2010 VFR1200F DCT as first bike

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by north13, May 22, 2011.

1. north13

north13 New Member

Please share your comments and thoughts about a VFR1200f DCT as a first bike. I am considering this bike because I have very limited mobility in my left ankle and have not been able to find an apparatus that will allow me to operate a conventional shifter properly. My concern is that the bike will be too big and powerful for a first bike. I am signed up for two training courses but will not be able to use their bikes due to my ankle. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

2. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello there

It seems like you're aware of the things that would concern me. It is really big, and pretty heavy to boot. But hey, if it allows you to enjoy riding and you can handle it then it's definitely worth a shot.

Only suggestion I have would be to try and test the waters a little if at all possible, before spending that much money on a toy! (I have spent way too much on toys over the years)

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    too damn heavy for someone with a weak leg or ankle or anyone's first bike.

4. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Get an old Triumph. Early 70's or older. They are all right foot shift. Fairly light weight and low cg.

5. north13

north13 New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. After your comments and speaking to a few other folks I think i will modify my search. maybe I will be back to the VFR World in a couple of years.

6. nik08

nik08 New Member

I have had plenty of friends start out on liter bikes (1000cc) and above for their first bike and not have any problems. They were Honda CBRs and other sport bikes but if you are mature and respect the bike, the potential speed or the number of cc's is a non issue in my eyes. The only thing I would be concerned about is the weak leg for any two wheeler frankly. Can Am has Spyders (my wife owns a RS-s) which are pretty darn fun in semi auto (trigger shifting). There is no left leg movement needed and it brakes all three wheels with the right foot only (no right hand needed either). The only thing you do not have is a "lean" factor to turn the bike (turns like a 4 wheeler by turning the bars with power steering). It is fun in its own way because you can go full throttle all day on it without any real fear of reprocussions (3 wheels abs, traction control and stability control). Its a great alternative to folks who may have limited mobility or fear two wheelers for whatever reason. Its not as fast as my VFR but there is a lot to the saying that its funner to ride a slower bike super fast than have to ride a fast bike slow. No real worries in the rain on that thing either because of the three wheels and all the saftey factors. Just a thought on something else to look in to.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map