Yosh 4-1 trouble

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by VT_VFR, Jul 8, 2013.

1. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone have experience installing the yosh 4-1 on an '87 700? Dropped it off with my bike when I was getting work done and the mechanic mentioned two problems. The first was that the exhaust hit the center stand mount and it would need to be cut off, I was hesitant at first but now I'm thinking I'm not going to do anything with the center stand anyways.. The second was that the rear suspension link hits the pipe. Does anyone know if there is a work around for this or a fix?

2. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Have heard of people having to take the center stand off if they had one but not a problem with the mount.
    There may have been mentions of problems with the 87 clearing the link due to a longer shock than the 86.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't let anyone damage that stand !!!!!!! I'll pay you $$ for it . PM me !!

Maybe knock a small dent into the pipe for linkage clearance ??

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Squirrel is right on here. DO not damage that centre stand. If you think you can live without it, take it off and offer it up for sale to someone who wants it. Seems centre stands for the older gen bikes are hard to come buy.

5. jcarpfishman

jcarpfishman New Member

United States
    Map
    For what's it worth, my link pipe has a dent in it from the shock linkage... believe the pipe came from an '87 700 if my memory serves me correctly. I don't believe my linkage gets close enough to actually touch the pipe with it installed on the '86, but it's been a while since I've been in there to inspect.

I also modified my center stand so I can quickly put it on or take it off without having to remove the exhaust system. I wanted to keep it as an option for pulling the rear wheel and working on the bike as I do not have an external rear or front stand.

Note that my center stand modifications were not to accommodate the 4-into-1 Yosh pipe, but more that I had started scraping the center stand in some corners... like the stand, but like a low-side even less!

If you need any pictures of how much 'dent' is needed, I can snag some as the Yosh pipe is currently on the shelf (for now... I have plans for it :loco:).

6. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map

Picture would be awesome! And just to clarify, I don't actually have a center stand. Apparently it was hitting on the attachment for the center stand. I think I'm going to have to put the can on myself as I'm trying to relay info from the guy who worked on it.... I'll try and put it on this weekend and maybe get some pictures of the problem if I can. Thanks for the input so far.. I'll try and update with news.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0328.jpg

With no stand, feel free to grind away whatever part of the mounting points you need for clearance.

8. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Just peeked at the stock exhaust on there and there's a dent from the linkage anyways, looks like I'll be tapping a little dent into the yosh system and hopefully getting it on this weekend. These pea shooters are kinda annoying...

9. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been working on it all morning and so far it's gone ok. Couple of snags. 1. I can't seem to get the pipes on any farther (see pic) but when I put a pipe clamp on I don't feel any exhaust coming out around them. 2. I don't have a way to secure the pipes, so I'm working on using a pipe hanger to attach to the pipe because it ride's a little too low to just bolt on.
    2013-07-13 13.50.08.jpg
    2013-07-13 13.50.25.jpg
    2013-07-13 14.02.37.jpg
    2013-07-13 14.23.46.jpg

10. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I've pretty much hit stand still... I've got everything on as far as I can, and clamped down with pipe clamps. But they don't look to be on the headers all the way, which concerns me a bit. I also haven't figured out a way to clamp the exhaust on as it's an odd size. At this point I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and put the stock exhaust back on?

0714131623.jpg

0714131621a.jpg

0714131621.jpg

11. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    I've NEVER heard of a center stand and a 4-2-1 baffle interfering with each other. I have a Laser 4-2-1 and a center stand, and I can tell ya that the center stand has to come off for that baffle to go on correctly, but to not be able to have them both? That's a first for me. Others have said this already, but if you don't want that center stand anymore, do NOT scrap it. Take the parts and list them up for sale, and I'll guarantee you'll find somebody to pay you a very fair price for it. (And for those wondering, no, I am not willing to sell mine :p )

One thing you'll notice with that 4-2-1 is a flat spot in the torque curve. This is normal, and I haven't heard of a fix or a workaround for the problem yet. Personally, I love my 4-2-1 and I'm more than willing to deal with that flat spot to have the improved sound and performance.