1984 VF500F Rebuild Help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by holidayharris, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. holidayharris

holidayharris New Member

1985 VF500F Rebuild Help

Hello all,

I am in the process of fully restoring a '85 500 Interceptor and I am struggling to find some info so here I am. My main problem is that my engine is completely shot and needs to be replaced and I cant find a good engine anywhere. So, my questions are; where can I find 85 500 engines for sale? or can i use a 85 vf500c magna engine? what about a 86 interceptor engine? I seem to be able to find those much easier.

any help is greatly appreciated,

Holiday

2. Vinman

Vinman New Member

Map
    Hi Harris, if you don't find answers here you can try v4hondabbs.com. Lots of people there with the older v4 Hondas and they're always willing to help.

3. holidayharris

holidayharris New Member

Ill check them out, thanks!

4. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes you can get the V30 from a Magna BUT the cams are different and has a few hp less. It also rev's about 500 rpm less. If you're not racing it you will not really see any difference with the power.

5. jrodrims27

jrodrims27 New Member

United States
    Map
    there's always a few complete engines on ebay... some run but you'd have to check compression and leakdown at least to know what you got, it's a gamble of course and not cheap to get a very good one

the 84 and 85 are the same but if you get an 86, the fuel delivery from the 86 tank and carbs is different but I think you can slap on 84 or 85 carbs, there will probably be vacuum ports you'll need to plug in the heads though., haven't tried it myself but I would if I found a very good 86 engine out there, parts aren't really that hard to find, alot of stuff on ebay, partzilla and a place in the netherlands call CMS even has oversize pistons and rings but they're not cheap.... you can order a complete gasket set at a reasonable price, you just have to search a little bit.

What happened to the original engine? Dropped valve?