Which Vfr To Get? Vfr800 Or Vfr1200

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Flynpenguin, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Flynpenguin

Flynpenguin New Member

I need some assistance; I am in the middle of determining which bike I should get. Here are the two options; 2003 VFR800, 10k miles for only $5500 (Ferrari 360 modena painted red) or a 2010 VFR 1200 for $8500 (13k miles). The $8500 is the asking price of a dealer on ebay in Mississippi, wit $500 to transport to CA. I was going to offer $8000 out the door, but for discussion sake, let’s call it $8500. The 2003 is from a confirmed Honda service manager, which has done a complete front-in upgrade to inverted forks and brembo brakes. Outside of that raised handlebars, everything else is stock. The 2010 is completely stock. My dilemma, which one to get? I have seen the modification that our members “TiN” has done to his 1200 and I am amazed at the potential of what the bike could look like.

My back ground is a year of riding experience on my 1996 GSXR 1100W. I have been convinced that a newer VFR800 will simply blow me away for the purpose of commuting 65 miles daily from home to work. My old gixxer is a tank and with the new technology and Honda bomb proof V4 engine, I will be totally convinced and kick myself for not making the switch long ago.
    VFR800 Photos Completion 021.jpg

Here is the picture of the 2003. It is immaculate. Bascially, i want to change out the exhaust to the two brother dual carbon M2 system, power map and corbin seat.. After that, ride the hell out of it..

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I think this is going to come down to money personally. If I had a lot, and I mean a lot, of cash I didn't know what to do with, I would go for the 7th gen. Every aftermarket item for that bike is expensive. The aftermarket is far larger for the 6th gen.

That being said, if I were going to get a 6th gen, I would want a 2006 or newer. Thats when all the bugs were worked out. Electric improvements and the VTEC engagement refinement being the biggies.

3. Guj

Guj New Member

My opinion:

The 7th gen. is ugly. I'm sure it is a fantastic bike, but I cant get past the looks.

(I'm bike shallow....)

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think you are not going to find agreement here. They are two really different bikes. The debate will be much like what took place when the 6th gen came out and everyone hated it. Mine is a 6th gen and was subject to 100 mile round trip commutes for several years until retirement. Year round in all weather. Now that it had over 100,000 miles on it, very little work other than what most would call maintenance, it is still running as strong as could be. I used a little over 1/2 tank of fuel per day for this 100 mile commute but there was probably 60% freeway driving and I tend to be a little crampy with the right hand on the throttle.

5. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    The 800 without a doubt. I would never by a bike unseen. Not to mention it has to be one of the fugliest looking bikes out there. The 800 has probably been well taken care of especially since he went through all the trouble of putting the upside down forks on. Has there been anything done to the shock? You could always be patient and look for a newer 800. I dont know if there are anymore leftover new 800s because for 8500 you could just about pick up a new 800? Like i said though all the leftovers are probably gone by now. Whatever you do though dont buy a bike unseen. Even if your determined to get that ugly 1200 find one locally that you can look over yourself and test ride if they will let you. Good luck and did i mention that 1200 is ugly

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I think they both have issues. Why was the 800 painted? I'd be all over that. Not just that, but the asking price is way high.

The 1200 seems high as well. Not just that but if you're going to spend that much money, get a 2012 as the 2010 did have issues and I've read that the 2012 has got some updates. Do some research on that.

7. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I love my 2010, it's comfortable, loves to go fast and is beautiful. i married a french girl so my taste may be a little scued. My only comparisons are Enduro's and Adventure Tourer's, I have never ridden any of the other gen's so I'm of little help other then saying I'm a happy guy.

8. jimwww

jimwww New Member

I just switched my choice this week from an 2003 st1300 to a 2003 vfr800 because of weight. I simply wanted something similar to my 1990vfr in weight. Not sure if you car about that. I personally would take the vfr800 and spend 3g on a jeep Wranger as well. :)

9. Jackstand Johnny

Jackstand Johnny New Member

Is your GSX-R1100W watercooled? I was wondering if thats what the W designation stands for. I almost traded a guy my CBR600RR engine for His 1100 lump until he told me it was from a W model so it was watercooled. I want me an oil boiler.