2nd gen carb inspection tips ?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by chuntera, Nov 12, 2013.

1. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    Pulled the carbs from my 86vfr700, now sitting on my worktable. Everything looks pretty clean, no leaky o-rings or torn rubber diaphrams.

Bike has about 30k on the clock, so I guess some parts are ready to be replaced. Any hints what I should look for (ie. worn parts) ?

Can I get by with a visual inspection or do I need to bring a micrometer to the party ?

thanks

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Things usually get clogged before anything wears out.

If float valves weren't leaking, swab some scotchbrite or #1000 around inside to clean the needle seat of corrosion or dirt and reuse needles. I've begun using wet Q-tips coated with kitchen cleanser spun around in the needle seats to remove deposits.

No micrometer, but you'll need to check the float level within + and - 1mm or better.

Making a gauge is best for consistent settings, but other tools work too.

IMG_2022.JPG IMG_1730.jpg IMG_2040.JPG

Shoot some lube down the throttle shafts.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks squirrel.

I noticed the float valves have an internal spring, last carb cleaning I had a spring stuck, it took some persuasion to unstick.

The float height is a PITA to set. Using a tread depth gauge is a clever idea. Alas, I'll have to wait a while before I can get an AARP card...