Why So Hot On the Right?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by dhinson66, May 29, 2017.

1. dhinson66

dhinson66 New Member

United States
    Map
    Have a 1998 VFR w/ roughly 33,000 miles-have noticed from day 1 I only feel heat coming off the right side of the bike. Is this some design quirk of this bike? It has been this way since I bought it. It doesn't overheat, the fans come on as they are supposed to, but I've noticed the past year the faint smell of coolant when I stop the bike, particularly after a hard ride. The coolant level is ok and there is no fluid visible leaking. These 2 things are probably unrelated since the right leg cooking phenomenon is ongoing-the smell of coolant is relatively new. Any ideas?

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    cooling.jpg
    As you can see in the diagram, the flow from the engine goes to the radiator cap area on the right, then down through the two radiators, then out the bottom and back to the pump. I certainly notice on my own bike the right radiator gets hot before the left, but can't say notice any heat difference when riding. Stationary, if the fan comes on it pulls air in from the left, so you would notice more heat rising out from the right side.

I had some coolant leakage from the hoses around the thermostat, occasionally I would see some white baked on drips on the rear headers under the clutch cover. It was very obvious if I directed water into the V that it would come out quite green. If you fit new hoses, also fit a new thermostat at the same time.

3. dhinson66

dhinson66 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks-that makes sense. Maybe because the hottest fluid is coming right beside my right leg into the right radiator before it's cooled explains it but I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed this.

4. MrDimmu

MrDimmu New Member

United Kingdom
    I was riding traffic/slow the other day and i put it down to how my exhaust is as it comes up and towards the right and near my leg, but now i may have to investigate a little bit more