Yet another newbie here!!! 1985 VF700F?'s......

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by SETI III, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SETI III

SETI III New Member

Hello all new to the forum! Just got my first bike ever, a 1985 Honda VF700F Interceptor. She runs and rides, but needs some TLC. My question is I found a complete parts bike with good plastics etc for $200. It's a 86 VF700F. Are the parts interchangeable like brake rotors, gauge cluster, etc? I'd like to know before I buy the parts bike. From reading this forum I understand that parts are sometimes hard to find for these bikes so it's always good to have a parts bike around. Also, where are you folks getting your tune-up parts from like plug wires and what not? I take my basic riders course this weekend to get my permit. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated...........

2. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

Man they didn't make "F" models in '86 except in the 500. If it's an '86 700 it would be a VFR700 and some of the parts would interchange but not all of them. Someone with more knowledge on what would and what wouldn't will surely chime in.

I would buy it for $200 if the plastics are in good shape. The plastics would be worth more than that alone in good condition. You would get enough interchangeable spare parts also to make it justifiable.

3. SETI III

SETI III New Member

I'm sure they misprinted it and it's a VFR, and I could probably talk them down to $100.

4. rpierce

rpierce New Member

If it is indeed a 1986 then it's going to do you no good no matter how cheap it is. You can use pretty much any parts from the VF750F's and VF700F's of 83-85 for your bike. Anything after 1985 is the next gen and you'll be in trouble if you want parts to match.

5. SETI III

SETI III New Member

OK so that VFR is out. What about 750 and 500's? Are they interchangeable with my bike? For instance, I need an ignition cover and there's one on Ebay from a 84 VF500 for $5. Would that work for my bike or is it different? Also are the brake rotors interchangeable between the 500 700 750's? I need a rear rotor and I found em brand new for $148(OUCH!) online.

6. rpierce

rpierce New Member

I don't really know much about the 500's but I'm pretty sure that parts from it are a no-go.
    The 700's and 750's are literally the exact same bike save for some engine detuning and whatever small changes they made in the few years they were made so they are the sure thing.
    If I'm not mistaken the 1000cc engines are built with the same engine but is a significantly bigger bore and uses a different jacket system. (So most internal engine parts you couldn't use. External you might be able to use some)

7. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

You can cross reference part numbers on bikebandit.com to see if things are interchangeable between models and years.

Where is that parts bike located? If it indeed has good plastics and a good tank it is worth every bit of $100! IMHO buying that is a no brainer! You never know when you might come across a good engine for it. Also you could part it out and make a good chunk of change off the plastics and tank alone.

8. SETI III

SETI III New Member

Thanks for sending in the bikebandit direction for cross referencing parts. The parts bike's in Grass Valley, CA on Sacramento craigslist. Where are you folks getting your tune up parts from? Online, Kragen?

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Tune up ??

That's plugs, air and fuel filters mostly, all easy to find. As for plug wires, you most likely don't need them since Honda used extra-high quality originals and most are still working fine even after 24+ years.