What is the biggest (2 wheeled) POS you have owned?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by reg71, Nov 13, 2013.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The who hates harley thread got me thinking about this.

The only bike I owned that I couldn't wait to sell just happened to be a 71 Harley Sportster. It vibrated like a paint shaker. It was pretty, but it took the joy out of riding for me. I always feared something would fall off.

The 2nd biggest POS was a VF500. Not because it didn't run, but because it was such a PIA to accomplish any maintenance that I was overwhelmed by its needs. I really like to ride more than I like working on bikes. I was afraid that it had a serious problem with the cam chain which kept me from really being able to enjoy the bike. Also getting parts was a nightmare.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I am lucky I have not experience :biggrin-new:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map

then butt out! :argue2:

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My present 06 is the biggest POS I have ever owned.. Then again it is the best I've ever owned as well. I envy those who have owned and learned the hard way what a hardley doinanythin is all about.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The only bike I ever just gave up on was a 1988 Ninja 750. What a pile. Three different catastrophic transmission failures in 1800 miles, last ruined the case and I took to a recycler just to keep myself from working on it further. Man I hated that bike.

6. rjgti

rjgti New Member

750 water buffalo was mine:tyrannosaurus:

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Need you ask?

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    My choice would be the bike I rode in the early 90's which was Kawasaki EX500. It sounded like a lawnmower and was very slow compared to all my friends who rode 600cc Hurricane's and FZR's. It was like a 1/2 dressed Ninja wannabee bike. Even though I hated it Kawasaki must have sold alot of them since they were produced for more than 20 years.

Rollin

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    A 1978 Yamaha XS750. Worst bike I ever owned and sold it as soon as I could afford it. I toured a lot in those days and that POS would not pull a steep hill when fully loaded without some serious detonation. I was always afraid the thing was just going to quit on me. I bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G to replace it and put many, many miles on that bike. Over 20,000 miles the first summer I had it.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    1986 Kawasaki ZL600, a mini-eliminator wana be. Bought new in NJ, was a CA model, so there were vacum leaks and constant hard starts due to a charcoal canister that was wasted due to a few tip overs and lousy cams along with gawd knows what kind of electrics. Last straw was a cir clip that let go in gear box and exloped 4, 5, 6 gears @ 40,000 miles. Was withoot the bike for 6 months as dealer was pompanoing me, it had an extended warranty (total waste of time.) When it was finally back together, I rode it around the block and traded it for a new 91 Nighthawk. What a revelation! Chain drive compared to a shaft, total turd of a bike!

Rollin, I have had two EX500 and think they are the cats ass! Different strokes for different strokes. Have seen that Ninja 750 and heard similar horror stories. Cheers...

11. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    I had a vulcan 1500 nomad
    It wasn't a bad bike, in fact the upright position was much better for admiring my surroundings.

But even after a spring and fork oil upgrade it felt very much like the 760 lbs it is.

[​IMG]

Finally one day i got tired of scraping chrome on mild turns- sold it and got a VFR.

I upgraded the suspension a bit and man the VFR is a rock at speed.

I got risers but maybe heli bars are my next upgrade so I can enjoy the scenery I keep whizzing by:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    That's a funny question, because I've owned around 30 bikes, and I pretty much liked them all.

...oh, wait. There was that Honda 200 twin that I put all that work into and then had 3rd gear fail on it. Yeah, I wasn't in love with that bike.

[​IMG]

13. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

Never had a true POS but if I had to pick one I would say it was a 1983 Honda Shadow 750. It was really my fault though. I had no idea how to work on it. I wish I could get it back and make it run the way it should have.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, my son just bought one, and it was an 05 and it looks like nothing has changed from the 88 ex500 he had.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Ok I remember now
    I use to have few of those pocket bike from China and they are PITA to start and tune the carb
    One of them put several scar on me in front of my Ex and the boys trying to show them how to ride a pocket bike

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    It pains me to admit it, but my 1984 VF750F gave me a lot of heartache. Issues included a failed cam chain tensioner, a blown head gasket, a failed clutch pushrod seal, and weeping fork seals due to slightly out-of-round tubes. The shock was a joke, too. It looked good, but it was . . . A POS!

17. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    BMW K100 RS, 83/84 model. Should have known from it's designation RS (Rat Shit). This bike promised so much, I had a BMW boxer (1981 R65)before that & it was the sweetest bike to ride & own, never missed a beat & was so easy to work on. Let me think, noticed that the electronic speedo stopped working intermittently, that was before the instrument cluster fogged up & the gear indicator disappeared entirely. One recall had heat shielding put under the tank, used to get so hot you couldn't rest your knees on it , cracked sub frame, cracked center stand, which saw the bike do a 180 turn on the stand & then fall over, fuel pressure pump that left me stranded on a Sunday arvo 600 kays from home, oil leaks from the sump pan (which I fixed by torquing the bolts to the correct specs. BMW workshops are just as useless as everyone else's).

18. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    Had a Yamaha 125 two stroke. Had a dual range transmission for dirt and street. Late 70's. POS wouldn't start or run. Fouled more plugs than the law allows. Yep thats the one.

19. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    No apologies my friend, gen 1 was my first love as well....... much like getting it on for the first time with a trans sexual cross dresser from Malaysia...... the job got done but much to think aboot later.

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map

Laughed Out Loud at that.