Winterizing...

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by VFR55, Oct 6, 2013.

1. VFR55

VFR55 New Member

I was wondering what you guys recommend for Winterizing over the winter?
    I live in Canada (can get as low as -40) and my bike will be in a garage that is insulated but not heated.
    What maintenance things should I do to protect it for the 5 months I won't be riding it?
    Should I just leave it as is and start it up and run it every once in a while.....?
    Thanks for the help, again.

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    My suggestion:

Remove battery and bring inside. Maybe charge every couple of months.
    Change oil and lube chain.
    Clean bike and do all of those other little maint. things.
    Put Fogging oil in the cylinders if you want but since it's in a garage it probably won't matter.
    Fill the tank full if gas and fuel stabalizer to keep rust out of the tank.
    Drain carburetors (if you have carbs)

Starting and letting bike idle in the garage from time to time is probably the worst thing you can do.

3. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    I was wondering about that too as this is my 2nd bike after a long break. And my 1st fuel injected VFR. I guess an oil change & maybe a coolant flush, fuel stabilizer, battery tender. Anything must be done to protect the injectors when storing ?

4. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Put the fuel stabalizer in before your last ride so it's in the fuel that's in the lines and injectors and then after you park it fill the tank to to the top.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi from the other side of the pond.

I wondered how long it would be before this one would appear?

Certainly over in Europe the owners handbook contains a section explaining what to do if you intend storing the bike. I guess the big issue is to check the antifreeze is up to strength, and remove the battery - take it indoors and every 6-8 weeks put it on a proper motorbike battery tender just to keep the charge topped up. No need to run the charger continuously if the battery is stored indoors. I doubt we get anywhere near as deep cold as you - typically anything below -30 is exceptional but even so, another factor is how long the bike is going to be out of action. Typically mine only gets stored from November to early April, and for that short period I have never bothered with (or indeed encountered problems from) draining the fuel system let alone adding stabiliser.

However I do make sure before storage the tank is topped with good quality high octane fuel 98 rather than 95 I use normally. That way if the quality falls a bit during storage, it should still be good to go in Spring. It has worked for me every year with the bike firing up first time I hook the battery up in Spring. But I doubt the actual garage temperature gets much below -10.

Other than that, remember the basics - inflate tyre(tire) pressures to spec and then place bike on centre stand and use wooden chocks to lift the front wheel just clear of the ground - so no flat spots in Spring. Some things can rust during storage so a good application of ACF50 or equivalent is wise - even if it does mean the first time your fire it up in Spring you will create a fair bit of smoke as any which gets on the exhaust burns off. Just remember to clean and dry any brake rotors before you set off again. I tend to put the bike covers on during storage mainly to keep dust off but that and covering the bike with blankets might add extra protection in a more extreme climate.

With luck, some of the Canadian owners will be along with more specific advice on what makes sense. Sadly we have already had our first snowfalls, and I have just prepared the garage for winter. By next weekend temperatures are forecast to plummet and snow is expected, and sadly that may call an end to the riding season for me.

Take care

SkiMad

6. VFR55

VFR55 New Member

Thanks for your help.

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    All good ideas.

Battery tender. Chain lube. Give it an oil change. Fuel stabilizer is key. And a double dose won't hurt. Storing with a higher octane is a good idea (as mentioned), since fuel can definitely lose a bit of its octane rating over periods of storage. Give her a wash and a wax too.

I surround my bike with 4 or 5 mousetraps as well. Them little critters love crawling up into the airbox over the winter.

I also put my bike on the center stand which keeps the rear tire off the cold floor. Since I'm too cheap to buy a stand for the front, I've cut a couple of pieces of wood to length, notched them out to fit over the axle nut, and then I raise the front tire to keep that off the floor without having the back touch. Not sure if it works, but the idea is to keep flat spots off the tires.

8. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    My garage never gets below about 40F so I just put Sta-bil in the tank and leave the batter on the tender.

For 5 months I would consider a cover to keep the bulk of the dust off the thing as well. I need to do that with my bikes. They get very dusty if they sit for a couple of months.

I have never lifted the tires off the ground. We removed the center stand from the Ninja 500 due to dragging it in corners. Never had an issue with flat spots (yet).

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    As long as the tires stay up to pressure, you should be OK. Only other thing I've done is park it on old rugs to help cushion the hard floor. I'm on the fence about gas stabilizer, as the last many year I didn't, as long as there is good gas in it that shouldn't be an issue. Pull the battery out, give it a good charge (unless it's gel, then you need the special charge for it) and keep it warm.

10. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map

I keep my garage around 65 and it never goes below 50 so I pretty much do the same thing. Fill the tank with some stabil and keep up with the batteries. In all honesty, last few winters I have been starting and completely warming up my bike a couple of times through the winter just to keep things fresh. I have done it both ways and never have had an issue in 28 years of riding. Stabil, topping off the tank and battery tender are the most important things for sure. Oh and when I have had carbs, I drain the float bowls before storage.

11. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    My garage gets down around 0 Celsius in the coldest parts of the winter, but I use the same routine and it's worked fine for the past 5yrs. Stabil, float charger, start it every month. It also helps that I stop riding for as short a time as possible. If there's no ice or salt on the roads, I'm out there.

12. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

I just ride year round. I love the south...

13. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

U can get by with just removing the battery and charging it every couple of months. and getting some high octain gas. Hess has 103 up in the north. I would look for that high or higher.

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    STUFF A RAG INNIT !!

Your exhaust. :nelson:

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Maintaining your battery properly cannot be understated. It must be kept with a full or near full charge in areas where the temp dips below freezing. Keep it charged, and it will be fine in the spring. Let it die, and it will freeze, then never properly hold a charge again.

The problem with starting your bike up and running it for a while every so often, is the exhaust system does not heat up. We tend to run it for a far too short of a time. This results in condensation building up repeatedly in your bike, mostly exhaust, and rusting through. So ya, leave that alone unless you fire it up and go for a long ride which I doubt you will do in most of Canada, unless you live near me and do not squat to pee.

There is no need to cover your bike if you are keeping it in a garage. I have never been a supporter of covering bikes for a long period of time. You risk moisture building up under that tarp and having this work against parts on your bike. I do cover mine only while I am working with the woodworking tools. Only to keep the dust off. Then remove within a few days. I don't cover my RV either for pretty much the same reason. Moisture gets trapped underneath and does more damage that the tarp prevents.

As far as what should be done, I can't advise. I ride mine through the winter, although last winter it did not get ridden much. Hope to make a change that way this winter.

winter ride.jpg

16. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok is this one of those trick pictures that you stare at and something appears.... I see tires, and an exhaust... I give up what is it???

And what is this winterizing that you speak of.... :funky:

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    when are we going to get that asshole button here?

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I winterize my bikes by riding them on the good days we get every winter here in north Texas. To all you guy in the snowy north you have my sincerer sympathy. We put up with 111 degree summer rides to get some beautiful dead of winter pleasant days. You Brits also have my sympathy as well. It seems that bikes just rust away to nothing there if not properly dipped in preservative. That's another thing about living here, we may have bug you can ride but our bikes and cars never rust out.

19. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Fair comment Big Jim :thumbsup: - the Street Triple is now well coated in ACF50 and ready for its winter slumber. Looking out the window it looks like the VFR is today's project as I won't be riding it this weekend after all! But I can't really complain as I am one Brit lucky enough to live most year in the Alps, and running a ski-lodge is mostly fun and it won't be long before they open a few ski-lifts for the locals...

Yesterday:rain:
    yesterday.jpg

Today:smow:
    today.jpg

Tomorrow ?

SkiMad

20. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    See, now that's how to spend a winter.... You sir, have a cool (w/ and without pun intended) job. Running a ski resort. Only job that I think would be better is being the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Team, Bikini helper.:boobies4: