Which VFR series to buy.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by nick5704, May 16, 2004.

1. nick5704

nick5704 New Member

I am in the market for a VFR and was wondering which Generation would be the right choice. I will be doing some commuting on the bike, along with track days and some long trips also. I like the new body style but want to know what you owners think about your bikes, you know pros and cons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

2. NE146T9

NE146T9 Guest

I have the 2003 model and have put almost 15K on it in a year.  Here are my opinions in no particular order:

Pro's:  :)
    1) Does everything well -sport & tour all in 1 package
    2) Huge 35 liter factory saddlebags available
    3) Fuel injected
    4) stable in turns -never had a tank-slapper despite lack of steering damper
    5) decent brakes
    6) ABS available
    7) decent midrange
    8] VTEC -I like it!
    9) 200 + miles/ tank before reserve possible on interstates, 160 miles/tank before reserve on back-roads
    10) center stand
    11) easy rear wheel removal with single-sided swingarm
    12) comfortable ergonomics
    13) smooth engine + ride
    14) decent suspension
    15) clock
    16) 2 trip meters
    17) forgiving in turns
    18] it's a Honda!
    19) has dedicated following
    20) easy to shift around on when in attack mode -hanging off is no problem
    21) due to weight, front end stays planted well over crests where sportier bikes loft
    22) engine has + characteristics of both a V-layout and inline 4
    23) at 6000 RPM in top gear, engine is operating on 2 valves/cylinder and bike is moving at an indicated 90 mph
    24) fuel meter
    25) chain driven with easy adjustment
    26) proven engine
    27) exhaust note goes manic a 7000 RPM
    28] reportedly just trumped offerings from Ducati, Triumph, and BMW in the latest issue (June, maybe?) of the UK mag Fastbikes.  I have also seen in the past that the '02 VFR has beat out the Aprilla Futura and other contenders in a similar shoot-out.  Also, named 2003 sportstourer of the year by  Superbike magazine
    29) ABS version comes with rear preload adjustment knob -no awkward wrenching needed here!
    30) decent feedback from front tire
    31) respectable lean angles possible
    32) responds well when ridden with heated aggression.
    33) bike can be steered easily with shoulders if that's your style
    34) angular bodywork makes bike & rider invisible to radar

Con's >:(
    1) is heavy by standards
    2) pricey for an 800, though I just saw an '03 ABS leftover in red marked at $8999!
    3) OEM seat must go! Get the Corbin.
    4) pricey VTEC valve adjustments at 16K intervals
    5) linked brakes means more hassle to bleed brakes
    6) turns and steers slower than sportbikes
    7) mine eats rear tires (MEZ4's, Roadtec Z6's) every 3500 miles (I ride primarly back roads, though)
    8] Great for single rider touring but I don't endorse for 2-up touring -get a bigger engine
    9) In general, big and tallish
    10) plastic fairing rivets are trash and pricey to replace  -seen superior designs on an '02 954 and '03 R1
    11) EVAP canister & bracket must be removed for unobstructed access to oil filter
    12) '02 VFR known to be plagued with fuel injection glitches and sporadic stalling
    13) must keep the momentum going through turns to have fast exit speeds, but will make you a better rider
    14) peg feelers touch down with effort
    15) my insurance premium seems high for this bike.  Hmmmm?
    16) Oh yeah, long key keeps bending in locks -I am constantly hammering it straight again

??? Finally, linked brakes? -don't really notice them that much.

3. mloarie

mloarie New Member

I haven't had mine for a month yet. Have wanted a VFR since the first interceptor in '83 and on a very foolish impulse went in and dropped cash for a 2004. Did not do a thorough look around at what else is out there (this is hopefully the most collossal episode in my midlife crisis). Never go into a bike shop after you've been working too hard and are in a tif with the wife.

If I had the chance to do it again I would strongly consider something with more low-end distribution of torque like a Ducati ST3 or perhaps a BMW R-bike of some sort. I have had several single cylinder thumpers over the years and always like the combination of simplicity, low mass and low RPM torque. I hated the vibration though and that's what led me to the V4. I am not impressed with this V4 though as it is very buzzy. I had a V45 Sabre a few years ago that I recall being smoother than this and had expected that smoothness or better in the new VFR. I traded rides with my buddy on his K1200 RS on a recent ride and was amazed at how much smoother the K-bike is, (it is a fat pig though and does nothing for me). If I had known that the VFR800 would be buzzy I would've probably gone for a twin of some sort for the lower mass and higher low-end torque and traded the buzz for a lower frequency thrum.

You've probably read all the stuff about VTEC here but one thing I haven't seen is anyone comment about hitting the VTEC kick in a corner or cresting a hill. I consider this effect bordering on hazardous. I am obvioulsy green to the bike and will probably get myself used to the effects of this surge during focused aggressive riding but I am having doubts about even practicing wheelies on this bike --hey we keep saying this is the do-everything bike...

Read this month's 'Rider' mag for a comparison of our VFR against Ducati and a couple other bigger twins, the VFR came in last... :(

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Cough, Cough, Splutter, My Vtec VFR is a wonderful bike, as close to a perfect balance as I could imagine for a Sports Tourer. :D

Easy  very stable handling,  well controlled front and rear suspension that handles corners and bumps equally well, comfortable seat and riding position good for distance and a motor with more than enough power for public roads.

Normally for commute or rain or a calm Sunday ride I never get near engaging VTec and tend to ride between 3800RPM and 6000RPM, with more miles the bottom end gets smoother and better and when that little imp inside say's "Hay Ho Lets Go" then riding between 7000RPM and Redline 12500 very Grin making. ;D

Resently I did a 3 day 1200Mile ride which had everything,  Freeways, fast sweeping A roads, bumpy Winding B roads and amazingly fun tight and twisty Alpine passes, it was fantastic, the VFR was not shamed by the R1's, GSR1000's SuperSport 600's through the Twisties ( not as fast at 10 /10ths but not far off ) and was much more comfortable on the Freeways etc , while my friends were beat up each day I was not. In fact rode the last days return journey of 400 miles on my own with only one 15 min fuel stop and finished with a fang via my favourite run through the National Park.  :D

I think the engine is smooth enough maybe not silky turbine smooth like a Super Blackbird, but it is much much smoother than the VTwin I had previously and less tingly than most Inline Fours. :)

Positives - Riding Position, Stability, Balance, Handling, Comfort, Power, Controls, Head  Lights, Fairing coverage, Tank Range, Clear Instruments, feeling and sound of VTec engagment when a playful mood Hits. :)

Negatives - I live fine with the VTec engagment but tend to work around it and think it was an unnecessary "advancment" by Mr Honda. ???

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I bought a new VFR in 03' and have developed a love/ hate relationship with it. It frustrates me that Honda redesigned this bike from the ground up, and, at that time had an opportunity to create the ultimate street bike. Taking into account all the positive remarks above, imagine a 900-1000cc V4 motor with the gear driven cams of old, (costly, but bulletproof mechanically, wonderfull sound, and probably still cheaper to manufacture than Vtec) that wonderfull new body work, single sided swing arm, underseat exhaust, and factory hard bags. There would have been NO competition. As it is, it's still a great bike, but I can't help wondering what could have been. Maybe it's the engineer in me? My biggest complaint is the forks. I can't seem to get them how I want. Either they're too stiff, like a pogo stick, or too soft, and dive under braking. With a bike of this price, I would have gladly traded the manditory and heavy linked brakes for some lighter, higher quality suspension, both front and rear. And I can't stand that damn catalytic converter. I hate the look of it, the weight, and the heat. They should have put it to the rear of the final coupling, so at least we have the option of removing it with an aftermarket exhaust. Now I'm going to have to find whole new header (if one ever becomes available without the cat, in stainless, mmmmm). Even with those gripes, it's still the most practical, comfortable, and versatile sport bike on the planet. Enjoy!!

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    This is because it has never been an issue wet or dry, at least for me, I enjoy riding as smooth as possible through the twisties and even if transitting VTec engagment mid corner it really is more sound and feeling of things happening than some kind of 2 Stroke type powerband, having ridden a tickled RD350LC in the '80's you know what a powerband is.

Looking at the Dyno charts the VTec Torque / Power curve is similar throughout the Rev range to the Klingon.

It can add a perseption of fun, sort of like Mad Max engaging a Super Charger. Both not real, I had a close look at the Black Pursuit Falcon he used in the Movie and was disapointed there was a normal Carby and manifold sitting inside the Roots Blower, and of course Normal Roots Blowers are on all the time anyway in cars.

7. cyudyu

cyudyu New Member

I have 98, and I've been extremely in love with it. My first impression was a bit slow yet very smooth, soon I realized that I was in wrong gear and trying to lug it all the time (I was so used to big cruisers), 6th is not needed below 70mph. Once I figured out how to optimize the power especially in mid range 5-8K RPM this thing really moves!! More I ride more respect I get of the power. I-4s just don't do it for me, buzzy and slow in low end (1000 and up are different story but sacrifice the handling and gas mileage). I hear that Honda developed V-tec to compete low end torque with Ducati and such, but really adds nothing else. I have no opnion, have not ridden. VFRs actually decreased horse power and gained weight over the years verses increased torque primarily for better touring capabilities again, compete with Ducati and such (notice Duc STs aren't high HP bikes therefore slower top speed). 98 was bike of the year in its class. I think it was the best do it all bike. Lighter weight, nimble yet easy on bumps, best combination of HP and torque, not too big gas tank (weight), but it really depends on your riding style. I'd say if you have any track days go for higher HP VFR (I got mine up to 150mph and a little to spare), but all VFRs will do fine on long trips. Check out specs on www.bikez.com

8. jameshicks

jameshicks New Member

Map
    I own a 03 vfr, And I miss alot of things My 97 VFR 750 had. The brakes, gear wine, and the throttle was fantastic, no flat spots, no dips, no hunting and great fuel economy. Dead on Relieable. I have mixed feelings about high tech bikes.