What if one side of the front suspension was stiffer than the other side?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jsutton1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jsutton1

jsutton1 New Member

Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey, United States
    Map
    What would happen if one of the front forks leaks oil but the other does not? Would that mean that one fork was supporting the front wheel more than the other? How would that feel when riding the bike?

My left seal appears leaky. Not sure how much oil is in either fork. I am expiriencing some strange sensations from the front end. I have checked it and its all solid and not coming apart. But I was wondering what it would feel like if one tube was stiffer than the other?

2. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    The oil mostly affects rebound, one fork would want to rebound quicker than the other and slightly bind the other one up on rebound.
    Leaky seals can cause problems with brakes, you need to replace both seals with Honda seals pretty soon. Then you can make sure the forks have the proper amount of oil in each fork.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You just finished getting the bike back on the road, right ??

Now you need to fix the leaky fork and change fork oil. Fork oil gets really nasty after a few years and makes a noticeable difference when it's fresh. Consult your service manual for proppa fork oil level, and check bushings and spring length when things are apart.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The springs support the bike, the oil controls rebound and compression speed, so if one leg is low on oil it might affect rebound/compression in one leg. Would you notice the difference? Personally I doubt if I could tell the difference unless maybe one was completely empty. YMMV.

5. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    When they are imbalanced it could cause your forks to go into a wobble when you least expect it. If the oil is just off a little its no big deal. But the fact you don't know its worth making them right and safe. Sometimes if a bike sits for a long time and then the forks are compressed a little bit of dirt or whatever can get trapped between the tube and seal and all they need is to be cleaned. I take a thin piece of plastic, a dirt bike goggle tear off works great and cut it to the shape of a spoon and slide it between the seal and tube cleaning it out. Has worked for me many times when I thought the seal was shot. Best thing for an older bike are new seals and oil though.