Who owns a gen 8 after having previous gens?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by hank.sd, Oct 4, 2015.

1. hank.sd

hank.sd New Member

United States
    Map
    I put many miles on a gen 1 (86 700), and bought a brand new Gen 4 (94) back in the day. Loved them both. Recently came across a real good buy on a Gen 5, and riding it, it just feels like "home". I absolutely love it and I remember why I loved my earlier ones so much.

I've also ridden a buddy's 02 gen 6 a fair amount, and while its a sweet bike, I'm not a fan of the huge VTEC transition, or the complexity of the VTEC, but that's a lesser concern.

I'm now contemplating a gen 8.. really good deals can be had on carry over '14 DLX models (under 10K).
    Anyone owned and/or ridden a few previous gens? How does the gen 8 stack up?

I'd probably be perfectly happy riding the 98, but it is 17 years old and it won't be long until parts availability problems crop up. Plus a shiny new bike sounds fun :)

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's funny, I went the opposite direction. I bought my 6 Gen and had that for a year or two and decided I wanted another VFR just for play, so I sought out a 5 Gen! I also contemplated grabbing an 8 Gen to replace my 6 Gen but since it's still an infant (@40k miles) I figured I would wait on it. From what I have read, the motor of the 8 Gen is the same as the 6 Gen, internally that is, just different ECU/VTEC transitions timing changes. Of course someone who actually owed and owns a 6 and 8 Gen can confirm the differences for sure.

Although I really love both my VFRs, I like riding the 5 Gen a little more when it comes to sport riding. It just feels a bit more nimble and at home in the twisty stuff. If it's possible to own more than one bike for you, maybe keep the 5 Gen for fun and get the 8 Gen for long term peace of mind.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    After my divorce and the beginning of my retirement, I bought an 2003. I still had my '83 in storage, but it needed a lot of work after 25 years. Last Dec I traded the 6th gen for a deal on a slightly used 8th gen Deluxe. I liked the 6th gen, but it was 12 years old and I wanted something that would last me another 12 years. The new bike is fantastic, a lot more confidence. If you can get a good deal, go for it.

BTW, just got the 83 finished and took it to work yesterday! Big difference, both are fun.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That's good question. me being one that has had a few VFRs, figure why not chime in. I love the v4 honda has put together starting with the VF series, I had a 83 sabre then a 86 vfr 700 then a Vf1000 it was when the 4th gen came out I had a surprise. I was sold on my vf1k, but finally when an offer came up to try the 4th gen, but I had it in my mind how can a 750 be better than a 1000, Oh my never again will I make that mistake. I bought one new in 96, then another 97, so for like from 1996 to 2010 it was the bike. I'd tried the 5th but for the money difference it wasn't worth it, then the 6th came out..na, my 4th was just fine. Fast forward to the deer incident, which left me off a bike for a while, it was when the 014 came out I thought long and hard about getting back in the saddle, but man for the money it's biggest revival was the 5th, but I did get the opportunity to take one for a decent spin.. I tell ya, thats one Very Fine Ride! but again money??? so kinda backed off. It wasn't till of late a 5th gen landed in my lap.. :) so from that it's been a hoot, when again looking at it from $$$ it's a way better bargain, but like you said it's 17 years old, but it's still a great bike, so until it shows signs of trouble I'm not in a hurry to move from it. All though, yes the 8th gen is a sweet bike, I like it, if it wasn't for the $$ I'd probably have one, yet there's something about making what I have more mine. So in answering your question if you can get a great deal, and you're not one to mod or upgrade what you have, then by all means move on to a 8th. They've drop the one I rode last year to $9900

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    San Francisco Craigs List today:
    2500 bike ads
    867 Hondas
    11 VFR's 1986-2007
    2 new 8th gen at dealers

6. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    I had a 5th Gen that I loved dearly and was sad to see it written off after a bingle. My next daily ride was a 6th Gen that I had for 7 years, great bike but just never had the passion/rocket-ship feel that my 5th-G inspired.

I've had my 8th Gen now since February, and I've loved every minute of it;- all the tech it comes with is great, but best of all it brings me that indescribable feeling of joy every ride that my 5th had but 6th lacked.

Definitely worth the trade-up!!

7. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    5th, 6th and now 8th. When I bought the 6th gen I said everything about it was better except the engine which was just different with the addition of VTEC. Now I have the 8th I've said it does everything the 6th did but is smaller, lighter, better-looking (subjective!) has more gadgets and uses less gas. I'm glad I got one but I still miss the gear-cam engine sometimes.

VFRs.jpg

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sweet! I definitely recognize some of those roads and scenery! Been through those mountains and on those roads many times, a few of those corners and views of the Pacific Ocean have been etched into my memory.

It's funny how far off the VFR has been taken from its roots, from circuit racer and championship winner, to award winning "best of" awards, to a moderate street bike that seems to only appeal to the die hard V4 fans. I would love to see it back on top like its early predecessors! The RC213V-S isn't the answer to that either, way too expensive for the "common man"!

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Fooking rumble strips, makes passing in corners a little too interesting at times.

11. hank.sd

hank.sd New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the opinions etc. Now I just gotta see if it makes sense. I'm sure I'd love the bike.

12. hank.sd

hank.sd New Member

United States
    Map
    That was also a nice promo video. Makes a guy want to run right out and buy one!

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    After couple shakedown rides, I took my 1st gen out today on a couple of twisty roads, I could not believe how well the old girl handled! Had no problem with corners or confidence. Same basic speeds I take them with the 8th gen! Granted I am not a real fast rider, but I do OK.
    [​IMG]

Redwood Reserve - Pinehurst Road

14. hank.sd

hank.sd New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool old VF! A couple years ago I bought a pair of 83s.. like 11 serial numbers apart. One looked like that (it was a 10!) and the other was about an 8.

15. hank.sd

hank.sd New Member

United States
    Map
    This was the sweeter of the two. Wish I had more storage space so I could have kept it.

[​IMG]

16. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    if I could have gotten the crud out of tank, mine would still look like that.

I am fortunate to own both the first and the last V4 Interceptors!

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    For anyone looking for a deal on a 014 standard, there's a red one in Olympia Wa. they just got it in. $9900.00 that ain't too bad.

18. macscuddle

macscuddle New Member

That video makes you wonder how they didn't sell a bazillion... Would have sold me, if I didn't already have one...lol

19. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Went from a Candy Red 07 to a basic red 14 after the accident.

20. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    I would love to have an 8th. Maybe if I panhandled with a big pic of the bike on my sign, passers by would take pity on me.