Well, I have done it! F..ked my Rotator up!

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I have been in pain for 6 weeks now with my shoulder injury. Doc said to take anti-inflammatory meds (that tore the shit out of my stomach and stopped) and wait it out a while to see where it goes. Now 6 weeks into this fucked up pain he said to go to a sports medicine doctor. I sure hope I don't need surgery and that I can get a therapy routine in place to be ready for spring. Anyone have any advice on a shoulder injury that you may have had in the past? Let me know. Thanks

Allyance likes this.
  2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    My brother really blew up a shoulder about 4 years ago, the incident resulted in a rare "rearward displacement". He's been back to nearly 100% for a while now, you'd never know he had the injury. He's 50 years old, fit and trim, rides bicycles and runs, occasionally plays tennis (with the shoulder that had to be rebuilt). He got back nearly all of his ability to reach up over his head with the injured arm, which is the real test of how well you've recovered.

With our modern medical science the important thing for a shoulder (or other joint) injury isn't the operation (finding a good Orthopaedic Surgeon isn't that hard) to put it back to right again, it's the rehabilitation that has to occur afterwards. If you don't put in absolutely 100% effort at getting the rehab right you won't get the joint back anywhere near its original range of motion and day-to-day living comfort.

Recovering from reconstruction of a joint is all about your willingness to work hard.

Bubba Utah and 34468 Randy like this.
  3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Took me just over 2 years to be pain free and have full mobility after a rotator cuff injury.

Need to keep at rehab.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I am a little over 4 months after rotater cuff and repair of my bicep and another tendon. I feel great.

I worked my ass off with the PT, they couldn't believe how well and fast I recovered. I was very motivated, I didn't want to lose anymore time to injury.

The first couple months SUCK. But I am so glad I did it now.

YOU HAVE TO DO THE PT.

Bubba Utah and 34468 Randy like this.
  5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Heard it’s a good 6 month recovery after surgery
    Good luck.
    Know tons in the industry, mostly grips that have it done all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Is your pain from a specific injury or a gradual increase in pain? Around 18 to 20 years ago I had increased pain in my right shoulder, orthopedic doc said I had bone on bone in my shoulder. He sent me to a well known sports PT. I wondered how this PT could fix bone on bone, but he put me on the exam table and started pressing down on my muscles under my shoulder, all of a sudden he hit the bulleye. Turns out I had a severe knot. He developed a PT regiman of ultra sound treatments and exercises. That cleared it up in about 6 months. I had very little strength lifting up. Made working above my shoulders difficult. I couldn’t use any power tools.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Surgery could be an answer but it is not always the best answer at the time. Of course, your surgeon should be part of the decision process. In many cases though, lesser means of treatment should at least be considered, if not tried. I am very fond of physio therapy, Chiropractic and acupuncture or "needling" procedures.

I dislocated a shoulder several years ago during an arrest. (I was the arrestor, not the arrestee.)I have a little difficulty raising the arm beyond shoulder height depending on how I do it, but I don't recall this interfering with my day to day activities. I can still work with my hands over my head and do heavy lifting. Just about anything I did before the injury. I feel very fortunate that way.

I hope you find a resolution to your pain. Pain can be a bit of a bitch, especially if it is chronic. All injuries are usually a bit different for the individual. Good luck with it. Just pay attention to what the professionals are saying and recommending.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  8. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I know three people that have had rotator cuff surgery and follow-up physical therapy. They all said the overall experience really
    sucked, and took several months to get through. All three are doing okay now. Two out of three had really good results with the
    third one having only decent results. All three had different surgeons and differ physical therapy regimens, so it may make some
    difference.

Good luck, and don't short the work, even if it hurts like a mofo. :Dance:

Bubba Utah likes this.
  9. drivinfast

drivinfast New Member

United States
    The anti-inflammatory meds-advil or generic have to be taken with food, otherwise they mess up your stomach as you have said. I have had both shoulders scoped---the left one has stayed fine, the right has developed bone spurs, tendonitis and arthritis. I have x-rays and MRI to determine my condition, and if I have it operated on, they want to do a reverse replacement-I know it sounds like a very invasive surgery and it is. For now I take advil on full stomach twice a day, wellesse glucosamine, CBD oil sublingual and vaped. I also wear a evs-sports.com shoulder support---its a neoprene wrap around that keeps the joint tight into itself.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Did you get an MRI yet?

11. drivinfast

drivinfast New Member

United States
    yes, the MRI picture looks very similar to my x-ray

12. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    The MRI question was for Bubba, sorry for the confusion.

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Nope waiting to get into someone.

14. Tony Whitwham

Tony Whitwham New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I feel your pain...I had this:
    https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/muscles-bones-joints/subacromial-decompression

Which led to frozen shoulder, all incredibly painful with poor arm mobility. I had 3 steroid injections, physio, acupuncture to no avail. Seeing a well recommended consultant is the best thing to do for a good diagnosis with x-rays, scans. I was diagnosed with a bone spur and frozen shoulder which required surgery (SAD) followed by a year long recovery.

I hope you recover, take it slowly, my favourite exercise to keep the frozen shoulder at bay is 'behind the neck press'

15. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hope it's minor Bubba!

I've got a couple of minor supraspinatus tears in my left shoulder that will require surgery at some point. Work-related, so that's a plus but I've been too busy to get it repaired.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i believe that bed rest is the best preventative of injures of all kinds and accordingly spend 12-14 in- bed hours daily and nightly. almost all injuries seem to happen when people are out of bed !

i have no job of course. :nelson:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Bubba Utah likes this.
  17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If it is work related, get it fixed before you retire, and on their dime.

I am not sure of your age, but say you retire from your present occupation and take up a second career. Then at a later date the shoulder becomes an issue that you have to take time off work for medical procedures to correct the issue caused from previous employment with another employer. Do you think the new employer will be prepared to pay potentially prolonged sick benefits?

My suggestion. You will know what is best.

Bubba Utah and Samuel like this.
  18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

What's her name, Squirrelman? Sounds like a keeper.

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    This was my last bedmate............

march 17 043.JPG

march 17 043.JPG

20. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Copy that, thanks! I've got a couple of IODs under my belt and one or two more pending in addition to my shoulder. Have legal representation on standby so I'm ok for now. Will definitely get everything taken care of before I pull the plug. Have at minimum 4 more years but it'll probably be more like 7-8 so no big hurry right now...

34468 Randy likes this.