Yet another post about SSS

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by VFR700, Sep 7, 2012.

1. VFR700

VFR700 New Member

Hey, All,

I own a 1986 Honda VFR700. I'm attempting to, as so many have tried, and from the posts I've read only two succeeded, graft a single-sided swingarm from one model to the next. I saw a 87 Honda VFR400 SSS on eBay for sale, all the way over in merry England. I emailed the company for dimensions, length, etc., especially width at the pivot but never received a response. Maybe the Brits aren't so merry? So, does anyone know if this is possible. I read Toecutter's and Blighty's detailed posts but I thought that's way more than I can tackle. The 400 swingarm seems doable and/or affordable, despite the hefty shipping costs from another country. At least I thought having spacers made for alignment "easier" to do than grinding, welding and modifying. Anyone have any insights to add, or measurements, or the usual comment, "leave well enough alone, dumbass, or buy a newer bike," both sage insights and neither I would acknowledge.

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I don't have a clue how you would go about putting a single sided on a 86. But it sure sounds cool. I applaud your willingness to improve your bike. You will be switching over to 17" wheels front and rear I assume. I also assume it has been done before. I would love to see a picture of a finished one.

3. VFR700

VFR700 New Member

Gee, I'll answer my own post...got a response to my VFR400 swing arm question from another forum and now am wondering if anyone on here has dimensions for the OEM 700 swing arm, specifically the width at the pivot point and length. I don't have any metric tools and the measurements I have for the 400 are in mm. No way I'm gonna try and do a piss poor conversion on a guess. Anyone?

4. WetSpot

WetSpot New Member

Map
    400 millimetres = 15.7480315 inches

5. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Go buy some cheap metric tools from eBay. - Move into the 21st Century, FFS.