Would you say this is a fair price??

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by jay-d, May 7, 2011.

1. jay-d

jay-d New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys,

Just about getting ready to purchase a VFR, finally after a few years!

I'm in Toronto and there's two bikes that I'm looking at.

1. 2006 Interceptor w/ABS 5,400km. Second owner, comes with hard luggage. $8400

2. 2007 Interceptor w/ABS 1,700km. First owner, comes with helmet, jacket. $8500

Really low kms on both, I'm leaning towards the 1st one.

It's hard to compare prices to the US, though I wish I could.. but would you say for this time around this is a fair price?

Thanks!

2. CDLVancouver

CDLVancouver New Member

comparing those two id go for the 1st one too...hard bags cost a lot. and its still under 6000km so still brand new. guess it comes down to if you like the colour and how the tires are and if there are any major scratches. id try and knock them down a bit...but theyre not out of range, just seem to be at the higher end of the range.
    for comparison ive also been looking here in van, and have found a couple 2007`s (one with only 800kms on it) for 7000-8000k. but theyre both white and im not a fan of white. found an 05 w abs for 5500, and its red, but really high km`s. going to look at it today. found an 07 rwb with 20k km on it and they want 8000 for it plus 12% tax. i thought that was too high, given that they imported it from the us and probably paid 5500 for it.

3. jay-d

jay-d New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the response! The bike's all black with grey rims which I'm not too crazy about but that's ok.

Hopefully he's a little flexible on the price, if not then I guess I'll keep on looking!

4. CDLVancouver

CDLVancouver New Member

i think for those two you mention the price should be in the mid to high 7`s, with high 7 for the one with the side bags.
    the black is nice....i had an 06 with the black pearl. really liked it. only like silver or rwb as much or better. i can live with red. cant do white.

5. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Both those bikes have been severely neglected :(. It your duty to rescue one of them and ride the hell out of it!!!! BTW mine was the same, 06 2 owners with 5000kms, a season layer she has 24K lol.

Seriously I'd go with the one with Bags, I'm kicking myself for not doing that when I got mine. Finding used bags cheaply isn't easy and you need to be able to snap them up fast when you do find them or they're gone. Or you can easily flip the bags and hardware for $500+

Reasonably Lowball the guy, the worse that will happen is he'll say no. And judging my my experience selling things on kijiji he's got an email box full off weird trade offers and "I'll give you 5K and pick it up today" sort of things.

BTW have you looked in the States? Importing a VFR isn't that hard to do if you can't find the colour/options you want up here.

6. jay-d

jay-d New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the advice guys! I decided to go with the first one (with the bags.) The seller was great, he rode the bike out to me, talked for a good hour, it's in immaculate condition and I couldn't pass it up!

Being the beginning of the season, and he had a lot of offers because he was getting phone calls while I was checking the bike out. We settled for $8000 and I couldn't be happier! He had to call a bunch of guys to tell them it was sold.. thankfully I was the first one that emailed him since he put the ad up. The motorcycle gods were definitely on my side :cool:

He's also including soft luggage as well, a bike cover and a heavy duty disc lock. I might have spent a couple hundred more than what the going rate is, but straight up guy and really honest so I don't mind!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    For the sake of argument CDL, if they are white, they are either and 06 or an 09 but so what. I was not struck on white either but my options were black and red. I loved the black but was not prepared to baby the paint on it. And I don't care for Honda red.

But JD, If I had to do it all over again, when I bought mine, I would have gotten the factory bags too. Right now I use Cortech Softies but would rather have the hard.

I was going to comment that buying one from an original owner is far better than a second owner as you can better track it's maintenance, but at that low mileage, I really don't think this would be an issue unless the bike was SEVERELY abused. And it would show some signs if it were.

But I think you should be able to bring those prices down a bit. I know it is low mileage, but they are four and five years old now.

Loose the original tires at that age and get something newer.

Welcome BTW to this digital arena of insanity.

8. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Great!
    Congratulations!
    Now, forget what you paid for it and go ride it.
    Once you make a purchase, there is no reason to go back and check prices.
    You were happy with the bike, you were happy with the price.
    That's all that is important.

9. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Do your self a huge favour. If your gonna use the disc lock throw a cord on it to loop over your ignition or handle bar so you never try and take off with the lock still on. Don't laugh, quite a few have done it and dumped their bike in short order.

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    And of course you only read and heard about this? Haven't used my disc lock for a long time but yes. It came with a very bright orange cord for just that purpose. I looped mine over the throttle grip. I learned from others errors that way.

11. jay-d

jay-d New Member

Canada
    Map
    For sure, I'm looking into the PR2's or the PR3's depending on the review.. but I'm leaning towards the Conti Road Attack 2's.. I had the first gen and I absolutely loved them!

Very smart, thanks.. I will get one!