yea a new motor! what is it?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by steven113, Sep 3, 2009.

1. steven113

steven113 New Member

I came across a great deal on a low milage 5th gen 1998 motor to keep as a replacement/backup motor for my bike before they become more difficult to come by. The seller did not know if it was a cali bike or otherwise. The motor comes with everything except the ecm so as a backup I am not too concerned if it is a california motor or not, however I still need to know if it is or is not to know if I will need a new ecm or cams...

Is there any markings on the motor itself or differences in the harness to tell if it is a california model?

Thanks in advance
    Steven

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm guessing ----- I have a '98 Ca model and from what I can tell the main differences are in the emissions equipment. I did hear that the cams are a tick different but that is minor. If you have a 49 state bike, and needed to install the Ca motor, I think mostly I would desmog the thing and install from there or take the injectors from the 49 state bike. (My Ca bike was super ez to get to mimic a 49 state bike setup.)

I guess the point is, the differences are minor and a swap shouldnt be all that difficult as long as you have a manual. Cant really help on the markings question.

MD

3. steven113

steven113 New Member

Thanks mello! I believe that there may be different cams in the cali motor or maybe they are just set differently addvanced/retarded or there may be no difference at all but I am not sure. The only reason I even thought of the potential problem is because the motor is being shiped from cali. If anyone has some insight as to internal differences between the two feel free to speak up.

Thanks again