5th Gen Best Mod$: "Actually Readily Obtainable and Available"

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Cat2Rider, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    The second snorkel is so easy and inexpensive, you've got nothing to lose trying that with a Pipercross Air filter. The cat converter and o2 sensors can go by just replacing the headers with new Black Widow or used OEM 98/99, then add a PC3 and load a better fuel map

2. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    Also the fuel pump ($30-)and fuel filter ($59-)are getting replaced on my 5th Gen, better off replacing than waiting for an untimely failure. ��

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152174411068

New Carbon Fuel Pump Honda VFR800 Interceptor 1998-2009

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252263679106

CBR 1100 ST1300 CB900F 929 954 CBR600 VFR800 RVT1000 Fuel Filter 16900-MBG-013

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nope, if you look on their website, there are Power Commander maps for the '98-'99 VFR and for the '00-'01 VFR. For '98-'99 there are two "Euro" maps on the Power Commander site, one called "Euro" and one called "Full Power Euro". This corresponds to there being a lower power Euro model in '98-'99, but not in '00-'01. Lower power models were sold in '98-'99 in Germany and Switzerland, mainly because those models had catalysts and smaller diameter headers, which restricted power by approximately 8PS. Honda decided to rectify that situation by revising the '00 model to incorporate catalysts and larger diameter headers--which their HECS3 system allowed to gain that 8PS back. As a result, there were no lower power Euro models in '00-'01, so only one Euro Power Commander map was necessary in '00-'01.

Because you could not find a full power Euro ECU (not sure how hard you tried!), you bought the one from a lower power German 1999 model and fit it to your (full power) US model '01. It is you who have added unnecessary complexity. If there is any difference between a full power US ECU and a full power Euro ECU, the way to test that would be to buy a full power ECU and (ideally) run back-to-back tests on the same dyno. Anything else would be pointlessly subjective and prove nothing. Even testing a lower power ECU against a full power ECU would probably be silly, but feel free to do it and post the results.

(I have a Euro full power ECU on my UK-based '01 VFR, and a California ECU on my US-based '00 VFR. I might be tempted to acquire a full power US ECU and swap that around with my Euro ECU, but with the A&A kit any difference would probably be unnoticeable. On a normally aspirated bike the full power US ECU could provide some benefit, but it may not, given that the CA model has/had other differences that could respond better with the CA ECU. I cannot see any reason why Honda would have intentionally restricted the CA model, other than in order to make it work better with the PAIR/carbon recovery system used exclusively on that model. Before I bought my '00 CA model I looked into the differences between that model and the 49-state version and decided it wouldn't be worth the effort to find and buy a 49-state model or convert if from CA-spec to 49-state spec. If you were chasing every last horse, it might make sense, however.)

Ciao,

4. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The troll has bought nothing, bike does not exist.

5. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States

The 5th Gen VFR only needs flow restrictions removed and improved to run at max power.

1) Second Snorkel and PiperCross filter installed, flapper removed ($30- airbox cover+ $70 Filter)
    2) Euro ECU and PC3 with Euro Fuel Map ,o2 eliminator($500)
    3) Black Widow Catless headers and High Level race exhaust Restrictor removed. ($1000-)

That's about 4-5 hours of work and $1600- in parts.

also changing out the fuel filter and fuel pump with new would eliminate these possible fuel delivery issues.

6. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    Send the links to those different Power Commander fuel maps

Here is the link to Power Commander Fuel maps and note not all are actually exist and are downloadable

7. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    I checked the links to those different Power Commander fuel maps and I'm using a 2001 Euro fuel map with a 98 ECU G and it's running great but I could order up an ECU ED but I'm not so suck it's a direct result with the other contributing factors like the PC3

8. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    That's strange why Is Honda back to the gear driven cams on the MotoGP race bike?

9. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    The ever perplexing issue of factoring in the various OEM ECU's in combination with after market a double snorkel airbox, Pipercross Air Filter, Black Widow headers and a PC3 with o2 eliminator and a High Level exhaust with Restrictor removed.

I found another Euro ECU ED 38770-MBG-003 (9600-108 67) I might order it up and try it

10. cornercarver

cornercarver New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't sell yourself short, you are too so suck.

11. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    Looks like wordcheck granted you an opportunity to "smear" which is pointless, I've ordered up Euro ECU ED (from Austria) and will road test it soon

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371031024584

Honda VFR 800 RC46 CDI Blackbox 98-01

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It took over 890 post to get to what should have been the first post. This is all that needed to be said!

13. cornercarver

cornercarver New Member

United States
    Map
  14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yah, this thread is done---
    Great job, LATER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    but yet the cbr1000rr/sp1/sp2 is a inline 4 with a cam chain why? 1st it cheaper why is it cheaper? because its a inline 4 with less moving parts and IS lighter. 2 cams vs 4. 1 chain vs 2. 1 chain vs 4 extra turning gears. you get sp2 level power and performance for maybe 20-25k vs 189k for that other thing.

16. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    The 5th Gen VFR, being one of the "best ever" Honda Corporation products. Keep in mind this was a "turn of the century" motorcycle , it needs to be approached from a totally different perspective

17. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    oh and the v4 1000 that Honda gave up state side has roughly the same hp as a stock vfr (slightly more than what you have) the new cbr 180ish

DICLAIMER: I do not know how much the current cbr has for power nor do I care its more than what a vfr has and I am fine with that. love my 6gen. best bike I could own in my situation.

18. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    its not a steam engine, you approach it like you would approach any vfr they are all really fun air pumps. I approach mine with a smile every chance I can

19. Cat2Rider

Cat2Rider New Member

United States
    Go back to the Agostini years of the gear driven cam MV Agusta's, the Honda gear driven cam V-4 was Honda's best ever product that made it to the consumer for several years before it was too expensive in combination with stricter EPA standards open the doors to the V-Tech era

20. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Power Commander Map Search Honda VFR800 1999.

You are not the first person to make loads of changes without testing in between, so you are not the first person to not be able to pin down which change has had which effect (positive or negative). You may not care--it's your bike, after all. But that particular "scientific method" is not very useful if you want to share your findings with other people.

If you bought that ECU you will finally have the full power Euro version, at least, but it is (again) for the '98-'99 model. Why did Honda make a different full power Euro ECU in '00-'01? I don't know, and I suspect you don't either. It might work fine, but the safe bet would have been to buy a '00-'01 full power Euro ECU. Good luck.

Ciao,