2005 vfr low beam burnt out

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by thatedge, Dec 12, 2021.

1. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Can anyone help? 2005 vfr low beams stopped working however high beam still works.

I've tried changing the low beam bulbs but that doesn't work.

Does anyone have pictures of the relays and/or suggestions to resolve?

2. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    You probably need to check the Lo Beam Relay. Both Hi and Lo Beams are powered from the same source, it's only the relay that's basically the independent part of the circuit.
    So swap your Hi and Lo Beam Relay and if the fault transfers to the Hi Beam then you have located a faulty relay.
    Failing that you'll need to verify voltages and grounds are good for the Lo Beam relay circuit and also at the globe socket.
    Do you have a circuit diagram or the Service Manual to refer to?

The other issue that is fairly common, is the Starter Switch. When you press the Starter Switch it does two functions.
    1. It switches OFF your headlights.
    2. Then it energises the Starter Relay.
    Sometimes due to crud in the switch the auxiliary contacts don't make when you release the switch to power the headlights again. However, a fault with the Starter Switch will kill both Hi and Lo Beams and you Don't have this issue, so don't worry about the Starter Switch, just for info.

Also if you are regularly blowing Lo Beam globes VERIFY your charging voltage, it may be too high, upwards of 15.5v (faulty R/R). Apart from blowing globes, this could destroy your battery and even worse, your ECM.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  3. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Thank you for responding.

Do you have a picture of the relay and it's location on the bike so I know what I'm looking at and where to look?

4. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Have a search through the "Specifications" section of this forum you should find a downloadable link for the Service Manual.

The headlight relays are located in the front upper cowl section, refer attached drawing.

Attached Files:

5. One Ida 31

One Ida 31 Insider

United States
    Visalia in the People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Map
    DB Electrical 240-54035 New Starter Relay Mitsuba Style for Honda M/C(1985-2013) 38501-GN2-014 38501-GN2-004 I replaced one a couple of months ago on my '99. I got it off of Amazon.

6. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Thanks

7. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Holy camoli --- how the heck do I get at that

8. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
  9. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
  10. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Hello ... I'm still struggling with my low beams out.

Fuses are good, relays are good, wiring is good ... at least as far as I can trace; new phillips 9003 b1 bulbs installed.

I'd rather not run without low beams but I'm getting desperate because the riding season is 1/2 over.

11. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Have you checked your ground spider connector??

12. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by ground spider connector ... while I wait for you to describe better I will see if I can figure it out.

13. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    There is a multi-way connector with a number of ground wires..... taped into the wire harness..... Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Gen6 has that up near the front, and the ground block is yellow. Look for a lump taped into the harness.

14. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    upload_2022-8-6_20-17-13.jpeg upload_2022-8-6_20-17-13.jpeg I didn't upload_2022-8-6_20-17-13.jpeg upload_2022-8-6_20-17-13.jpeg

I found this socket (brown and green) just hanging there and it has power to it but I can't find where it would plug into. I had not noticed it before.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  15. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Now I'm a bit more confused ... the high beam works whether or not I have the 20A headlight fuse in the fuse holder. The low beam does not work with or without the headlight fuse in. In desperation I tried another 20A fuse but that didn't work.

I didn't see an area where there is a common ground in a cluster however I'm sure it is there somewhere.

By the way ... thank you for trying to help me solve this riddle.

16. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Check the relays - chances are one has failed. There are different relays for the dipped beams and mains so you could swap them around. If that moves the problem to the main lights not working then you know you have a relay fault.

17. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Thanks ... checked relays first and the relays are good.

18. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Maybe the new bulbs were no good from the box so when the auto supply opens I will try 2 new light bulbs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  19. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    The socket you are referring to is the ECM Diagnostic Link. Has nothing to do with your lighting.

Unless you've pulled the wrong Fuse, or your bikes wiring has been modified, if you pull the 20amp headlight fuse your Hi and Lo beams will be dead!

As previously mentioned - Have you confirmed with a meter you have Voltage (White/Black wire) and Ground at the Low Beam globe sockets? Determine what is missing at the globe socket be it a ground or voltage then work back from that! Make sure the Ground IS Grounded (continuity back to the battery Negative terminal). If the 12v is missing then follow that back to the Lo Beam Relay socket, are you seeing 12v on the Black/Red wire at the Relay socket?

Can't help any further unless you properly determine what is missing using a multimeter, only then can we go down the path of finding why a Ground or Voltage is not there!

There should be a simple answer to your problem, the headlight circuit is not a complex one, just need some solid answers as to what is missing at the headlight Lo Beam sockets as a starting point.

There is No point in replacing Fuses, Relays and Globes randomly without taking proper voltage/ground/continuity measurements! It's a poor, expensive, and time wasting, fault finding technique.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  20. thatedge

thatedge New Member

Canada
    Hello,

Nope, I pull the greenish \ yellow 20A fuse and the high beam still works when I flick the high beam switch; strange indeed! The relays are good. I've swapped them a number of times and when I remove the high beam relay the high beam stops working. I now have the original high beam relay in the low beam relay position for good measure.

I've only been able to get millivolts to the low beam globe sockets until about 5 minutes ago when I took the low beam bulbs out, took the back off both low beam sockets, physically separated the green and white wires on both sides and then got 12 + volts. This suggests to me that I have to figure out how to peel the front nose piece (fairing) off, strip the black electrical tape off on the low beam wires on both sides and chase it back to see where \ if the wire(s) is broken. Another cause may be that the connectors in the globe sockets may need to be replaced ... I'm grasping!

Now that I have 12V I think I am getting closer but I don't want to put the new globes in and fry them until I figure out the wire condition underneath.

Past experience tells me to call it a night because I'm getting flustered and may break something! I truly hate electrical troubleshooting :(