What gas mileage?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by RGonVFR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all,
    I just got my first VFR and love it. So comfy, fun to ride, looks and sounds great.... but I have to say I'm a little shocked at the mileage I'm getting. Only filled the bike up twice, but it's getting 35mpg. WTF?!?
    As far as I know, except for the Wolf underseat exhaust it is all stock. I drive mostly on the highway for commuting and have been avoiding hammering the throttle, which is kind of fun.
    Anyway, if anyone out there has some tips as to what I can check or do to up the mileage, I'd really appreciate it. Everyone else here seems to say that I should be getting at least 40-45mpg.
    Please help.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Really depends on your right wrist, as well as your riding conditions. Do you ride mostly highway? Do you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic? Do you accelerate hard from stops? Do you buy cheap gas? Is your air filter clean?

Seems like riding to work and back gets me around 37ish on my '98. I have seen around 43 or so on the highway.

3. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Majority of the riding is a long, straight, flat highway. About 25mi each way to work. And the right wrist isn't doing anything. I just got the bike and have been staying out of the gas intentionally to see what kind of mileage it gets, which so far has been BAD.
    Rich

4. derstuka

Map

That really isn't all that far off. I would check the airfilter, and replace if necessary, as well as the sparkplugs. Hard to tell without know what the previous owner has done (or not done) to the bike. Like if he put an aftermarket exhaust and re-mapped it, or what. Change the oil and put in a good brand motorcycle synthetic.....might not do much for gas mileage, but it can't hurt!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

5. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

my 00 gets easily 50+ us mpg on that kinda riding..somethin wrong here.... in fact it always does 5 better than my 6th gen ever gets. definately check the filter, etc..make sure she's stock and tuned up...

I dont get 35 even when i am driving the snot outa it..weird..

even so , a bike that cant do better than a civic makes me wonder whats wrong with all of them...

6. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys, good to be here by the way. I just tightened the chain and will get a new air filter for it tomorrow. There is Wolf underseat, aftermarket exhaust on it. How do I check to see if the FI was remapped?

7. derstuka

Map
    Ask the previous owner. I would ask him what kind of mpg that he got as well.

8. derstuka

Map
    Ya know, on second thought....I think that my highway is more like 45-50.

9. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    On my way to meet Reg in Northern California last fall, I checked my mileage from Portland on a perfect straight line stretch on I-5 and got 48.3 MPG, I will check my mileage on my 20 mile commute which includes some stop and go next week....

10. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

Typically my in-town mileage so far has been around 40. I took my first long highway trip recently and got just shy of 50.

11. hottstuff_284

hottstuff_284 New Member

Map
    Usually get around 200 mi. out of a tank. Have never figured the milage.

12. OKCVFR

OKCVFR New Member

Does the bike have a power commander? Most maps are to rich and fuel consumption goes way up. If you have a PC take it off, leave the O2 eliminateors in and runt it that way. Gurarantee it will run just as well and fuel milage will dramatically increase (if you have a PC).

13. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    In addition to the other suggestions check your tire pressure and brakes. They can really effect you mileage. I only get about 40 mpg on mine but I'm a good sized guy and I like the VTEC.

Action

14. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

Did you get the bike for an economical commuter because of high fuel prices?

15. RGonVFR

RGonVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Lots of questions, let's see if I can answer some of them.
    I bought the bike from a shop in San Fran, not the previous owner. The shop performed a full service on the bike, new air filter, plugs, oil, valve adjustment. Chain is tight, tires were brand new when I picked up the bike last week with 35psi front and rear. The brakes are good, the chain is clean.
    I don't know what a Power Commander is, but if that is something that would be visible from the outside of the bike, it ain't there.
    I don't know if the FI has been re-mapped. I did get the bike for more than just fuel economy, but that is one of the reasons. I wanted something comfy and fast for long road trips.
    R.W. - Thanks, I would like to know what you find in your commute next week.
    Again, thanks for all the responses guys.

16. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

Wow, I get nearly 50mpg on my '87 and that's goose'n it off the light and run'n one gear lower than I should. I thought carbs were supposed to get bad gas milage.

17. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Suggested tire pressure (cold) in the manual is 36 front and 42 rear. I'd try a little more pressure and see if that helps you. A Power Commander is an after market, add on computer, that allows you to program your fuel injection. They are usually located under the seat.

Action

18. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I've been getting about 38 - 40mpg average on an '07, best was about 43 on one 150 mile jaunt, mostly highway, with a couple of high speed runs.

19. k9style00

k9style00 New Member

Map
    I have 4300 miles on my 06 now. Mostly city riding, some highway, average speed about 50. I'm getting anywhere between 36 and 40 depending on how aggressive I ride.

20. Michel

Michel New Member

The manual calls for regular gas (I think) but premium blends typically give better mileage -- at least that's the case with my cars and other bike. What kind of gas does everyone here use? (I just got my vfr so I have to wait 2 months before I ride it and can report on gas consumption.)