Which one is faster in straight VF1000 vs. VFR800

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Nony Pestejo, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Just curious...

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sure this is gonna be one of those "depends on the rider/bike" kind of answers. I haven't ever seen the two race myself, though. I have hit around 145 indicated on my 5g, but I have heard others say they have gone faster... I can get up to that in less than a mile I think. (I wasn't really looking at the distance as I was watching in front of me)

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, I think the 1000 would win that one. They are pretty darn fast in a straight line. It doesn't hurt that you can pin the throttle off the line without any worries of a wheelie!

4. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    All right VFRW! We need to have a huge get together near a track with a 1/4 mile. All years and models represented. All done scientificly and recorded, video and the like.

Lets solve these questions once and for all. The World of VFRs needs answers.

5. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Why mines fastest....because it's red.

everyone knows the red ones go faster.

Waaagh!

6. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

My dads 1000, USA bone stock, wouldn't wheelie unless you really wanted to. But mine, even when it was stock, would power wheelie like there was no tomorrow! Supposedly the US and Canadian versions are the same? I couldn't find any differences in them, gearing, cams, CDI and carb setups. His had better low end, mine had better mid and top end. Of course mine now........ :strong:

7. S14Daver

S14Daver New Member

Map
    To be a critical about it you may as well compare power to weight, maybe toss in aerodynamics and gearing....? Id imagine the newer tech. 800 might be just as fast as the older 1000. Mind you im still new to my 98 vfr and also have no pre-existing knowledge of the older vf ancestors lol.

8. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    There's a lot more to it than just that. The 1000's will pull out of the hole so much harder and be a lot easier to launch. The 1/4 miles times I've seen show the 1000 to be faster in both elapsed time and trap speed, for whatever that's worth.

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, what he said.

10. Saint_Craig

Saint_Craig New Member

Having had both the 86 VF1000R and a 2002 VFR 800. I can say one thing the VF1KR is a Beast.

There is nothing subtle about this bike.

It will eat my 800's lunch all day on a straight line or a line without out too many tight twisties. It is a unforgiving monster that eats pavement.

Having said that the 800 Does what it does with style and grace. I've kept it and sent the 1KR to someone else's stable.

11. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Thank you guys... I thought the older VFs are just good for the garrage. Maybe the 1K is an exception, but mine VF750F is perhaps a different story. Actually, my friend who has an R6 often makes joke that my VF750F, even with bigger CC could not match his R6 in any way. I just smiled because i knew he was true because his is lighter and newer. Is there a way to beat his R6 in a straight 1 mile race? his is stock. Mine has a new timing chain and new pireli tires.

I really appreciate your feedback/suggestions to make him respect the old VF. Thanks in advance.

12. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    additional info...I once tried in a straight at 195KPH nearing the red line.

13. Saint_Craig

Saint_Craig New Member

Vf1000r

Additionally I remember Riding with a bunch of guys who had CBR900RR (92/93) and the 86 VF1000R could easily keep up with them on the Highway.

I remember sneaking on I476 before it officially opened and he and I did a WFO run from I95 to RT3 exit. Initially he got the jump on me due to better power to weight but I eventually reeled him in.

14. relic rider

relic rider New Member

I have the full fleet from 400 to 1000r with the newest being the 86 750 .With stock gearing the the 86 750 is fastest but the 85 1000r is quicker and pulls red line in top gear (5speed)with lots of throttle left .The 1000r is a beast to ride and is unforgiving as it has a ton of weight and poor brakes by to days standards.The 1000f is the most comfy to ride 2 up if you what to eat up the miles and the 86 750 is the best at doing it all to me .

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Having had a 84Vf1000 I can say it would beat the 800, but don't get them on a twisty back road.

16. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    The older VFRs are for much more than the garage. The 1k as others said can take the 800 and I bet the 86-87 VFR750F could give it a run for its money as well. Hell with the right rider the 86 can pull 10s in the 1/4.

17. frankie fitzpatrick

frankie fitzpatrick New Member

Ireland
    Map
    nice job looks well