1986 VFR750F Rear Shock Substitutions?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by chimeraone, Oct 14, 2006.

1. chimeraone

chimeraone New Member

Map
    Since I purchased my 1986 VFR750F, I have been diligently searching the web, VFR groups and reviewing the Archives for parts and advice on upgrading the suspension.

I am going to go with the stock forks and install a fork brace, progressive springs and Racetech gold valve route because I have decided to keep the bike as close to "stock' appearance as possible. This model seems to be appreciating in value.

I did read all the information on installing different forks and wheels. What I can’t find is any suggestions about substituting a higher performance affordable Honda rear shock. There are a lot to choose from, many of which offer aftermarket higher performance spring and valve options that would cost far less than the $600 plus for anything listed for the 86 VFR750F.

Since you can purchase used excellent condition F4, CBR and RC51 rear shocks for well under $100.00....I am very tempted to experiment. Has anyone else?

Thanks,

2. vernk

vernk New Member

i think im game since my stock does nothing anyway

3. vernk

vernk New Member

jamie has great success in his but im looking to spend a little as possible and maybe fab a new mount for the f2 f3 shocks....not sure which to get and play with just yet.

4. cstmvfrguy

cstmvfrguy New Member

Map
    I've heard cbr 900 shocks will fit on my 86 700 I would think they would be the same. I am planning installing one over the winter. I got some great advice from Jamie Daugherty on this site. I'm sure he would know about what will work within budget. good luck.

Ride naked!!! it's cooler

5. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    The CBR shocks do not fit directly and require quite a bit of modification to make work. I've been doing a lot of these conversions lately and it's worked out pretty well. You can use a CBR600F3 or CBR900RR shock but a 600F4(i) shock will not work. If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM and I can fill you in on the details.

6. PingKing

PingKing New Member

Cool info.
    I feel the need for a rear upgrade as well.
    I have a VFR800 shock in my spare parts bin....any upgrade value in the 800's shock????

7. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    It would work but would be more difficult, but I'd suggest finding something else to start with. A CBR600F3 or CBR900RR shock is a better donor and can be purchased on eBay for next to nothing.

8. jamey2466

jamey2466 New Member

what will fit a 1985 vf1000f

9. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Sure! Chech out my site for all of the details on the shock conversion. If you still have questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    back in the day, FOX twin- clicker was the way to go, but they haven't been made for a few years.......

11. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

What's nice is that Fox used a common design for all of the Twin Clicker shocks. That means you can buy a used one on eBay for $100 and modify it to work on the old VFR's. I've done quite a few of these lately. You need to cut down the length of the shock body (which requires machining of a new retaining ring groove) and also a shorter spring to go along with the new overal length. It's not really that involved. Another nice thing is that you can set up the valving to match the bike/rider while it's apart.