1994 RVF400R Build Project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NorcalBoy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NC35_Guy

NC35_Guy New Member

United States
    Has Mike explained his diagnosis of why the valves were getting chewed up? I noticed that the new valves do not have the gold Ti Nitride. Perhaps he found a better material for the valves that work with the existing guides.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

No, I don't. They seem to just fine with the stock rads and engine configuration, no problem at all. At least in the very short period of time my stock engine was running. The 400 has almost as much radiator surface area as the 800, especially with the Radtec Rads.

Mike has a lot of experience with these engines and he mentioned that the 428 and 450 engines had trouble keeping the temps down when sitting, like on the grid before a race start. However, they were not running a fan in race trim. He also said they ran warm +/- 200 in race conditions. He has a full MOTEC data collection system on their race 450, so he has a lot of data and he has shared a lot of that info with me. I'm going to run my Radtec rads initially, and see what I end up with for temps. I will have the dual temp gauge setup now, so I can monitor the inlet and outlet temps of the rads and I'll be able to see exactly how things are working.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It was the finishing on the valves stems from the machining during the manufacturing process. The Ti Nitride only made it worse. I don't know who made the valves, never asked.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah, he checked everything out, that is why he accused me of being anal...the fucker :Whistle:.

Say, I will have an almost new set of EBC Vee rotors for sale here soon and I might be willing to let them go cheap...to a friend. I will also have a nice set of OEM rims, powdercoated black, ceramic bearings in the front, with almost new Diablo Rosso Corsa II's...but don't know about the economics of shipping these to the UK.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. NC35_Guy

NC35_Guy New Member

United States
    I think I have an idea of what's on the way from Tyga :Pop2:

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would have to believe it's fairly obvious. Had to do it.

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
  8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Naw. Broke down and ordered a set of PVM wheels from Tyga, 3.50x17 front and 5.00x17 rear, in white and a set of Axis front rotors from Braketech for the front.

If anybody is interested, I have the EBC Vee Rotors for sale, $350, normally $460 new. Only about 60 miles on them. I know, wrong place to post that. Fuck it, did it anyway.

[​IMG]

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Oh well, guess I won't be selling those Vee rotors right away.....Just got a call from Jeff at Braketech and they won't have any 298mm Axis iron rotors available for 60-90 days, but I'm on the list for fist dibs!

10. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Crap I wanted them for my Nissan Titan! They look big enough to go on there LOL!

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Hahahahaha, 298mm isn't big, considering that modern hyperbikes are now sporting 330's. that's a full 1.25" larger in diameter.

Jeff told me the steel for the outer rotor is going out for heat treating by the end of the week. Then that needs to get machined. They also have to do a run of the rotor carriers and then those have to go out for hard anodizing. The delay is that the machine tools are already booked with other carriers and outer rotors for awhile. They only do seasonal runs on the 298's and they usually sell out fast, so I'm glad I'm on the list and have access before they get offered to the public.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Diving Pete likes this.
  12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Have a set of braketechs on my cbr400 - I like them..

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Do you have the iron rotors, or the stainless? I want the iron version. Don't need to worry about rust in AZ and there is no way this moto will ever see rain.

14. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    ill ck but think they may be the SS...

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I looked at the SS, but the iron rotors have traits that were an improvement over the SS. Discussed the pros and cons with Jeff, and he said the iron are better across the board, except the rust factor.

Ordered up a set of Diablo Rosso Corsa 3's for the new rims. Chaparral had them on sale, $300 a set delivered. Paul at Tyga recommended the 160/60 for the rear, so I went with that.

16. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Where I live is a little more humid....

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yep, soggy is my recollection. Arizona is more air fryer than humidifier.

You have a need for those Vee rotors?, I might just send them to you when the Axis rotors are mounted. I'll never need them again and I have to start trimming the bits I have left over from this project, most of it is pretty worthless to me.

Diving Pete likes this.
  18. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Oh I'd love them !!! lol...

I would say make no decisions until you are ready.. its cool with me anyway...

Oh the Rad setup I think you will be fine as you are running a fan. Also you are not - in general going to be running this as a racing bike. In short, I'm not convinced that you will be able to ride it hard enough on the road to worry to much about it - I also suspect you are thinking along the same lines...

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Honestly, I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I'm more concerned with stationary operating temps, more so than moving. I should be able to see it pretty quick with the temp gauge setup and be able to gauge the overall efficiency in real time. I also have the manual switch capability added to the fan switch circuit now, so that will also come into play. One thing about boring engines, it puts the heat closer to the water jacket. Another consideration.

As soon as the Axis rotors go on, the Vee rotors are yours. Wheels have left the Netherlands and should pop up on tracking as being in the US shortly.

Diving Pete likes this.
  20. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry forgot to say big thanks to Mike for the pictures.. Thats really cool.

Looking forward to see the new wheels... YUMM...

And thanks Ron...