4th gen changes?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by gronk99, Nov 6, 2008.

1. gronk99

gronk99 New Member

Map
    I'm looking at a 90 and am wondering what the differance would be between it and say a 96? Don't have a serv manual so could someone give a runthrough of mechanical/performance changes. (prob won't care about trim/ paint changes ... or that one has 2 more hp).

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I'D have to dig into the shop manual to get to the finite differences. there's not a whole lot when you get right down to what I call the behind the scenes in a big way, more subdue little tweaks here and there. like in the engine. I know the carbs jumped around between the 90 92 93 versions. the 94-97 actually have smaller carbs. than the 90-93 HP Honda made the 4th gen a bit more refined here and there. like cam timing, compression ratio. intake track be different, again all just a little, I even think the vales are a different size, the exhaust is routed differently with a different collector to add that wee bit more coming out of the engine, not much thou, but when you add it all up it makes it different with out upsetting what the VFR is all about. Other than the obvious styling clues the biggest change was the rear wheel size, next was the way the frame was made and laid out, the rear shock in how it was made to do the job along with valving in the front forks, again all more little tweaks nothing really way out there in a change other than it's appearance.

3. gronk99

gronk99 New Member

Map
    RVFR:
    Sounds like u are saying more refined power delivery, but mostly better handling?

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep..:wink: and even then it's not where if you were to jump from bike to bike one would notice right off the bat the difference. I mean one would notice a different feel, no doh! but when you get to like how it goes through a turn and how it reacts to brake input and all, and since we all have a different how the feels thought, it really is hard to put it down in words. It's like you say a tad more refined in both engine and handling, it's not like jumping from a 3rd gen to a 6th that's for sure..

5. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    Please give serious consideration to a fuel injected model. I'm never going back to servicing carbs.

6. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Once you figure out how to disassemble and clean them out properly the first time, carbs are a piece of cake.

Carbs (when tuned properly) are smoother than FI.

FI has it's positives, but there are also negatives, just like EVERYTHING.

7. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    If you can get access to them you can get a good run down in old magazines from late 93 that run down the differences. The 4th generation is 28lbs lighter, has new body work, flat side carburetors with smaller venturis and some cam timing changes along with different wheels and sundry other updates and changes. Over all it is a better machine just like the mark 5 is better that the mark 4.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ;) Yep. Carbs (when tuned properly) are smoother than FI.

Yep, that's another one. The 4th generation is 28lbs lighter

You know if the 4th would have come with FI, I would have been all shits and giggles, But how FI worked then vs. now, now it's a no brainier, back then it was hard to justify the cost when a set of carbs dialed in work just as good if not better in certain circumstances with less expense to boot. I truly believe in this day and age FI is the way to go, with the environment and all the flexible driving conditions one needs to make an engine run right. That and a lot of folks aren't into paying attention, Gee one might have to move a choke lever, give it the right amount of throttle. This new age is all plug and play.

LOL even the wife has gotten spoiled with the turn and go along with a couple kids, they hate the 72 Chev truck I have, where one you need to choke it, then warm it up a bit, before you take off. nope they want to turn the key and go, and it won't let em do that.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yep, I guess the days of walking in the snow, uphill both ways, to school, have fallen by the wayside. Smarter, not harder, is how it's done these days.

Quote from Honda:

"Honda Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) was originally developed on roadracing machines and later introduced to the general public on the CX500TC Turbo in 1982. For cleaner emissions, spot-on metering and enhanced power, nothing is better. Most recent new application: 2009 CRF450R motocross racing machine."

Sorry for the thread hijack...now back to the topic.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I knew Ron would have something to say. :wink: up hill in snow? Man I rode a SL350 in the snow to school more times than I'd rather count. I also have a good riding buddy that had one of those turboCX, was pretty trick for the day and it also came at a price. BTW that's when I had a CBX which had carbs, six of em. :tongue: If you took notice, I agree having FI is better today....:rolleyes:

Your turn.