wiring repair after attempted theft

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by AT, May 28, 2004.

1. AT

AT New Member

???Some bad people tried to steal my bike, but they couldn't because I had rotor locks on the wheels. This must have pissed them off cause they cut the ignition wires from the ignition assembly to the dash. I stripped them and twisted them back together, covered them with tape and the bike ran. Later when I wanted to make a more permanent repair with soulder and heat shrink insulation the red wire got away from me and touched the fork frame and sparked. After the repairs were done the bike won't turn over, no lights come on, it is basically completely DEAD!
    yes, the battery is hot, and no I didn't disconnect it like I should have when doing electrical repairs. Also NONE of the fuses were blown. What's up with this?

2. bear

bear New Member

Map
    There is a main fuse as well isn't there? Not in the fuse panel, but just off to the side of it on my 99.

3. AT

AT New Member

Yeah I checked all the fuses. With volt meter all tested good. Im pretty sure the fuse is the 30amp fuse near the small black fuse box. Unless thier is another fuse I can find pretty got most of them checked. I have replaced 2 RR on my bike. Clock stayed "on" wrong time but remained "on". Now nothing no clock nothing on the bike. Does anyone know of fuses or relays I need to check?

4. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Hello,
    I just went threw checking my whole bike.....
    I know it sucks but you have to unplug everything and check them one at a time would first check the R/R...
    Even doing that it can not be 100 %.....
    What year is the Bike?
    You have no power at all besides the clock?
    There is a relay for about everything and there is an easy test to check.
    I have the manual I can scan some pages if you need them.
    Also goto to AZmotorsports ...I think that's right ....
    They have blow -ups showing where relays are located.
    What happen to me was the RR failed and cooked my whole system...

Computer failed .....its easier then you think to cook the system...Dont count on a dealer to help.
    If you take your time you can find out what's going on.
    FYI ...98 99 VFR 's have a different computer then 2000 01

ALso I did something real @#$@#....the push in clips come out real easy ...you have to pop the center in...
    I just thought they had to pull out.

Good Luck...

Vfrsteve

5. AT

AT New Member

Hey steve. I have no power on the bike. The battery is "hot",but nothing when you turn the key on.

No red FI or headlamp indicator.

I could use you any help with wire diagrams. Anything you have would be great. You can email to at1932@yahoo.com. If it is the r/r what should be the reading when I put the volmeter on it? I thought the bike would have to be running to get a reading. Any help I will take. Its a VFR 98 with about 17k on it. I could use the help in locating all the relays and fuses just in case I missed one or two.

I will check AZ motors. for relays and wires system

could you tell me a little more about the computer on the bike? Like location and what it look likes. Thanks steve. Also what it takes to replace the computer if that is what controls everything.

AT

6. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Hello,
    I will try to help out as best I can...

First thing to do is Test the battery.
    Take the wires off and do a volts test.

Its not as hard as you think it just takes time.
    What I found best is if you have an area to work in take the time to remove the side plastic...its not that hard its just when you do it the first couple of times
    its all new. I can strip all the plastic in 20 min's...the first time took a few hours.

Put it this way ..I didn't even have a clue where the fuse box was....shame on me.
    The RR can be tested off the Bike......you have to remove the rear seat and plastic.

I will send you an e-mail ....in my area the dealer charges $70.00 plus an hour. Advice get to know your bike if you plan to keep it.
    After all said and done you will feel much better riding because you have a clue what to look for if something goes wrong.
    FYI....
    I also just joined the Honda club....for $40.00 ....you get free towing...I feel allot better knowing I have a choice to get help if I'm stuck somewhere.

7. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Re: wiring repair after attempted theft's...

THe computer is located under the back seat...two plastic pins and a black cover comes out in two sec's....
    There is no clear way to test it....

8. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

Just looking at the wiring diag, have you checked the fuse in the starter relay. this is the main fuse the main supply to the bike apart from the clock. It's located just forward and to the left of the main fuse box. You have to remove a conector to get at it. I'm pretty sure that is your problem. If you want a wiring diag, let me have your email and I'll scan my Haynes manual and send it to you.

All the best

Ian

9. AT

AT New Member

Hey Ian any help you would send my way would be great. Any information of wire dia. would be great. VFR steve send me some good infor. I have not had a chance to get back to my bike. My email is at1932@yahoo.com. I hope it is that "main fuse" My bike is parked else where for the time being. I will look at the bike asap. I will double check all the fuses.

thanks again
    AT

10. AT

AT New Member

Hey guys just wanted to send a quick thank you note. Thanks for the wire diagrams. Helped a great deal. Got the main fuse located and found it was my problem. So back on 2 wheels. Thanks again for the help and advice

AT ;D ;D ;D

11. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Super cool.... ;D

12. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

Glad to be of help

Ian :D