What's a good ride mapping program?

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by afpierce489, Mar 4, 2011.

1. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    I wanted to plan a ride for some friends of mine for the spring, but I can't seem to find a good mapping program out there for free. I've tried to use Google Maps, but just can't get the hang of it and I don't have a 10 year old around to show me how to use it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

If it's OK, I will post the same information here that I gave you on another forum.

Map Quest is another free mapping program.
    Having used both Map Quest and Google Maps, I seem to have a slight preference for Map Quest.

Map Quest

Here again, a matter of preference, but I also prefer the original "Classic" Map Quest. It can be reached through the link at the bottom left of the "New" Map Quest home page.

I do have a GPS, but since my trips are usually 200 miles or less, I only carry it with me for when I get lost.
    I very seldom follow my original route 100%. I seem to wander off on a different road that looks interesting and is going in the same general direction as my destination.
    And yes, I do get lost quite often, but I have had some great rides when lost.

ps. I'm lazy so I did a copy & paste.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If the aim is to end up with something you can transfer to a TomTom or Garmin SatNav then this might help:
    http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbiking/documents/TYRE GPS Planning.pdf

You are right about Google Maps, its not very instinctive, hence you really need someone to watch over your shoulder and show you how to use it a few times. The big plus is it has an immense choice of overlay information which you can use to plan your trip. If you add the right overlay you can find things like location of filling stations, tourist attractions, and viewpoints.

4. rjw

rjw New Member

5. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for all the reply's. I'm working on it now. I'm trying to figure out google maps and I'm also working with mapquest, so we'll see which one works out in the end.

6. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

One thing I didn't see mentioned.
    With both Google Maps and Map Quest, zooming in on an area will show you a lot of roads that are not visible in the normal view.
    Those roads are usually the secondary roads that are by far the most interesting and fun.

7. mojo_vfr800

mojo_vfr800 New Member

I am a fan of google maps.. I also recomend maybe looking into a Android based device. I am bias.. cuz I manage a Verizon Wireless location so I would recomend the Droid X or something simular.. But really any android will do as long as its a "with google" device. I know you only asked for a maping program.. but you can pull up google navigation on a droid and they make car docks for it that could easily be modified to fit on your bike (I plan on doing this myself) anywho, haveing a all in one navigation, phone, media player and camera and camcorder for your bike will make a great accessory for a long trip when you need to travel light..

8. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a good point, however, I think I'm one of the few people left in the world that doesn't have a "smart phone". I even have text messaging blocked on my phone so I don't get those annoying texts from solicitors. I don't text, e-mail, or anything from my phone. I actually use it as a phone, surprising I know. I would prefer to get rid of it myself, but it's actually handy for the 15 minutes per month that I actually use it. It does sound like a good thing though, for packing light on a long trip, having an "all in one" kinda thing. The more uses you can get out of one piece of gear, the better it is on long trips. Thanks for the advice.

9. mojo_vfr800

mojo_vfr800 New Member

I hear ya on the no smartphone thing... sometimes they are a pain lol... being so accessible to everyone. But good luck on your trip

10. jonn

jonn New Member

I like mapquest. Using it now for a trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway next week. The classic map is better but the best feature is to the upper right of the map you can click on the gas and motel icons and it shows all gas stations and motels along the route.

11. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    That's good to know, thank you.

12. AberdeenMan

AberdeenMan New Member

To quote a favorite author: "There is a school of thought which says that you should consult a map on these occasions, but to such people I merely say, 'Ha! What if you have no map to consult? What if you have a map but it's of the Dordogne?' My own strategy is to find a car, or the nearest equivalent, which looks as if it knows where it is going and follow it. I rarely end up where I was intending to go, but often I end up somewhere that I needed to be. So what do you say to that?"