1984 VF700F exhaust on one side is cold???

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by 74ullc, Aug 6, 2014.

1. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

Haven't done a carb sync yet. They could be a little out of sync, wouldn't surprise me at all. I'll have to do it when I find the fittings I need to get my gauges hooked up. My gauges do not have screw in fittings, just tubing.

New plugs look good after 120 miles, no more wet fouling so far. No telling how long the other plugs had been in the bike, could have been original.

The missing at 3K RPM seems to be gone, seems to be running very well. Right side exhaust pipe is still cooler than the left....oh well. Now that I know all four cylinders feed both sides I'm not as worried about it. Tinker posted a photo of a cut open collector, all four pipes were open into it. So it's not like two cylinders feed one side and the other two feed the other, all four feed both sides. Think of it like a 4-1-2 exhaust system, with the collector being the 1.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...aust-collector?p=378843&viewfull=1#post378843

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Here's what i shook out of a VFR muffler that sat in a shed for a couple years !!

IMG_0281.jpg

Lotsa bikes just out of storage will blow acorn bits from the exhaust after starting.

3. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    What type of gauges do you have?
    If you look online or on eBay you should see a set of Honda carb sync tubes. They're pretty cheap and screw into the threaded fittings on the bike and your tubing slides onto them.

I bought some allen head bolts that thread in and I drilled little holes through them. I added o-rings to seal them. I screw those 4 in and then attach my hoses to the bolts. I added tension clamps to hold the tubing on securely as the hot metal makes the tubing real soft. It works, but I should probably order some proper adapters.

Oh yeah, when it come to cleaning carbs there are some good threads on this forum. You should run a tiny wire through all the smaller holes including the ones under the rubber diaphram and then blow carb cleaner through them verifying it blows out the end of the passage. Also clean the needle and seat assembly where it moves up and down and set the float heights.

There are a lot of things involved in getting the carbs clean, it sucks. :)

I'm glad you got it running good.

4. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

5. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I thought I'd through in my 2 cents. Mine does the same thing, cold on the right side. Plugs are good. All the headers are hot coming out of the heads. I'm just not going to worry about it because it runs really good. Right side is hot after a ride.