What makes a good rider?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JIMLARCH, Oct 4, 2014.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Over the years we've all spoken to fellow riders. How many of them have said, "I'm a lousy rider!" I guarantee not a one. We all think we are good riders. But what is a good rider? Are you a good rider because you have ridden numerous years in a totally non-aggressive manner, keeping at the speed limit, and not having had any accidents. Or are you a good rider because you have developed your bike handling skills by pushing the envelope on more than one occasion, maybe raced, done track days, and fallen off on occasion.

I've heard of numerous accidents where cruiser riders riding in a group, were cut off, no fault of their own, and one of the riders went down. Then a number of the other cruisers, none of them involved in the accident, or really that close to it, pile into each other like dominoes. How many of those riders had been riding for years without an accident, who considered themselves good riders.?

Most of the guys I ride with are racers or ex-racers. We don't ride like idiots and regularly go to Deals Gap. We pretty much keep to the speed limits on the straights, and rail around the bends. On occasion, but not often one of us will go down. Most times due to road debris.

I have no problem riding within a few feet of these guys. I know what they will do, or not do. I wouldn't dream of riding anywhere near a lot of "good" riders that I know who have been riding for years, but in my mind, not developed any skill at bike handling. They are not good bike riders in my opinion.

What do you think makes a good rider?

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Dropping the bike a few times makes you a great rider-now its broken in-just put sliders on before hand.

3. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I agree with OP. Good riders push the envelope IN A SAFE MANNER but don't get stupid, consider all things including weather & road conditions, fatigue level, traffic conditions, etc. Good riders ATGATT, know the performance limits of their bikes, & keep a finger on the pulse of their ride for any potential mechanical issues.

4. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Good riders don't panic & crash in emergency situations.
    Good riders read the road at a higher level.
    Good riders know that their invisible to cagers.
    Good riders leave themselves a way out. Etc., etc.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    A good rider is one who doesn't fall down, within reason. Riding fast and low siding in a corner on the street doesn't necessarily make you a better rider, just one who needs to replace his gear more often, and maybe a slow learner.
    A good rider is one who realizes that the road is not a race track and rides accordingly.
    A good rider is one who knows that if he goes down due to "road debris", then he is riding too fast for conditions or riding too fast for his abilities.
    A good rider is one who doesn't feel that it's necessary that other riders see him as a "good rider". Peer pressure is responsible for putting a lot of riders in the ditch.

I'm a mediocre rider and have been for 50+ years and several hundred thousand miles, but I really enjoy riding, have never crashed, and look forward to riding for many more years. And yes, I have 1/4 inch chicken strips that will probably never disappear unless I do a track day. I'd love to do a track day, but just never have gotten around to it.

I've seen tons of riders go fast, fall down, repeat a few times, and then quit riding. I wonder how many of the "good riders" will still be riding in another 10 years.

6. cinelliguy

cinelliguy New Member

Map
    @ FJ12rydertoo
    Well said.

7. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    A recent study was done by a credited college to find out people's view of themselves pertaining to acquired knowledge and understanding in certain fields.

Conclusively, all the tests we're nearly unanimous, in that those who knew the least credited themselves far more than those who knew much more in the field. Experts in certain fields will usually discount their knowledge and understanding due to the level of respect for the unknown and the many unanswered questions that May be left.

Short story is if someone talks himself tall, scientifically, he is most likely a bad rider. A good rider discounts his abilities and only concludes that he can always learn more.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Deep Purple..I mean Highway Star..got mixed up there..
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. ....perfect
    And Toe....hit the head on the nail

10. manxie

manxie New Member

A good rider is someone who never has to tell anyone theyre a good rider. A good rider is someone who rides the bike without fuss or drama without putting himself or others in danger ( you have track days for that). I get told Im not a real biker or rider until I drop the bike.....No thanks, thats like telling the kid who has hair lice that they have them because their hair is clean, utter bollocks.

11. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    A good rider could be a "bad" rider that knows their bad...like me. I respect the bike, the human laws and the laws of physics. Not a day goes by that I don't think that I deserve this fine machine. :smile-new:

12. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

A good rider knows there is always room for improvement and learning; thru reading, thru schools, thru one's own experience & from the experience of others ...

ACE

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    A good writer is one who writes no matter whether it gets read...

Wait, maybe I misread something.