Where Do I Park the Car/Trailer?

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by GregPaul, Oct 6, 2009.

1. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map
    I'm planning to do some longer rides in 2010. In my one season of riding I haven't been outside the state of Wisconsin.

My "plan" is to put the bike on my 8 by 4 foot open utility trailer and tow it to eastern Ohio or West Virginia, then tour WV, MD & western VA for a week on the bike.

So, where do I stow the car and trailer for a week?

Do places like Travel America or Flying J permit us little guys to park with the 18-wheelers? I can't envision leaving it in some desolate rural location or suburban street. What are the alternatives? I'm expecting this to cost a few rupees or rubles if any real security is involved.

Thanks!

Greg Paul :smile:

P.S. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. It's just a trip/event I haven't taken yet. :wink:

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Just ride. That is what the VFR is made for.

3. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map
    Drewl,

I think it is appropriate that you are to be considered a philosophical advisor. The merits of the approach you've offered are undeniable. And it is not unlikely that, with experience, I might choose that approach.

However, "Youth Must Be Served" ("youth" in this case meaning inexperience with biking). There might be some value from learning from one's own mistakes that one willfully plunges into.

So, please include an addendum to my original request such words as ". . . if one were bullheaded enough to consider this approach . . . "

GregPaul

(I'm also thinking ahead to other trips, for example a West Coast trip that skips 900 Great Plains miles on I-80) :smile:

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

you can always look into a camp site somewhere in the middle.

5. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map
    I will look into that.

Thanks! :smile:

Greg Paul

6. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

There has got to be some VFRW peeps nearby that you could park it in front of their house/in their driveway if nothing else presents itself.

7. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map

True, there are generous souls. And I would of course be generous in a monetary way with my thanks.

However, besides the nuisance factor, in many circumstances an unattended trailer could attract criminals. Doesn't matter the neighborhood. I'd almost be talking someone out of offering such a thing. :frown:

GregPaul

8. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

I was thinking it would be better than a campsite at least. To each their own though! :smile:

9. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map
    This occurred to me a few minutes ago. So I haven't thought it through.

I've never used one of those U-Rent type storage garage deals that are located off the Interstates. I know they want clients to rent by the month, but maybe one of these companies rent by the week? I could stash the trailer and leave the car somewhere nearby (I'm generous with money, not profligate).

Like I said, I haven't thought that one out . . .

Anyhoo. The expense can't be astounding, could it? :rolleyes:

GregPaul

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Don't you have a truck....? All redneck own more then one vehicles.........lol
    If you have a truck, probably safe you a lot of headach. PArk where ever you like and roll the Viffer down and off you go :)
    BTW I am thinking of doing the same but with my truck travel from San Diego to Suzzyville to visit some of my favorite Viffers

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Wrong....expensive expensive expensive. I like the idea of parking out front of a fellow VFRW person. I hear you with the empty trailer issue but that is not a big issue. Noting that an RV that is normally parked in a yard is now gone is a big light being turned on but I don't think and empty trailer. Besides, parking in a neighbourhood offers free and lots of natural surveilance.

You can also consider Walmart...near all those echeap campers with the 1/4 million dollar rigs. Again, natural surveilance.

But I have to agree with Drewl....ride the bugga.

12. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map

I'd try the redneck thing, but folks would just know I wasn't real. :rolleyes:

However, those Chrysler/Mercedes supertall vans always attract my attention when I see them. Sprinter is what they call them (I think).

You're talking about Susanville? I got a few days of riding in northern California when I picked up my VFR in January. I kept thinking about the beautiful landscape that was available for everyone and how few folks were on the road riding.

Beautiful though it is . . . San Diego to up north is a long way (which was, and is, the premise I'm working from in this thread). :wink:

Thanks for that, Scubalong!

GregPaul

:smile:

13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Just ride the VFR and make sure to get a hotel room that's on the first floor and door facing outside...

[​IMG]

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    We have Sprinters at work....no one likes them so be careful. I have never driven one myself though.

15. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map
    Well, I admitted that I hadn't fully thought out the U-Rent places idea.

I'll check it out, but won't be shocked about the cost when you are right.

Does Wal-Mart still offer their parking lots for "transients"? Sounds like a great idea, but I wonder about the nature of the Air Stream type folks who utilize that. They don't hang around for weeks at a time, I would guess. There is a distinct difference between occupied vehicles there for a night or two and some apparently abandoned late model sedan with a wimpy old utility trailer attached.

I'm just thinking aloud. I'm not being dismissive.

I can check Wal-Mart. And I will. This could be the the one that works for me. Thank you for that.

For all: These are all good ideas.

I had my car stolen twelve years ago and as big a hassle as it was, if given a choice, I'd choose that over any of the other kinds of personal crimes that could be committed. I'd feel very bad if my trailer were stolen (SuperHassle!). I'd be extremely upset if my VFR were stolen (no words available). There are other things, worse things, of course . . .

I've restrained myself from saying more, for the moment . . .

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Officially, in Canada, Walmart does not grant permission for people to camp there. I think it is a liability thing. But they do turn a blind eye. I understand that in the US, they encourage this. If I were to put on a marketing and security hat for Walmart, this would be a good thing in my mind. Hell, campers are more likely to shop there than drive all over hells half acre (hectacre). And it also brings in survelience to deter crime as well.

17. GregPaul

GregPaul New Member

Map

Dang!

I've seen such pix over the last year . . .

I DON'T BELIEVE IT (that can't be the whole story you're giving - it's PaintShopPro or PhotoShop, right?),

How do you do it??????

GregPaul

P.S. That 5Gen DOES look like it just wants to snuggle, though . . . :tongue:

18. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States

That is real :rolleyes::eek::biggrin: Joey was on the run from authority and still are running:biggrin: (Randy) still looking for him.

19. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    :lol:

Yup, no photoshop here.. I just had to bend the mirrors a little so the bike would get through the doorway. Just a tip if you want to do this, make sure to ride around the hotel and look for a handicap-accessible room, they usually have a sloped sidewalk for the wheelchair. And make sure to walk with a limp in the hotel lobby. :thumbsup:

20. NWA_VFR700F

NWA_VFR700F New Member

Map
    Along the lines of truck stops, yes, as long as you speak with a manager, they are prone to let you have an extended park. I left my Eclipse at a Pilot in White Pine, TN, for a week so that I could rent a truck and trailer to haul another car to Arkansas. They provided me a spot to park, out of the way, that also had security cams pointed on it, so not only was the car ok, but it always had constant watch on it in case something happened. I'm sure a van/truck with a small trailer would be fine as well