2013 Summer Bike Trip (Alaska to Colorado)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by ySeven, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Foreword:
    I own a 1992 Honda VFR; it has about 26,000 Miles on it. This is my first bike, and this last summer was the first time I have ever ridden a bike. It is in great condition, and has only minor scratches on it.
    I am looking to make a trip from Anchorage, Alaska to Colorado and then head from Colorado to California then up back through Canada. I will be making this trip with my Aunt (she will be driving her car); (she has also made this trip before in a car). I have never done a trip like this ever, much less on a motorcycle.
    I have never worked on a motorcycle before, but I have worked on my car (i.e. engine swap, and transmission swap.)
    This Thread will be the start of a long journey that will document my experiences and such.

Preparation:

Bike-
    As my bike is old, I am looking to do some work on my bike to ensure that it will last the entire trip. I have not changed the oil on my bike or have done anything on it since I got it at the beginning of the summer, as such; I need to do all of that jazz. If anyone could direct me in the right direction so I can change all my fluids and maybe my chain that would be great.

I also was wondering if there is any other overhaul stuff I should consider doing on the bike as I have all winter to do this work (I live in Alaska, there is too much snow to ride). If anyone could advise me that would be awesome too.

I also will need to get a new wind shield as I would like to have a more comfortable ride, if anyone knows where I can get one (websites) and suggestions that would be cool.

Since I will be driving through Alaska, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about fuel. (gas stations could be few and far between, is there a way to carry more fuel? In my aunts car?)

Again I am willing and capable of doing any and all work that you guys send my way, I just need direction.

Gear-
    I do not have boots, or pants. I only have a cheap 3 season Alpine stars jacket and a cheap Icon helmet and some GP Pro Alpine star gloves. I understand that I will need to purchase some new gear for this trip. If anyone has suggestions that would be great, I have been thinking about getting a tour master gear set, but I am worried about how hot I will get. If anyone has experience with this that would be a great help too.

I also understand that I will need to get some bags for my bike; I have no experience here and would greatly appreciate some help.

Closing:
    I am going to need a lot of help here and I am hoping you all would give me a hand, and if you want to meet up along the way, I will most definitely be happy to do that. (I will post my route later as I get closer to leave.)

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Summer will be Hot a mesh jacket would be appropriate. As for gas just carry a small 0ne or two gallons container would be fine, there are gas sta. every where.

3. Scubalong

United States
    Bring fix a flat in case, some wet nap for you and to clean the bike and ur shield.

4. Scubalong

United States
    Small pump or air cartriege to fill up a flat.

5. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Roger that thanks.

6. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Do any one you guys know where I can find some instructions to change my oil and fluids?

7. Scubalong

United States
    Forgot........bring a can of lube for your chain
    If I were you I will make sure fresh oil and plugs, new sporcket and chain before the trip or at least check to see if they will last for the next 3k miles.
    If you swing by So Cal let me know I will take you to south of the border for some Taco

8. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Found this link in the Specifications section of the Forum. If you download the manual it should give you most of the information you need.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/specifications/3161-downloadable-parts-catalogs-service-manuals.html

As for gas stops, it depends on which route you may take out of Alaska, and though I can't say as I have ever driven the Alaska highway, I'm sure there are a few areas to find fuel. Never hurts to carry a small gas can (a 1 or 2 gal can would be plenty I think) I had a 97 VFR750 and could easily manage 400 km's per tank (my best was 426 km's on 18 litres so I still had 3 litres left in the tank) before filling up when cruising on the highway. In town, stop and go riding, used up more gas but by the time you have to worry about stop and go traffic, gas stations should be easy to find.

As for the windscreen, I'm sure there is a website on the net where you can find a new screen for the bike. Personally, I have had a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen on both my last bike (97 VFR750) and my current bike (a 2000 VFR800) and have found the added wind protection to be more than adequate. I am 6'-1" and 180 lbs and found the ZG DB more effective on the 97 VFR than my current bike, but that is more personal preference. The ZG screens on either bike were not that expensive and were easy to install.

If you are planning a long trip such as this, a three season jacket might definitely be a good idea, as you are likely to encounter a wide range of temperature differences during the ride and nothing will tire you out faster on a bike than being either too cold or too hot. As Scubalong said, a mesh type jacket for the southern part of your trip would certainly be a good investment. If your aunt is willing to carry a jacket for you, then you might want to consider carrying a warmer jacket for the northern part of your journey and higher altitude portions and a mesh for the hotter areas. If you can find one that does both, all that much the better. I would also consider a good set of pants as well, and probably some sort of rain gear.

Luggage for the bike, to hold all your gear would certainly be a good idea, but hard of soft luggage is up to you. I recently purchased a top rack for my 2000 VFR from Givi and plan to get a top case this year. I think that Givi still sells a mounting kit for the older VFR's but you would have to check to be sure. You could take a look at Motorcycle Luggage, Motorcycle Protection, Handguards & Accessories - TwistedThrottle.com and see if hard luggage or soft is available. I bought my rack from these guys and they were very easy to deal with, and the parts arrived very quickly.

If no other work has been done to your bike, you may also want to consider carrying a spare Regulator/Rectifier under the seat just in case the charging system suffers a failure. This may seem like a bit of overkill, but after suffering an R/R failure 4 hours from home on my last bike, I wouldn't want to think what would happen if you were WAY far away from home when it happened, especially if you were in the middle of nowhere. Just a thought.

Checking and changing out the major fluids before the trip would certainly be worth while, such as the oil, coolant, and possibly the brakes and clutch as well. Taking along a can of chain lube is a good idea, and certainly check and replace the chain if required.

Have we covered everything yet. LOL Sounds like an EPIC journey and hopefully one that you enjoy immensely.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I highly recommend bringing an extra R/R (regulator/rectifier) since they are notorious for going out and leaving you stranded. I've owned two 1993 models and have had to replace 3 units on them together. Trust me when I tell you because you don't want it happening to you in the middle of nowhere because it won't be easy to find a replacement on the spot..

Rollin

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sounds like a great trip. I have never driven the Alaska Highway either but way up north, you will not find gasoline stations as readily as you do down south. I suggest, seeing as you appear to be in no hurry, that if you are at 1/2 tank and going by a gas bar, fill up. Unless yoiu know for certain that there is a gas bar up the road.

A three season suit would be your best answer. But don't expect to find anything that is water proof. That is a falicy when it comes to three season suits. One of the best investments you can make is a two piece rain suit. I have a Teknic suit. About $120.00 for jacket and pants. Nylon outer and rubber lined. That will keep your body dry. Believe it or not, a cheap rain suit goes a long way in keeping you warm on colder days. The rubber backing of the suit absolutely stops any wind penetration, and in doing so, also traps you body heat inside where it is needed.

As far as Tourmaster goes. Fuggem as far as I am concerned. I would get something else. Alpinestars seems to be well appreciated here. ALthough I do not, have not and not likely now to own one but I have heard nothing bad about them here or anywhere else.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/36952-tourmaster-transition-series-2-jacket.html

Olympia suits seem to be making quite a splash o the market. I have a Motocop buddy who wears one as uniform in Vancouver where it rains a lot. He tells me he stays very dry in that jacket. But again, I have no personal experience with their jacket. I have their pants and am happy with them.

I encourage you to purchase some Underarmour Heat Gear to wear beneth the suit. Heatgear is for wearing in the heat. I have the hockey heatgear which are pants and long sleeved top. Bought a couple sizes oversized to that they would not be too tight for the very long rides. When I was riding in the 90* temps in Arizona, so long as I was moving, I stayed cool. Otherwise like Scubalong said, you would benifit from a perforated jacket.

Keep close tabs on your tires. One long trips such as what you are planning, they tend to wear to a flat centre well before the sidewalls show a lot of wear. I would also start this trip with a new chain and sprockets. Unless you know for sure they are relatively new. As mentioned here before, take a can of chain lube. If you are riding longs days, you should be lubing mid day and at leaast at the end of each day when the chain is still warm.

Enjoy your ride. If you come by Chilliwack, which is 70 miles east of Vancouver, BC, Give me a heads up. I would love to ride with your for a while on your journey.

11. silverbullet132

silverbullet132 New Member

+1 on tire wear.

Another good thing to go by: if ANY part on the bike might not last the trip, replace it. Also carry a spare R/R and stator (with gasket for the stator) and all tools needed for minor jobs. So far has seemed to be 8mm, 10mm, 17mm sockets + a set of allen keys for me on my 5th gen.

12. Scubalong

United States
    GPS would be helpful :wink:

13. Motozeke

Motozeke New Member

Know that any gear other than leather is likely to be good for one crash and one crash only. If you can't afford leather then you can't, but I'm a convert. Ya spends more, ya gets more.

And by the way, I've ridden in perforate leather in temps up to 105, and it was no hotter than vented cordura. Get a cool vest for the hot days and get the best protection you can afford... IMHO mesh is a waste of money.

14. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Hey everyone thanks for the tips. I will be leaving sometime in June, either June 1 or the 15th, I will be going through Canada and re-entering through Montana. From there the plan is to see yellow stone. Go to Devil’s Tower, then Mount Rushmore. Then like down I-25 or something and hit Denver, Colorado for a few days. Then Grand Canyon/Bryce National Park, and maybe like Flagstaff in Arizona. Then Vegas, Then California. My aunt has a bunch of places to hit there so I am not sure where I’ll be there. But ill definitely post an update when I have that part of the trip down. My guess is though, that I won’t be going as far south as San Diego. But from there, up the coast and then into Washington, Seattle area basically, got some family to see.
    Like I’ve said before, basically gonna go down and plan as I go. If I come near anywhere and anyone wants to ride part of the way you are welcome to join just post on the forums and we can work something out, like by phone/email/Face book, doesn’t matter.
    If anyone has any places that I have to go along the way, I am open to suggestions.
    I will be posting pictures of my bike maintenance soon, and what I decide to pack and take and what not so stay tuned.

15. Scubalong

United States
    About time for your update

16. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    I know sorry, I've just been so busy with school and all.

My gear update; so far I have not purchased any new gear. Took a look at the budget and I dont have enough money to purchase an entire new gear set, soooo. Ill be rolling down bascially with a Icon Helmet, my AlpineStar gloves, and the AlpineStar Jacket. I am going to take Randy's tip and get some underarmor, also going to try and find some cheap riding pants, either some Jeans that have that Kevlar stuff or maybe some legit like aplinestars riding pants. Otherwise I'll be using the "ColemanSpecial". Haven't had any problems with rain riding in the rain so I think I will be ok.

17. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map

I just picked up some Aerostitch AD1 riding pants...pricy at 300 but absolutely top notch and 100% waterproof (gore-tex). Good luck!

18. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hope you have a great trip and if you happen to be near the Kelowna area of the Okanagan Valley and need a place to crash for the night don't hesitate to look me up. I can always offer a place to sleep, a cold beer and a meal for a fellow site memeber.

19. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Hey thanks, might not be near it on the way down. But on the way back up I might be swing close by, I'll let you know, But thanks for the offer. I'll buy beer :)

20. ySeven

ySeven New Member

Map
    Thanks for the tip, if you say they are legit, I think I'll take a look online for some.