Won't start - HELP NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dunkymunky, Jul 5, 2015.

1. dunkymunky

dunkymunky New Member

United Kingdom
    First of all, thanks for reading. Will lay down some history of what I've done, then hopefully someone can help me out with ideas as to why my bike wont start

Bike was bought a few months ago, rode all the way home (about 40 miles) without missing a beat. I knew it needed a new battery and starter clutch, which were duly done.

I also swapped the rear subframe with a VFR I already had, no wiring changes, just the subframe.

The engine had a filter, plug, oil and air filter change.

Put it all back together, bike would crank for ever but would not start.

Went over all the electrical connectors, sprayed with contact cleaner and checked for broken wires. Did not find anything. Took the kill switch apart to check, everything was fine. Swapped all electrical componenets - CDI, Reg/Rec, starter solenoid from my other VFR which is running, still wouldn't start. Checked the plugs. Didn't have spark in cylinder 1. Eventually traced that back to the starter clutch - Ifound that one of the 'bumps' had been flattened, god knows how or why, I should have checked it properly before I put it on. I've managed to bend it back out.

I now have good dpark in all 4 plugs. Fuel pump is pumping fuel. I have no reason to suspect the carbs are fully clogged as spark plugs come out wet after cranking, and as mentioned, bike was running fine before fettling.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by this - I only bought the bike to fix the starter clutch and sell on, and its taking over all my time and my garage space. Today I even resorted to pouring a little bit of fuel down teh carbs, not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I did it anyway.

Please see the video below of what's happening, hopefully it will give you an idea of how to help.

Many thanks

[video=youtube;3wWhZ9reRVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWhZ9reRVo[/video]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. NormK

NormK New Member

What was the starter clutch off?

3. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds like you have the plugs in the wrong firing order. It's firing on the intake stroke. Front bank of cylinders are 2 on left 4 on right, Back cylinders are 1 on left 3 on right. If you unplugged the coils you could have switched then so their firing on the wrong bank.