What's a fair price

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by risgett, Sep 22, 2014.

1. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Reluctantly I'm about to sell my VFR. What's a fair price to ask for it? It has 22k miles. It's a daily driver so it has normal small scratches and such. The PO dropped it on the left side. Pics below. Is $4500 fair?
    IMG-20120601-00210.jpg
    WP_20140412_001.jpg

2. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Anyone??? Just looking for advice.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Try searching as a potential purchaser. You should get something to go on. I have no idea. Mine (06) is such high mileage I would not know where to start.

Sorry.

4. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    I think that's fair, yes.

5. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Please take no offense, Just trying to help you here since I just sold my 6th gen.

As Randy said above, you have to look as if you were a buyer. You have an Anniversary edition, so that will carry some weight with a fan of VFR's. But not with anyone else most likely. However, you do not have ABS. The bike looks to be bone stock. OEM seat, exhaust, etc... And the scratches detract from the value as well. Do you have an updated R/R? VFRness? 16K valve check? People will ask about these.

I would ask $4500 like you said, but I would expect offers of $4000 to maybe $4200. Time of the year is also working against you. I don't know what the winter is like where you live, but the only way someone is going to buy a bike only to let it sit all winter is if they feel they got it for a steal. If you really want to get $4500 for it, price it higher and state OBO in your ad. Say you need the money and encourage haggling. That way the buyer can feel like they are robbing you blind.

Seriously.

6. LeakingLewis

LeakingLewis New Member

United States
    Map
    maybe a good place to start

I think 4500 is a good starting place. I've been shopping for a VFR for about 2 months. There is an 07 like yours with 28K -no damage- thats been for sale for a few months at $4,000. If you check CL or cylce trader the ones priced hot -move fast. If i was in NC id offer you $3800 - i'm a tight ass though. Ive got an offer out on a 2002 for $2,000

7. dennisarner

dennisarner New Member

FWIW I just bought a RWB 07 ABS with 4900 miles for $4900. Original owner, garage kept, etc. This time of year bikes don't sell well. Wait until spring you might get $5K Not now. Don't mean to be the bad guy but 3500-4000 now is probably more realistic.

8. xorbe

xorbe New Member

Sell the bike in FL or CA, add $2K no problem ...

9. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    The only way to know if it's a fair price is to try to sell it. It will probably sell for $4500 pretty easily, I think. If nobody bites in a week or so, lower the price a couple hundred. Seeing as you're in SC, you probably have more of the season left to sell than those of us further north.