you guys with a 4th gen, let me ask you this about the lo fuel light...

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by WGREGT, Apr 9, 2012.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    When your fuel is low, and the lo fuel light comes on, does it stay on (solid) even after you turn on/off the bike? Mine is giving me issues (see my other post) and I can't remember how mine worked, whether it only stayed on until I cut the key off, then was off upon restarts, or if it came on when low, and stayed on each time I restarted it until I filled up.

2. MapMaster

MapMaster New Member

IIRC When it comes on due to low gas level in the tank, it's intermittent. It will fade on and off for a while before remaining on steady as the gas level drops further.
    After parking the bike when the low fuel light was lit, upon restart, it would be out for a little while.
    I read your other post and never knew that the sensor was a thermistor, but this makes sense of the behavior. It seems like it would take a few minutes before the engine heat would raise the temp in the tank to the point of re-actuating the light. I'm not familiar with the properties of a thermistor, but it's actuation is probably more based on a temperature differential rather than a specific set point. That way it can work consistently in a wide range of riding weather.

Mine hasn't worked for many years, I just go by the fuel gauge and the trip odometer (which I reset at every fill-up)

Greg