2002-2005 Honda VFR Recall Letter

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by dravera, Sep 20, 2007.

1. superfastwannabe

superfastwannabe New Member

Map
    +1 on the 30 amp fuse problem for my 2002. Melted my fuse holder and connector. That, was a bad day.

I haven't had the problem with the blue connector and the forward hardness yet. I'm interested to see how Honda will address it. Going to keep riding it. Actually, I had just gotten back from a 2 week trip on my VFR when I got the notice. Oh well. ;-)

2. keeena

keeena New Member

I also had the problem w/ the Fuse-B pigtail (30A fuse holder & short wire) problem on my 2002 VFR w/ 4k miles. The fuse, holder and short connector were completely fried. Fixed it by making my own pigtail.

Jeremy556 - Your post got me thinking a bit...

When i fixed my bike, i noticed that the R/R Output ties into the Fuse-B wire (thus system charging is done over this line). I'm thinking that its possible that the monitor wire issue may be the underlying cause for the Fuse-B pigtail burning up. Meaning too much current from R/R will begin to toast the weakest link. The Fuse-B pigtail issue may just be a side-effect, not a problem source. Anyone who made a beefed up Fuse-B pigtail may just be diverting the problem elsewhere.

FWIW I'll be doing my monitor wire ASAP. :thumb:

[edit] Which wire is the monitor wire? A search for "monitor wire" only returns 3 threads, none of which discuss the issue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  3. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

I also think the burned up 30 amp fuse may be a side effect of over charging caused by the monitor wire.

This is the monitor wire. It is white/black or black/white. Be sure you get the connector coming from the R/R, there are connectors for the switchgear in the same area.
    [​IMG]
    You can use a jeweler's screw driver to remove it from the connector and use a female disconnect to attach to your wire to the battery (or relay) to do the fix without any harness modifications.

4. keeena

keeena New Member

Cool, thanks for pointing out the wire. Looking at the schematic, I see the W/BL wire from the R/R connects to the following components:
    -TOS
    -Engine Stop Switch
    -Fuse Box (6-gang)

If this is the wire you're talking about, I'm not sure how it is a monitor wire (expected just a line to ECM). I haven't looked at your pic yet due to work blocking the hosting site. I'll check it out later and update/post.

Unless this just happens to be a random 12v circuit that the R/R ties into to check batt voltage? Meaning just route a new wire directly from battery will at least provide R/R with batt voltage. The rest of the circuit is left to fend for itself. I'm getting ahead of myself...let me look at the pic first.

I've definitely pulled my share of metal connectors from the plugs...fun, isn't it? Lifting the retaining clips can be a royal pain in the ass.

5. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    I to use the bike to work 6 days a week. I have no other way to work. So like you I say if it blows up they will be supplying a new bike!!! Does anyone have a word on how long it is going to take honda?

6. dravera

dravera New Member

VFR Recall

I called Honda last week. John at Honda told me that they are planning on having the parts in dealerships towards the end of October.

7. troy

troy New Member

Map
    HELP!! I have an '05 bought as a left over last oct. it now has 9000 miles and it suffered the the recall issues out at lake george this summer. The dealer repaired it and its been fine. last weekend when turning the key on the lights wouldnt come on and and the dash chattered like before the repair. If you cycle the key it would eventually come out of it.

I found this thread and inspected for the "new" ground and it wasnt there!

I guess I dont know what the dealer did, so I did the repair myself (without the extra ground to the frame) but it still acts up. WTF mate!?!?

Could this still be a grounding issue?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  8. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Jeremy, does this issue include the '98 or other 5th generation bikes?

I've already been through the R/R issue and added a fan.

Honda must have assigned the electrical harness design to a newbie engineer! :frusty:

9. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

No, this only affects the 6th gen bikes for the ground wire issue.

10. dravera

dravera New Member

vfr recall

Here is an update on the recall from Honda. I called the factory last week and asked when the parts would be avaible. The factory told me the parts won't be avaible until the end of November. So, in the meantime my bike is down until then. What do you think of that?

11. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

This has been a problem since 2002 - go ride your VFR.

If you are that concerned with Honda's lawyer speak, fix the problem yourself. It only takes about 15 minutes and $3 worth of parts available from any auto parts store.

12. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    Update

I just got my bike serviced at the local honda dealership last week. (Thousand Oaks Honda, Ca) He said next week he should have the parts for the recal. So some time this week they should have the parts. I am planning on taking it to them on Friday. I will let you know how it goes.

13. dravera

dravera New Member

vfr recall

Thanks for the info.

14. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    Sill Waiting!!!

Have been calling the Honda Dealership once a week for the past three weeks, and there is no word on when they will get the parts for the recall. They told me to keep calling. I will post a reply when I get word that the parts are in. Hope everyone is having a good time riding. Very good weather in Southern California. Talk with you all later.

15. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    OK, Just took my bike into my local dealer (Marin Cycle Works, CA) They agree that the repair is for the ground wire in the main harness. They claim that they originally notified Honda about the problem and had the NTSB and Honda Reps at their dealership to alert Honda to the problem. They checked out my 05' and said no issues but preformed the temporary fix anyway, just in case. They expect the parts some time in Novemeber and will apply the premanant fix once they arrive. I guess I'll keep waiting. I say go ahead a keep riding. They never told me to stop... :biggrin:

16. GR8TSCT

GR8TSCT New Member

Map
    Finally!!!

I just got a notice in the mail from Honda stating the parts are available to fix the recall. My bike is in the shop getting it fix now. SAWEEEET!!

17. sspilotmi

sspilotmi New Member

How to trailer the VFR?

I just got the letter from Honda saying the parts are in and to schedule an appointment for repair. The temperature here in Wisconsin is in the 30's, the dealership is 40 miles away. I'm not too keen to take the trip exposed to the elements.

I have a utility trailer, has anyone had experience on how to tie down a VFR to a trailer without damaging the fairing?

18. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Use a canyon dancer, or use soft ties around the lower triple clamp, or on the upper triple clamp and just use towels to keep the tie down from rubbing on the fairing.

19. OneSided

OneSided New Member

Map
    Got my parts are in letter, called local dealer, got told that they didn't sell any VFR's so Honda did not send any kits to them yet...apparently Honda is initially sending kits only to the stores that originally sold the VFR...my bike was originally purchased in Maine so I guess it's time for a road trip! LOL
    He said he thinks the rest of the dealers won't start receiving the parts for weeks-months?!? Luckily that was just the closest dealer to me, hopefully I'll have better luck with another dealer in the area!

20. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Wow, I moved recently and thus did not get this letter.
    What i'm more worried about is the problems not adressed.

Are the other issues a case of if it ain't broke? and just wait or should i fix them now? I'm about as mechanically inclined as whale.