up at the station 1/4 mile away and it still only took 4.9 gallons! Is the gauge very accurate?

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    All this is sort of interesting but buying a high performance motorcycle, hoping it's going to save money doubling as a commuter vehicle is more than a little strange.

Why not just buy a bike like a 250 or a 125 and really get some mileage out of the bike.
    A scooter might even do a better job of saving money.

No matter what the cost of gas for most of use using the guys across the ponds as examples, when the tank is low, what is gonna happen is that tank is going to get partially or completely filled.

Kind of makes me wonder if the dudes on BB's that address MV Agustas or Boss Hosses talk about mileage?

"Howdy there Mad Dog! Whazzup? What kind of mileage are you getting on that Busa?

Mad Dog responds, " Who gives a shit? "

Moi, I would go without Jo-jo's if gas was ten bucks a gallon so long as I could still ride.

9. dirtneilson

dirtneilson New Member

Last fill up was 107 miles and 3.3 gallons. I blame my throttle hand.

10. WetSpot

WetSpot New Member

Map
    200 miles is about 320km, I've never got close to that, average around 230km (140 miles) before light starts trying to jump off the instrument cluster... I always feel a little ripped off in these threads, no matter the bike, I NEVER get anywhere near what others quote as their mileage... Was the same on my VTR1000F, riding with otyher VTR owners, we'd pull in somewhere for lunch and I'd announce I needed fuel and they all looked at me strange - my light was flashing and they still had half a tank yet I am usually the only one not pushing hard...

11. Tiutis

Tiutis New Member

United States
    Map
    I get around 44mpg with that mostly being spirited/mountain/highway driving. I know I could easily reach 50mpg if I drove like a granny.

12. dirtneilson

dirtneilson New Member

Maybe ill try to keep it below vtec. But it is hard too. I love the way this bike sounds. Forcing me to be mean to her.

13. mamono

mamono New Member

United States
    36, 30% hwy/city, 70% twisties, PCIII, K&N, Scorpion CF Exhaust

14. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    2007 RWB with 9k miles, 100% bone stock. I commute 60ish miles a day round trip. I short shift 90% of the time and ride in the tallest gear possible 90% of the time. I run 93 octane(pure gas, no ethanol) and consistently get well into the 50+mpg. Commuting, I always get at least 250 miles to a tank and usually get 280+. My low fuel light usually starts flashing on my way home on Friday and I always ride it home like that and fuel up over the weekend. If I run crappy gas, it drops to high 40's. When I ride around town on the weekends, or in the mountains, or in general ride like a hooligan... it drops to high 30's low 40's.
    I have no doubt I could get 300 miles to a tank, but thus far have not felt the need to tempt fate.(I hate walking:fear:) Don't get me wrong, I occasionally have weeks where I need to de-stress and gas mileage be damned, I ride like my ass is on fire.....but I usually save that for the weekend. I commuted in my chevy HD truck for so many years getting 11-12mpg, that I somehow feel the need to get the most mileage possible on the bike to make up for it. LOL

15. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

38.5 miles per gallon yesterday (204 miles on 5.3 gallons), very spirited ride, probably 1/2 to 2/3rds of it on 2-3 on beautiful roads. I use 93 with 10% ethanol all the time.

I am curious about the performance relationship between gas with and without ethanol. Such as Risgett I also have a RWB stock, our bikes should be identical. I understand Risgett's explanation about shifting fast and the impact that would have on the bike.

Risgett, would you mind doing an experiment please? Would you ride your bike with 93 + 10% ethanol for a couple of weeks and measure your bike gas consumption?

Also, where do you buy gas without ethanol?

Cheers and thank you for sharing this information with us,

CElias

16. Firehand

Firehand New Member

Here in OK, you've got both: lots of stations with ethanol blend, and a lot with 'NO ALCOHOL IN OUR GAS!' signs; take your pick.

I generally only use gasohol when I can't find a station with straight gas and need to tank up. Like visiting folks in the Dallas/Fort Worth area; due to EPA regs I don't think you can get straight gas there. Luckily, my bike runs well on both, and does seem to get about the same mlieage.

17. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Sorry for the slow response, I was out of town for a funeral. Some of the gas stations around her sell pure gas, others don't. Sometimes they have it posted and sometimes you have to ask. I almost always fill up at the same station.
    I really don't like to run ethanol in anything I own, but for the sake of science I will do it. Since it's Christmas and I've got a lot going on, I'll wait until after the new year to start.
    I can go ahead though and tell you for a fact that if you run gas with ethanol in it, you will get less mpg. There's lots of data on the web to support that, plus I experimented with it a few years ago on my 04 Subaru STI . Back then I got 3mpg less with the 10% ethanol blend compared to pure gas. I'll try to get back to you in mid January after I log a couple weeks on the bike.

18. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Thank you Risgett for doing this little experiment.

19. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

Yes the power commander dumps more fuel into the system the stock. so you will get worse mpg but more power and torque...

20. slashergreen

slashergreen New Member

Australia
    Map
    Interesting data. Thanks! Over 16 months of ownership, the fuel consumption of my stock 2010 VFR 800 has ranged from 39 mpg (city riding) to 60 mpg (day trips out of the city). Overall average 49 mpg.