Year of engine and CC ? (pic)

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by HAFRODD, Aug 1, 2018.

1. HAFRODD

HAFRODD New Member

United States
    Map
    Guys, I got this engine on trade. I have $100 in it. He said the bike was crashed hard in front. He said it's from an 80s era 700 Interceptor. Can anyone tell by the pics the possible year and if it looks to be a 700cc engine? I know my 1984 700 Interceptor engine looks a bit different as far as bronze colors on pieces. Are the parts even interchangeable to my 84? I mainly needed the carbs but he said the engine is really low miles and it's been in his possession for about 20 years. I'm wondering about using this engine. Was the cam oiling issue fixed by this year of engine? Assuming it is newer. Basically, what should I do? My 84 Interceptor engine was out when I bought the bike in pieces and it shows over 20,000 miles. The case has been split because orange RTV silicone is between the case halves. Honestly, I'm afraid of it.

20180801_165649_resized.jpg 20180801_165657_resized.jpg

2. HAFRODD

HAFRODD New Member

United States
    Map
    So I have been looking at images of Interceptor engines and I now believe this engine is 1986 or 1987. I would love to use it in my 84 but looks like the frame was redesigned. I am pretty good at welding and fabrication. Should I go through the trouble of transplanting? I'm pretty much building the bike for myself and do not care about hurting the value. Has anyone ever transplanted this newer engine to an 83-85?

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yes that engine is from the VFR700F, RC24, 86-87. 699cc to duck under the 700cc tariff introduced to protect H-D. The engine is basically the same as the 750 from the same years, but with a different crank (shorter throw) and rods (longer to make up for the crank), and probably final gearing. These are an over-engineered engine to put to rest the demons of the earlier VF750F (which had some reputation for camchain tensioner failure and cam/follower wear); this one has gear drive for the cams, and individual lightweight finger followers for the valves.

4. HAFRODD

HAFRODD New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you Terry for the info. So this engine I should probably use.

5. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    What is the engine number?

I had thought that the bronze cases were only found (in the US) on 1986 VFR models and the RC24 was the 750 and the RC26 was the 700?

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    OK that was even more detail than I offered, I bow to your superior knowledge Samuel. Has been a few years since I owned one of these...
    [​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  7. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Neg Terry, you gave way more info! I had a RWB 86 700 with bronze cases and a Blue 87 700 with black cases (neither of them was as clean as yours!) and like you said, it's been a long time since then so I was asking because I wasn't sure... :)

8. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I owned two of these 86-model US-market 700's from new back in the day (87-89), plus a local market 86 750 (to 1996). I'm not quite as young as I once was! Still have an affliction for V-shaped Hondas however.
    [​IMG]

Samuel likes this.
  9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Imitation (fake) goldish sandcast covers are found only 0n '86 r/w/b 700/750's. and they're not that durable as any gas leak from the carbs or fuel lines will destroy the coating.

10. HAFRODD

HAFRODD New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok guys. Last night I pulled the plugs and shot some oil into the cylinders. I also removed the upper air box to find the inside very clean. Was basically checking to make sure nothing was going to get sucked into the cylinders. I jumped the starter and it turned over nicely. I just let it turn over maybe 3 seconds. I noticed oil coming out of one of the two ports on front of engine. Is this for an external oil cooler? Looks like the oil only come from one of the ports. I called the guy I got the engine from to see if he had the lines and he said no. Oil cooler?

20180801_201146_1533213832830_resized.jpg

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oil cooler lines. If there is a sensor wire coming out of the back of the front cylinder bank, it has to be 86. Which as discussed here, is 99.9% sure that's what it is.

Oh, one other difference between the 700 - 750, is the 700 uses higher dome pistons. So the trick in the day was to install 700 pistons in the 750 motor and get a nice compression ratio bump.