Weird - headlight dying, left turn signal light on console solid, turn signals won't blink WTF???

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by fieldsanitation, Jul 28, 2014.

1. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    So I was cruising with my wife the other day and she told me that my right headlight was out... and I started thinking about doing the LED mod that I saw on here. But when I got home, I flicked my high beams on (both lit) and then back to regular beams and suddenly the other bulb lit up. "hmmm that's weird..." packed it in for the night, and when I went to work the next day, I turned the key to ON, and my left turn signal light on the console was on solid. it didn't go out. I cranked the bike, and once it was running, I flicked left turn/right turn/ reset... still lit. flicked high beams on/off and then the light went out...
    drove to work no worries, signals all worked.
    cranked it up when I finished work and the same thing, light on solid but once the bike was running and I flicked through the lights, it went back to normal.
    it smells like a floating ground, possibly caused by the headlight going bad... OR... somehow its affected the relay.
    my two rear turn signals are LEDs and the two fronts are regular bulbs and I haven't replaced the relay yet... so maybe I've fried that poor thing with the fast flicker...

anyone else seen this?

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a faulty ground to me to. I'm not too familier with the 5th gen but I think there is an orange connector somewhere that a bunch of grounds go to that is known to fail. Good luck!

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    There she be.

5. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    ah HA.... It comes and goes once every few days... guess its time to take off the plastics and see what I can find! Thanks everyone!