2002-2005 Honda VFR Recall Letter

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by dravera, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Jackal9501

Jackal9501 New Member

Warning!!!!

Well I also had the letter before Christmas. I have had the bike from second hand for about 4 months now and no problems at all. The bike is 2003 model with 60,ooo Kms on the clock.
    I booked the bike in for the recall check and the guys here at Peter Stevens in Melbourne Australia new about the problem.
    3 days before it was due (tomorrow it is due for the service) I was out riding, I got about 80 Kms out and everything died. Good job I was in the left hand lane and NOT overtaking at the time. The battery went totally flat, almost shorted out. I have just charged it up and it seems fine now, lets hope its good enough to travel the 25kms to the service shop.
    I'll let you know what the actual prob was.

Have a safe ride all.

Simon

2. MileHighInterceptor

MileHighInterceptor New Member

This makes a ton of sense. I haven't heard about this recall before but have experienced the effects. I never had it happen when I only had H4 and H7 halogens installed. After installing and H4 low beam HID kit, my lights would flicker rapidly and make a "sizzle" sound (but no smell) when I engaged the high beams. Needless to say I never used them. I figured it was because there was a current mis-balance. I later installed a H7 high beam kit and had even more difficulty. Firstly, one of my low beams changed from the diamond white 6000k color to a slightly violet color (also dimmer). Secondly, occasionally when I had the high beams on and even with them off, the electric system caused the bike to sputter slightly; it did this once at 70mph on the interstate. Disconcerting. Right now I am riding around with the left hand (as you sit) low beam unplugged and have no issues. (I can also turn on the high beams issue free).

I was going to pull the panels off, check all of the wiring, and even look into installing a larger stater/voltage reg. and new wiring. If this recall holds true, I guess I'll have to call the 800 number and check to see if they have my VIN in the data base. I didn't re-register my bike with Honda of America last January when I bought it used. I wonder if I did it now if they would still send out the letter to me.

So once Honda gets all of the parts worked out are you supposed to be able to take your bike to an authorized dealer and have it fixed on their tab?

3. VFR_Rod

VFR_Rod New Member

You're a bit late to the party, but yes, Honda pays for the new wiring harness and labor to install, it is a recall covering all affected bikes regardless of owner. My local dealer was doing a few of them last winter/spring/summer.

4. Mav777

Mav777 New Member

United States
    Map
    When I purchased my 2005, about 6 months ago, on the way home I was bitten by this bug, the only difference I made vs. the guy I purchased the bike from was actually using the high-beams, just that little bit of difference in load was the final straw. The dealer preformed the harness change and everything was fine, in fact the lights now seem much brighter than before, but anything would have been better than the no lights at the time.

5. DavidM02VFR

DavidM02VFR New Member

I am new to the VFR World web site and decided to write a reply to this thread since I have some experience on this subject. I have an '02 VFR with 34k miles on it (all mine!). ~2 years ago, with about 22k miles, she stopped dead on the freeway as I was coming home from work. Not fun - I was in the fast lane but managed to coast to the shoulder safely. The lights would come on but when I turned the key on, the fuel pump would not energize and the starter button would not engage the starter - it was like if the cut-off switch was in the OFF position. I had just installed a PC III about 2 weeks earlier and was sure that was the problem. Honda Riders Club (I had roadside assistance with them) came and picked up the bike on the side of the freeway and it cost me $275 to tow the bike about 12 miles home. I am no longer a member of HRC - needless to say. The next day I looked around near the PC III and the battery and I discovered a burned up 30 Amp main fuse. I replaced it and everything worked again. I noticed when the engine was running the fuse holder was getting very hot to the touch. I decided to put about 3 spare fuses in the owners manual envelope and carry them with me everywhere I go but I knew that was not going to fix the problem. Finally when I took the bike to the Honda dealer - The Whitter Fun Center on Whittier Blvd in Whittier, CA - they did some trouble shooting and asked to keep the bike for an extra day or two until they figured out the problem. I was ok with that since they said they were in touch with American Honda and they wanted to find the cause. After a few days the service mgr (Stan) called me and told me the problem was fixed. They replaced the 30 amp main fuse wire harness with a new larger gauge wire harness. It was all fixed under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the bike new in 2002. It has been running just fine ever since but I will look at the ground wire as mentioned in some of the earlier posts to see if there was anything done with that. Besides this one problem (which was major at the time and could have been very bad if I was dragging a knee in the canyon when it happened) the bike has been flawless. I also own a 2005 BMW K1200S that is a blast to ride, but when I get on the VFR I smile everytime!

6. steviee7

steviee7 New Member

I called my local Honda dealer and gave them my VIN and they said it didn't fall in the recal list. Mine is an 03! I figure if any one needs a recall it would be an older model not a newer model like an 04-06. ANyways mine did the same thing as some others. It would just quit while driving! It scared the crap out of me first because I was getting into traffic. Crap! No my bike won't charge my battery. I noticed it yesterday whn I was at a light and the "N" flickered I would give it gas and then the "N" would get bright. I turned the high-beams on the and bike just died. It wouldn't restart. Battery was to low. I push started it for about 30feet and it started but soon died. I went home on the back of my friends bike got a fresh battery to get my VFR home. Got home and noticed it wasnt charging the battery. So now I will take it to my local shop, What should I tell him to look for. The green wire on the blue connector and the 30A fuse wire? anything else to look for like melted wires? I'm going to call American Honda next and bitch at them.

7. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Well i had my 04, with 38,500 wiring recall done last week. Never had any issues with my bike, went ahead and made the apt. to take it in. Sure enough the week before taking it in, it cut out on me twice, but only for a second, and would fire back up and run fine. Have only put a few hundred miles on the bike since getting it back. Seems to run fine.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    The recall apply to.......

From 02 to 05 If your dealer tell you it does not effect your 03. They are full of :bs::bs: I have my 05 done no question ask. Go to another dealer please

9. vegita65

vegita65 New Member

SO, My 03 should be covered. It cuts out every so often. Then I have to refire it up.

10. vpilot

vpilot New Member

Had my 02 repaired last Jan. under the recall. I had the melted wires back in 04 and repaired it myself. When I took it in for the recall I told them that I repaired the problem. They took pics called Honda and were told to make the repair. Honda replaced the complete wireing harness for me.

vpilot

11. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Well took my bike to the dealer a couple weeks ago. I called them up and they got the wiring harness in a couple days. I dropped off the bike, they had it for a week, but it's finally done. Bike runs the same as it did before the replacement. Bike had 39,000 miles at the time of the work. Not sure how I accumulated so many miles without any issues, compared to others out there. It was a simple, straight forward process.

12. megasunomi

megasunomi New Member

fuse issue

Is this the fuse you guys are talking about? How would i know if its been replaced or not? Mine appears to be in like new condition and no signs of damage. I am the second owner of mine and it has 4k on it.

Also, where exactly is the wire you talk about that requires a new ground I found this harness on the left side of the bike near the front, Do I need to remove plastics or something in order to fix this ?

Attached Files:

13. vegita65

vegita65 New Member

I dropped off my bike tuesday for the recall. They took the pics of the harness and sent honda the pics. Honda asked for more pics.

Is that good ? or bad?
    The engine kept cutting out, and cut out in the middle of a corner causing me to dump the bike, and I called corperate Honda and was told that it would be fixed as long as the wiring harness is covered under the recall

14. RochefortX

RochefortX New Member

Hi guys. I have a 2007 RWB that had this problem. The shop "fixed it" - no ... not really ... and did a re-work on my wiring harness. Does anybody know how to tell the difference between the old front wiring harness and the new one the recall replaces I believe?

15. RochefortX

RochefortX New Member

In addition to my previous post, the recall did not cover 2007 - I think it wasn't supposed to be an issue. Nevertheless, I know how things work, and am wondering if an older front wiring harness got installed anyway.

16. silvertail01

silvertail01 New Member

Map
    I had this happen to me the other day. Was riding along when the bike died. Turned off, then on, no joy. Tried it again, and it started. Everything seemed fine and I made it through the rest of my ride. Then the other night, I rode to a restaurant to have dinner, and when I came out and tried to start the bike, no joy. I got it on the truck and took it to the dealer Wed. Told them the symptoms and that it hadn't had the recall applied yet. Just got the call yesterday afternoon that it was fixed, at no charge. I am hoping that they actually installed all of the new parts necessary. How would I know what they replaced? Do I need to take off any fairing panels or anything to tell? What am I looking for? As you can probably tell, I don't work on this bike, other than lubing the chain, replacing the battery, and checking the tire pressures. All work pretty much gets done at the dealership. Any guidance to help me verify the work they did would be appreciated.

17. indyvfr

indyvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Fuse Issue

I have an '07 RWB and I had the main fuse issue too. The bike suddenly died back in the fall of '08 in the middle of an intersection. The 30A main fuse next to the battery blew and it really cooked the fuse holder and the wiring. Took the bike in and the dealer told me that my PIAA headlights were the issue, as they said they found no other problems. I called BS on it and told them I'd be back. I put the OEM lights back in. Bike died again once in April '09 and I told them to fix it (under warranty) right this time. They replaced the fuse holder and harness, which Megasunomi had a picture of. Although the wiring harness issue wasn't supposed to affect the '07s, something was wrong with mine. It has been fine ever since. Even took a 4,000 mile trip to Colorado & Utah last summer after the "fix" and it was fine.

18. grasshopper

grasshopper New Member

Received the letter from Honda Australia early 2009 and had Peter Stevens in Melbourne city finally do it late last year. Spoke to Jack in spares at Redwing Honda about it before they shut shop. He said the problem was first identified and fixed here locally. Dunno if that is so but anyway glad to have the front loom replaced before any hassles. Took them a few days but I think they had some probs getting my fiberglass fairings to fit back on and they refused to give a warranty on the work due it being a customed bike. Doesn't matter, all good, like I need a warranty on my bike anyway. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. e cabrera

e cabrera New Member

Photos please¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Hello Amigo, Please add some photos to be sure about the wire who causes all this mess¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

20. e cabrera

e cabrera New Member

Hola Amigo,
    plase add some photos to be sure of the wire who's causing all this mess,
    Does anybody knows the VIN number of 2002 model included in that recall?. Honda doesn' sale VFRs in Mexico )there are few and are imported from USA , Iwent to ask about the recall and does not know nothing about.
    Thanks¡¡¡¡¡¡¡