Yet Another Charging Issue Thread

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by KizerSosay, Jan 8, 2016.

1. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    Sorry duplicate post under mechanics section

Sorry this was a duplicate post.
    See "Diagnose my charging problem" in mechanics Garage forum.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. NormK

NormK New Member

Got nothing to loose, should have soldered the wires when you replaced the R/R. Seeing you say the stator tests good I assume you have a multimeter If so best thing you can do is "the drill" post #9 in particular, this will tell you exactly what is going on

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I believe stator failures arise from a burned wire so I doubt you'd get an intermittent fault from that, it will either work on all three phases or it won't.

If you have a good stator and RR but the battery won't charge then the most likely culprit IS the stator/RR connector. Cutting this out and soldering the joint is a common fix. My 99 has 50k miles and charges fine, and I have an onboard voltmeter to keep an eye on things, but I was surprised to discover just how hot that connector is getting (like way too hot too hold). Mine is also discoloured and I have separated it and sprayed contact cleaner at the pins, but I plan to cut it out and solder the wires. In my case, heat=resistance, not a good thing for conductors.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    U need to pull the plug on the starter relay and inspect the bottom for signs of melting or burning, which will reduce or eliminate charging.