1987 vfr700f2 stator removal

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ebanu2003, May 25, 2011.

1. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    I have looked through a lot of the threads and posts, and have read a lot about how people got the stator cover off, but i did not quite understand it. Some people after getting the bolt out put ball bearings in the hole and then used the bolt to pull the magnetic cover off. Some people said that they used dimes or washers to put behind the cover as they slowly pulled it off. I was wondering if anyone had pictures as to how they did this? As of right now, I got a cheap bolt puller from harbor freight, got the bolt out, but havent been able to figure out how to use the puller to get the stator cover off when the holes that should be threaded on the sides are not. I'm posting a pic in the event that someone else can further help me with this issue. [​IMG] The honda puller i was trying to find was this, but was trying to avoid having to buy it: Honda Puller Thanks!

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The puller is the best way to go in my opinion. Never quite understood the dime ball bearing thing myself. I have had to get help from a dealer on a few bikes I did not have puller for and most times a twelve pack o beer for the mechanic can get a stator plucked off.

3. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    :) alright toe cutter...was just trying to avoid it. Theres a few bike shops around my area who I can look up. Otherwise found the "puller dynamo" on powersportsplus for like $18. Might try to get the 20mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolt as suggested in another post and see if that works. I think Ace hardware or something would have one. Definitely gonna maximize my looking before spending more than i have to. We will see what I can come up with I guess! Thanks though.

4. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
  5. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    Well, that would be for the 86 model...are the flywheel magnetos the same for the 86 and 87? I know that there are differences even between the 87 vfr700f2 and the 87 vf700, 86 vf700

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Same tool for both.

7. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    K thanks!! I'm going to go to some shops around here and see if I can get the 22mm x 1.5 pitch...if not, ill try that bad boy out! will let you guys know how it pans out!

8. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map