Zumo 550 RAM Mount Install

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by nozzle, Feb 1, 2008.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The Garmin Zumo 550 came with a handlebar mount, but I prefer it to be on the bike's centerline. The two options I found during my searches were with a Techmount on the center cap of the triple-tree, or a RAM-mount (RAM-B-231Z) on the gas tank mount. This describes the gas tank mount.

First step is to remove one of the gas tank mount bolts so you can get a longer one to fit over the RAM mount. Leave the black flat washer atop the mount (don't ride until you get the bolt back in)

I went to the local hardware store to get to metric bolts that are longer than the stock #6. I painted the heads and the washers so the mod doesn't standout as much. I had to bring the paint and hardware inside so that it could warm up before I painted and then while it dried. If you don't have the patience to paint it right, just skip this.

Painted bolts.jpg

Put the washers on the bolts, bolts into the RAM mount and in place on the bike.

loose mount.jpg

I had to left the tank some to get the bolts in the right place before they'd start. Tighten them up and you are good to go.

Mount clearance.jpg
    Mount clearance 2.jpg
    GPS Mount.jpg

Yeah, this is basically how to screw two bolts in, but it seems neater with all the pictures. I'll put up the wiring part when I get around to it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. kcamkram

kcamkram New Member

Map
    Hi Nozzle - thanks for this. I've tried to do the same mount on my 98, but ran into some difficulties with the spacing of the bolt holes. The RAM diamond plates with the 1" ball seem to only come with a bolt spacing of 1.912 inches (centre to centre). The spacing of the forward tank mount bolts on my bike are closer to 1 9/16". Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Mark

3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The RAM part I have has slots in the base, so your RAM has many more significant digits than the slots would dictate... do you have the same part I got? I'll have to check the spacing when I get home to see how/if different the 5th gen is.

4. kcamkram

kcamkram New Member

Map
    Thanks Nozzle. The part number that I have (the one recommended by RAM - using their online tool) is RAM-B-238U.

Mark

5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    That is the difference... I used RAM-B-231Z and disguarded the U-bolt. Sorry I missed that Key piece of info on the first post :eek:

6. kcamkram

kcamkram New Member

Map
    Thanks Nozzle,

I'll give that one a try - I appreciate you letting me know what worked for you.

Mark

7. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Finish the job Nozzle.