Weekend Vermont Trip!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by EricGDR, May 20, 2009.

1. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    This will be my first real ride ever on the venerable Viffer, and I can't wait to leave! We're (My father and I) traveling up Route 100 in Vermont and then across the adirondacks - The weather's looking good and sunny thus far - Hope it'll stay that way. I'm all too familiar with murphy and his BS law. (road in the presence of a tornado in Wyoming on previous trip...)
    However, It doesn't matter either way. It's going to be nice to get out and put some miles on.

Has anybody else ridden rt. 100 before? I hear it's very scenic and enjoyable.
    Hopefully I can upload a few pics after the trip.
    :thumbsup:

2. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Rt. 100 is very nice, just watch the frost heaves. There are a few gaps you can cross as you travel north or south, make sure you DO NOT MISS the Appalachian Gap(Rt. 17)!!

The Deal's Gap of the Northeast!!

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    If I wasn't going to Maine tomorrow I'd join you!

Where are your start and end points on 100?

Seb's right - do route 17 over App Gap. Then turn around and do it again. Great ride!

4. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    We're beginning in Bennington and riding to Burlington and taking a ferry across Lake Champlain.
    Unfortunately, we haven't the time to ride on Rt. 17, but we'll definitly include it into a future ride.
    We're actually still preparing and giving everything a last once-over at this point.
    Thanks for your comments and ideas though guys.

5. Viffer2003

Viffer2003 New Member

Rt 100 is a beautiful trip, you guys will have a blast. Just watch when you hit the towns, speed drops from 50ish to 30, and the leo's like to sit and wait...especially for out of state bike plates on a holiday weekend lol.

Have a great trip!

6. EricGDR

EricGDR New Member

United States
    Map
    Alright, the trip was completed in just two days and about 750 miles.
    The weather held out for the most part. However, we were soaked trying to load my bike during a rainy morning in Berlington. Besides that the weather was very sunny and between 50 and 75 degrees.
    I have concluded that a new windscreen is a must as the wind and bugs are redirected right off the screen and directly into my face. Several times my visor was literally caked with flies bits (while the windscreen was only lightly splattered) and my neck was sore from smacking into the wind for hundreds of miles.

The Viffer is truly a blast to ride. It's real quick and buttery smooth - I suppose it isn't necessary to tell anyone that on this forum though.
    The Metzler Z6's on the bike are pretty much done and I've ordered Continental Road Attacks which should arrive in a week or so.
    And I was happy with my fuel economy, too. Cherry Darling (the viffer's name... The Go-Go dancer's name from Rodriguez's planet terror...) was getting an average of 45 miles to the gallon while riding semi-conservatively.

Future adventures-
    Americade, Lake George
    The Blue Ridge Parkway
    Cabot's Trail